1969 Mustang Mach 1? Thought so but I was wrong!!! - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

I bought a much wanted 1969 Mach 1 to restore about 3 years ago. It was my first Mustang and I did not know enough to check the VIN to ensure it was a Mach 1. It had all the markings and the old paint markings matched that of a Mach 1. Recently I was checking the VIN and the window numbers tell me a different story. It seems it was not a Mach 1 it was an ordinary Mustang 351w with a FMX auto. Now what is in and on the car is everything that a Mach 1 would have had it is not a power steering or a/c car but the dash seats and markings are that of a Mach 1. The rear seat does not fold and there is no radio.

What should I do? Yes, I wanted a Mach 1 but do I really want to make a clone? Would it be better to restore it to original and accept what I have? I need some input I am at a loss and it is about time for paint. I have done all the body work and repair myself. Codes tell me it was Meadowlark yellow with deluxe interior.

Please help me make an informed decision.

thanks, don
edonward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2005, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

In 1969, the Mach1's didn't have a unique VIN identifier. I suspect you do have a Mach1. To make sure, contact Kevin Marti at www.martiauto.com and have him do a database search on your VIN. He has all of Ford's databases from 1967-1973.

'Electrical Guru: Let me Check Your Shorts! Ooops...that didn't turn out right.

MCA Historian
Midlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Check the door dataplate. If it matches the dash vin, then check the body code on the door tag. If the body code is 63A, it's a standard FB. If the code is 63C, it's a Mach. The dateplate can be repo'd so as Midlife states, the positive way to confirm is through a Marti report.

Tom
69 Sportsroof 351W
forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
a.m.d.g.
Go Navy!
SAC69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Man, who cares if it is a Mach 1 or a fastback....If you like the car, that is all that matters. Build the car like you want it.
Worry about the resale later, or, if you can't live with a fastback, sell it and buy a Mach 1....
It almost seems like there are more Mach 1's around than plain fastbacks...
I love my fastback, and, think it looks better than a Mach 1...of course mine is a '70....
Steve
[image]http://www.southernmustangandford.com/IMG_3807.JPG[image]
fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Couple of things, first the door plate does not match the vin. Second, part of me wanting to know is me feeling like a sucker for not checking. Finally I am trying to decide how to go with the paint I would rather have it painted original. I dont even know what marking a std mustang fastback had and I mean the original markings.

Just thought this would be a good place to get some input. I am not trying to have a perfectly restored car but I would like to know where it started and then choose what to change from there. And yes I feel like a dope for not checking the VIN before buying it.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think you should feel like a dope at all. It may yet turn out to be a Mach 1. If it isn't, you're not the first and surely not the last person who has been misled.
Build the car the way you want it to be. If you think that you will regret building it as Mach 1, if it turns out to be a plain Fastback, build back to original, sell it for what it is and get a real Mach 1.
I personally like the yellow color and think you could do alot worse than go with that.
I just bought a car, although it is just a Fastback and I can only find one VIN number, on the windshield. Everything else has either been painted over or replaced at some point. All I really know is that its a Mustang, lol.

Neil

1970 Sportsroof in a state of complete disassembly.
NEMICK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to TheShagg Send a message via AIM to TheShagg Send a message via MSN to TheShagg

WHO CARES. I don't see why people throw hissy fits about the "Mach 1" name.

- Word to yo mutha.
TheShagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

vin will not tell you whether it is a mach one or not in 69. if your car came with a 351w or bigger it could have been a mach one. is there a buck tag on the car. should be on the radiator support if it is a dearborn car and on the right fender apron if a muetchen car. at least thats what i have heard. the buck tag will tell you
astang68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

