66 convertible - rear window plastic/glass -opinions - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Currently, I'm leaning toward a plastic window--the glass is somewhat more expensive, the glass folding mechanism is not warranteed, and I heard you had to unzip the window every time you put the top up or down--which seems a bit of a hassle. Any one have experience with both the glass and/or plastic windows? Please list the pros and cons. Can I later convert from plastic without having to replace the entire top?
66vert_nj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 12:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have the plastic on my 66 and like it, as long as you keep it clean. You actually should unzip it and stow it in the well every time you lower the top as this will keep it from possibly cracking. It really isn't a hassle at all.

Also, Meguire's has a product out specifically for cleaning the plastic window, called "PLASTX" that works well.
b09676 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2005, 06:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Stick with the plastic, just take good care of it and it will last for years. Helpful tips: keep it clean with plastic polish such as Meguires and place a good cotton towel on both sides when lowering the top to prevent scratches/wrinkles.

With the glass rear window you'll need to use a 67 window and well liner, you don't need to replace the entire top. The well liner for 67 is larger to allow the glass window to fit in the well. The glass window is a split design (split in half with a silicone strip in between the two pieces). The sealer can separate from the glass after a period of time, which is a con. Another con is that the glass rear window is more expensive.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1256729977
rmarks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2005, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Glass, it is a hassle to unzip, but it lasts and lasts. Plus you can see through it (both without distortion, and in the long-run because it doesn't turn yellow, or brown, or rust, or whatever.)

John Harvey
5R08A, "298"(+.060, 6,000+ rpm), T-10, Crane XR-i, Disc (F), Dual Master, Heim Strut Rods - Spherical Bearing LCAs, Roller Perches, Arning Drop, 1" & 75" Anti-Sway Bars, Export & Monte Carlo, "functional" hood scoop, and GW Subframes.

Victory Red, Eagle Wheels, Power Antenna, White Int. w/ Black trim, Right & *Left* Indicators, Tach, Cruise, and a Glass Rear Window.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/...psb38dc213.jpg
JSHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Plastic rear window should last for a long time. SWMBO's 1988 Alfa Romeo's rear window outlasted the top fabric. We use a product called Plexus on it. Aircraft owners use it for their plexiglass windshields and windows. Works really well.

If the rear glass was a one piece, I'd say there is no choice. However, with the two piece glass design, a properly maintained plastic window would be beneficial.
1965 Ford Mustang - All Weather Fighter
autoxsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Glass will, and according to many in my area who have used them, part at the silicone joint (no warranty on that as was mentioned) and I'd stay away from it. I have had excellent luck with plastic. In fact, I use a tinted one, clean it and when I put the tiop down and sandwitch it between two CLEAN cotton towls. The last one lasted over seven years and would have gone longer but I decided to change it out when I did the top. I have 8 years on this one and it looks like new. Also, I always dust it when I dust the rest of the car with the California Duster. If it gets water spotted, I clean it with a motorcycle windshield cleaner. Still looks new....
VictorII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

FWIW--I have a 67 convertible with the two piece glass. I had to re-silicone the glass halves two years ago and haven't had a problem with it since. I use the car as often as possible and the top goes up and down alot.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2005, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks to all for your comments. I'm going with the plastic window. One last question--if I don't unzip the window or place a towel on both sides when putting the top down, will it quickly damage the plastic, or just shorten the life from 7 years to say 4-5 years?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Don't worry about unzipping the window - just do it!! It takes all of 30 seconds so I'm not getting why you are reluctant to do it.
b09676 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2005, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

For the same reason I prefer a power top to a manual top--I like the idea of one button convenience. But I can live with 30 seconds--I just don't want to spend five minutes fiddling around.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

All have said the pros & cons of each. The shop that did my top & rear glass window (doing car back to orig. & it's how car was ordered) gave me two warnings. One always unzip and place cotton towels between glass as you put top down as this will help extend life a great deal on both the seam of glass and not scratch as much as the the halves won't rub. Second is never use paper towels to wipe the plastic or backlite glass as paper is a wood based product and over time will leave fine scratches. I like the glass because you don't get the wrinkle look of plastic. We'll see how long my glass lasts
Old 09-08-2005, 03:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks to all for your comments. I'm going with the plastic window. One last question--if I don't unzip the window or place a towel on both sides when putting the top down, will it quickly damage the plastic, or just shorten the life from 7 years to say 4-5 years?
It will scratch very quickly, likely in the first couple of times you put it down. The top mechanism lets the top move around when you drive so it will mark up the plastic. Not much but enough. It is well worth the minute or so to unzip it and place the towels.
VictorII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.