1973 Ignition lock cylinder and ignition switch removal help PLEASE - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm trying to figure out how to get the lock out of the steering column so I can then figure out how to get the ignition switch out to replace it. How does the lock cylinder come out? I tried searching and nothing showed up for the 71-73's. Everything I've read refers to a hole to the right of the keyhole, there is nothing like this on my steering column that I can see.

Thanks,
HokieDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have seen the hole in the column in my '71 repair manual, but my late-71 vert does not have the hole. I suspect sometime in '71 Ford eliminated it. There is a hole behind the steering wheel that releases the cylinder. You have to pull the steering wheel to get to it. However, you don't have to pull the cylinder to replace the ignition switch. It is located on the underneath side of the column below the dash. There is a rod actuator that the cylinder pushes that activates the switch. You should be able to just disconnect the switch from the harness and the column and replace it. The switch does have to be in the "lock" position when installed in order to adjust it properly. I'm sure Hemikiller and/or Qcodemachman will chime in here if anything I've said is incorrect. They are the resident '71-3 experts, and I believe Hemikiller may have the Ford repair manuals memorized. :winkgrin:

"You're almost as big as you say you are." -obsidianspider
jmoffett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just like jmoffett said,the switch is on the bottom of the column and can be changed with out removing the lock cylinder.I can check the shop manual this evening. FastE
FastE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2005, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I found the hole behind the black plastic ring that is attached behind the steering wheel with the 3 black screws. I guess I'll drop the steering column down this evening to get to the ignition switch. And when I install it, I'll make sure it is in the lock position.

I appreciate all the help.
HokieDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.