Is There A "Break-In Period" For Mufflers?? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just got the Magnaflows installed Tuesday and they sounded kind of wimpy at first, as were the old Turbo Thrushes. I was a little disappointed they weren't louder and had more tone to them.

Well, after driving the car a few miles I'm detecting the desired low and mellow "mustang tone" which is better than the "farm truck sounding single exhaust" I was hearing with the Thrushes. There seems to be a very perceptible increase in tone and resonance the more I drive the car. Its not much louder but the increased resonance has the effect of increasing the volume too.

This all is great to me. But the desired tonal results didn't happen immediately. I'm I imagining things or are these Magnaflows getting broke in with use?? ::

_______68 Mustang Fastback_________
Fuel Injected 302 - 4 Speed. Lots of Goodies.
twotoots2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2005, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not the most knowledgeable person on this subject (or anything for that matter). However, I do know that mufflers that use baffeling material definitely have a breakin period. However, I'm not sure if Magnaflow uses baffeling material in their mufflers.

Also, there is some debate about whether mufflers that don't use baffeling material have a break-in period. For instance, Flowmaster does not use baffeling material and some people say they break in and get louder, others say they don't. Personally, I have a flowmaster on my truck. A friend of mine also has the same flowmaster on his truck. He told me he definitely noticed a break-in. As for myself, I'm not sure, but I think it is a little louder now than it was when I first got it (a month or so ago), but it's not major.

Reference this thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums...rue#Post1228217
CBarnes69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2005, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Just got the Magnaflows installed Tuesday and they sounded kind of wimpy at first, as were the old Turbo Thrushes. I was a little disappointed they weren't louder and had more tone to them.

Well, after driving the car a few miles I'm detecting the desired low and mellow "mustang tone" which is better than the "farm truck sounding single exhaust" I was hearing with the Thrushes. There seems to be a very perceptible increase in tone and resonance the more I drive the car. Its not much louder but the increased resonance has the effect of increasing the volume too.

This all is great to me. But the desired tonal results didn't happen immediately. I'm I imagining things or are these Magnaflows getting broke in with use?? ::
might be a bit in terms of material being burned out... but that was for the old glass packs... Personally I have always thought that Magnaflows do NOT belong on a Vintage Mustang, I had them and they were way too smooth and quiet for my tastes... Went with the 2 chamber Flows with the stock manifiolds and have been very happy with the sound, and I can't see where the break in is for the flows... what is there to "break" in?? ::
The only things I stay true to are my family, my friends and my never ending desire to change my mind. I know alot of people that would love to have that choice and that chain. I am fortunate to have both.
66babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2005, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Trouble

Quote:
Personally I have always thought that Magnaflows do NOT belong on a Vintage Mustang, I had them and they were way too smooth and quiet for my tastes...

Guess you haven't heard my fastback....

68sig4.jpg

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified
Moby, 1971 Mach I - Occasional Driver
MiniMe, 1966 Mustang Jr. - For Fun

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified
Laurie_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2005, 12:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Magnaflow mufflers are a thru design. On a "center center" you can see right thru. The perforated core is wrapped in stainless mesh, and then a sound deadner, more or less depending on series. There is a small minor amount of "breakin" per say, as they get a bit louder. After about 30 days, they wont change. I've had Magnaflows on my truck 3 years (fairly quiet)and on the Mustang (pretty loud). To say "Magnaflows" are too quite is like saying "a car is too slow". Makes no sence because there are MANY different sizes, and models to choose from....from quiet to loud. Stainless, aluminized, round, 4x8x14 thru 21 5x9x14 thru 21 5x11x14 thru 21, XL series, polished series, SUV series....ect.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Too long of a muffler will induce a very quiet/wimpy sound based on the hp of the engine. but, over time as carbon builds up in the system the tone will get deeper because the higher pitched tones are being reduced.....and yes, the sound absorbsion material will slightly compack and a little burn off making it a little louder and deeper as well. An old trick that will slightly help speed things up is to shove a garden hose in the exhaust pipe (low volume), with the engine off & cold, putting water inside the muffler. Remove the hose and fire up the engine, yes, dirty water will blow all over the drivway so do this in the street and away from anyones car. The moisture will speed up the slight deteriation of the sound absorbing materials without damaging the remainder of the internals. After the carbon builds up in the engine, overall, this will make it a little deeper/louder also......an ol trick from the 50's.
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2005, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

maybe i am just tone challenged. But with both my old 40 series flows and now my new super 40's i noticed them to sound different after putting a few miles on them . I actually did not like how my super 40's sounded for a while, but now i love them. I think they sound much better than my old standard 40 series 2 chambers.

Magnaflow is really starting to gain quite a following with the mustang crowd. I was used to seeing and hearing them on late models for a while.
http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/66sta...hrissy3_1_.JPG 66 coupe,289,C4,Edelbrock cam,weiand stealth,edelbrock carb, Pertronix,3.55 gears-detroit locker,3"cowl hood,Hedman headers, 2.5" X pipe exhaust going out 2 chamber flows,front and rear sway bars, Eibach springs,KYB's, traction bars.91GT bucket seats,CD player, power locks and alarm. daily driven! http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/66stanger-01GT,5spd,cobra body kit,mineral gray.
Restomod66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

With the old Steel packed Smitty's, a break-in consisted of a soaking in drain oil before install. It would "speed up" the break-in process and definitely increase rap-ability! :: A few off and on's with the ignition key coming through town, also helped!! :rolleyes:
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

It's the muffler bearings. You have to get a few miles on them before they loosen up.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

The mufflers. and/or the pipes too, will need a month or so of driving to build up some carbon, and maybe some rust inside.
The tone is also dictated by the cam, carb, compression, valve size, headers, timing and other factors nobody can control.
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.