What is a buck tag I can look but I am not familiar with that. The tags I am aware of are all metal and there is one in the driverside corner of the window, driver door plate (which is not this cars cause the vin does not match, and one on the top side of the passengers fender under the hood. Is what you are talking about on the rad support a netal tag? Any additional help is much appreciated
Old 07-28-2005, 12:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Don
If you decide that a real mach is what you want, I have a friend who has a good straight rust free rolling shell (9" rear, spindles, tires and wheels. No: motor,trans,interior,wiring, I'm sketchy on how much glass it has.) with good burgandy paint. The story behind it's current condition is long and I wont go into it here. The tile is free and clear. I have seen the car and can attest to the above and could find out more or put you in contact with him.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mwc47sjc/...mfedition1.jpg
hotelbldr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2005, 12:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'll go on record for throwing a hissy fit over the iconic "Mach 1" name. If that's what you wanted and what you thought you bought, it's understandable you would be disappointed. The same goes for any other make like a Z28, Charger R/T or even a modern Corvette Z06. Any of these cars in their basic models is fine, but if you wanted and more importantly paid for the high performance model, I think it makes a huge difference if you had your mind set on something else.

With that said, fastbacks are cool and I think make better candidates for restomods. Hopefully edonward got it for a good price and can build something that will keep him interested and turn heads on the street. But if he really wanted a Mach 1, he should cut his losses because he'll never really be happy with it. Just my opinion.
Hooker Super Comp Headers, MSD Billet Pro Dizzy, MSD 6AL,
2.5" Stainless Magnaflow system with X-pipe, 620 coils up front and mid leafs in the rear.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity - Roger Penske
Flattman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2005, 12:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

As posted on door tag, 63C is a Mach 63A is a F/B. Mach should have hood scoop, quarter scoops, deluxe woodgrain door panels, dash, clock panel, and console with woodgrain insert. It may or may not have the rear fold down. If dash vin doesn't match door tag vin, then someone has either done this as fraud, or possibly the door came from another car and they didn't bother to preserve the original.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2005, 12:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ok, best I can tell from the information I have been given here the buck tag is what I have found (passenger fender) and the information from it is as follows:

13 20F 63A 2Y
9T02M212697 W YELLOW
DE RM MO 3S ET

9 1969
T Metuchen
02 Fastback
M 351 4v V8
212697 Numerical Sequence
W Yellow Meadowlark Yellow

13 ?
20F June 20, 1969
63A Fastback
2Y Standard nugget gold Vynal buckets

DE ?
RM ?
MO ?
3S ?
ET ?

If you know anything about the decode that is not listed or you feel may be incorrect please let me know.

Thanks, Don
Old 07-28-2005, 12:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
As posted on door tag, 63C is a Mach 63A is a F/B. Mach should have hood scoop, quarter scoops, deluxe woodgrain door panels, dash, clock panel, and console with woodgrain insert. It may or may not have the rear fold down. If dash vin doesn't match door tag vin, then someone has either done this as fraud, or possibly the door came from another car and they didn't bother to preserve the original.
Well that is why it was so disturbing to find that it was not a Mach the door tag does say 63A but the Vin does not match the window the tag on the fender does say 63A and matches the window. That said someone put in all the extras, hood scoop with turn signals, side scoops, wood grain door panels, mach one dash with clock, and wood grain center console. How hard would it be (read expensive) to convert everything back? I have already restored the Mach 1 door panels and partially restored the center console. Anyway you get my point. I was ready to do it right and now right may be a different direction. I was not modifying certain things to keep it as a Mach 1 and it is not one. I am ok with that I just am confused as to where to go with the project now. again I appreciate everyones info and I am not really as upset as I am wondering where to take the project now.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

RM I think means remote mirror. Appears you have a standard SportsRoof with a 351, which is not too common. I would get a Marti report to make sure it isn't a GT (buck tag not showing it though) and if your heart is set on a Mach sell the SportsRoof. But if your plans aren't to restore a Mach 1 back to original and you have a real solid foundation you probably should just clone this one. If it was mine I might turn it into a GT clone (if I could locate one of those hard to find GT gas caps). Good luck.

1969 Indian Fire SportsRoof
1969 Lime Gold 428 CJ Grande 1 of 37
1989 Black GT Convertible 22K miles
2006 Dark Toreador Red F-250 Lariat PSD CC 2WD
MCA # 24108
69grandecj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.