Does a 67/68 Fastback rear panel or bumper have a curve?? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Is the rear body panel supposed to have a slight curve to it between the two quarters? How about the bumper?

Built a 1967 Shelby GT-350 Convertible Replica, a 67 Vert resto-mod and also built a 427 FE 67 Shelby GT-500R (R Stands for Replica). 427 Side Oiler, toploader 4spd, 4 wheel discs, 9" traction loc and a perfect body. What more could you ask for? Now I car hunt and horse trade and I am currently looking for the next project! Always seeking that elusive "reasonable" Shelby.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2503347
olddustyrelics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mine does, I've always assumed it is correct, but I don't know for sure.
joe69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2005, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

My rear bumber does have a slight concave curve to it.

BeerMachine
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2005, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ditto for mine

Showmee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yep - mine curves just a little bit too.
After all the posts some time ago about the now-current inferior quality of aftermarket Nordan bumpers, I'll be sure to get my originals rechromed when the time comes. The new bumpers, I seem to recall, have no curve at all- dead straight (although I'm open to correction on that if any VMF'ers have proof to the contrary). I've especially noticed the slight curve on 67 Shelbys where the (original) bumper just doesn't seem to follow the straight lines of the Cougar taillights. On the regular Stangs with blank tail panels, it's a bit harder to detect.
[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), orig engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in summer of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 gear, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Opentracker roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)
jfstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 12:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sure, right after you back into your father-in-laws Caddy. :rofl:
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

got a repro bumper from Mustangs Unlimited...nice gentle curve...just like its supposed to be...

68 Fastback Ford racing crate 351 (385hp) 5 speed tremec tko, McCleod CLutch/Bell housing, Currie 9" posi w/370's, 4 whl disc, AC, 16" TTD's
6879hrses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just so we're clear, concave means curve inward towards the car, right? My 68 FB was like that and it looked fine UNTIL I tried to put a NOS flip down gas cap on and then I realized that the cap would not clear. In fact, the bumper had been hit at sometime in the past. Had to put a new Norton bumper on, that had no curve on it, to correct the situation. Incidently, the new Norton bumpers, if mine is a normal example, aren't the best in terms of chrome quality and thickness. Bumper vibrates when I shut the trunk. Mark
jaeger83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've got the original (rusty) bumper still on the back of my 68 fastback and it's got the curve in it. A few weeks ago I was at my local Mustang parts distributor (he sells Mustangs Unlimited stuff) and noticed a rear bumper for a 68 hanging on the wall. I got to talking with him and said that the bumper wasn't correct, it was straight. His response: "When Ford made the originals they were too long so they curved them to make them the right length. So now the companies that reproduce them make them the correct length to begin with. That's why they're straight" Them he offered to knock $20 off the price if I bought one of them. No thanks. I'll stick with the curve.
68 GT: Bought her in March/72 (1st car!) Tilt-away, upper & lower consoles, 351W w/Shelby 4bbl intake, Toploader w/Hurst shifter, 3.91 Nodular 9", 10 spokes w/Goodyear GSC 225/50/15, lowered 1", roller bearing & polyurethane bushings everywhere, negative wedge kit, eccentric eliminator, 600lbs springs, KYBs, under ride traction bars, subframe connectors, etc. etc. etc
Mustang_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.