Electric Fuel Pump? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

I drove the Mustang into work yesterday in order to get its e-test, so I could permanently register it. It ran great all day (97 degrees!) until I was about 8 miles from my home. At about 90 degrees fahrenheit, I was on the long uphill approach to the canyon I live in and the car started losing power, seemingly starved for gasoline. I pulled over and noticed the fuel surging through the see-through gas filter. I let it idle for a couple of minutes and resumed the climb up the canyon. It did this 3 more times going up the hill until I'd climbed far enough for the temperature to drop to the high 70s. At that point, it ran fine.

I suspect what I was experiencing was vapor lock, brought on by heat, altitude, and gasoline with oxygenating additives to prevent pollution. I don't want to have this occur again, and suspect an electric fuel pump is probably the ticket.

I'd like to know if any of you have used an electric pump and if you used it in combination with the mechanical pump or standalone.I'd also like to know where you mounted it.

TIA.
Glenn 66 GT FB 351w-toploader-3.25 Trac-Loc 9-in. Former midwest Rustbucket. Now a trophy-winning, beautiful burgundy restomod - thanks to sheetmetal donations from 3 other Mustangs as well as some new panels and alot of cash.
mrgem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2005, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hello Glenn!I say you have your problem figured out very well.I have had an electric pump on my Mach 1 for at least 25 years.I have it mounted by the fuel tank and have it on a toggle switch so that it can be used when needed,(racing ,vapor lock,stealing gas for the lawn mower :winkgrin:what ever) I still use the mechanical pump and have no problems with the electric not running.I have a Holley "blue"pump which is over kill for what the car is used for now.I would not be afraid of an electric pump in tandom with the mechanical pump.Just mount it in a safe spot and you will be happy you did! Thats my .02. Good luck! FastE :highfive:
FastE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2005, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had exactly those symptoms under exactly those circumstances last summer. I installed a fuel pressure gauge at my carburetor and noted the pressure was dropping to as low as 0.5 psi. I replaced the fuel pump and that cured the issue. Now I have 6 psi all the time and I never have the lean bog uphills or vapor lock type symptoms.

I'd recommend replacing the fuel pump. You could replace your mechanical one with an electric one if you want. It's just more complicated. Several VMFers swear my the electric pumps. I have heard they are noisy.

The other issue with a weak mechanical pump is once it loses prime it can't get it back on it's own. You need to fix this. I let mine go too long and ended up with the car laying down on me...on the interstate...on vacation...with my wife and 3 kids in the car...out of state...solid traffic in all directions...in the middle-of-nowhere, KY (that's just North of Bonnieville, KY :rolleyes

Fix it and forget it. Mechanical or Electrical, you need a new pump.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2005, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Phil and fastE -- Thanks for the info!

While it is possible that the mechanical pump has failed, the engine and the pump only have 200 miles on them, so it is not likely.

The symptons of vapor lock are indistinguishable from a weak pump, as I recall, and vapor lock is a common problem at high altitude. Carter (Edelbrock) carbs seem particularly suceptible to it, too.

I've had an electric pump on other old cars, and typically mounted them back at the tank and allowed them to push the fuel up to the mechanical pump.

And yes, they were noisy (click, click, click)!

Does anyone have any recomendation as to which brand and capacity pump I should buy?
Glenn 66 GT FB 351w-toploader-3.25 Trac-Loc 9-in. Former midwest Rustbucket. Now a trophy-winning, beautiful burgundy restomod - thanks to sheetmetal donations from 3 other Mustangs as well as some new panels and alot of cash.
mrgem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2005, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Glenn,I think that I would go to the Summitt catalog and compare or just go to your local auto supply.I used to sell a real nice little pump that was made by or for Stewart Warner and auto pulse.If you are just using it for what you are saying just get one that is rated for around 6psi and you will not have to have an external regulator. FastE
FastE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2005, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a Holley Red Barrel in both my '66 and '69. Personally, I think a mechanical + electric is way overkill, and you could simplify it by running just one or the other.

On both my Mustangs with the electric pump, I have them mounted back by the tank and an extra fuel filter between the tank and the pump. I have the both wired to turn on with the ignition switch, but also have a kill switch under the dash on each.

The electric pumps are noisy, but the Holley Red's aren't that bad. At idle, you can just barely hear it over the exhaust with the headers an Dynomax SuperTurbos. As soon as you start moving, you can' hear it at all.

The Holley Red's put out a constant ~6 psi, so don't need a seperate regulator. Stay away, though, from the Carter electric. Once you turn it on, it sounds like a crop duster is landing in your trunk.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.