Question about the location of the brake residual valve. - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have the Cobra Auto front discs, MC and stock rear drums. All new lines, dist block and an adj prop valve.
The brakes have been great since I got it back on the road, it just has a little too much travel before engaging. I have an adj. MC rod and it's adjusted to just before the brake light comes on.

From alot of searching and reading I realize I didn't install a res. valve in the rear line.
Question is, where should it go? Does it have to go close to the MC or can I put it at the rear ahead of the flex line going to the axle?
The rear would be an easy install, the front would need a re-do of the line. Doesn't matter to me, I just want to install it where it will work!

silverblueBP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

The residual check valve is located inside the master cyl.

Joe
joe69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2006, 04:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Agreed ... it's in the MC.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies, but the MC that Cobra Auto sells does not have a res valve in the body. It needs to be added to the rear line.
I bought a Wilwood 10 lb valve and it said to mount it near the MC, just wondering if it really matters where in line to install it.

silverblueBP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, but the MC that Cobra Auto sells does not have a res valve in the body. It needs to be added to the rear line.
I bought a Wilwood 10 lb valve and it said to mount it near the MC, just wondering if it really matters where in line to install it.
It's just a check valve so it doesn't realy matter where it goes. The main reason for mouning neer the MC is for easy access and to check for leaks.
Stroked66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think you are mixing up a residual valve and proportioning valve. The residual valve holds a slight amount of pressure in the rear lines (13 psi?) to overcome the spring pressure that otherwise would delay engagement of the rear brake shoes. The proportioning valve will NOT hold pressure in the rear brake lines. It merely allocates fluid between front and rear brakes.

The residual valve is no more than a rubber seal looking piece which fits behind the seat in the master cylinder. If you pull off the brake line to the front reservoir, then thread a drywall screw part way into the seat, you can yank on the screw with pliers and remove the seat. Behind that is where this residual valve should be.

In my limited experience, most rebuilt master cylinders lack the residual valve. Don't know why, but they are simply missing. Once you install the residual valve, you can either install a new seat or take the old seat and use fine sandpaper 220 or finer, to take out the scratches and goobers made by the drywall screw. To install the seat, simply place it into the hole and press it LIGHTLY so that is alligned straight. Then, when you tighten down the flare nut on the brake line, it will seat the seat to the proper depth. Makes a nice tight joint.

For more on the difference between proportioning valves and residual valves, see the website for Master Power Brake Corp. They probably have the best technical discussion of these valves and their operation I have read in 10 years of the hobby.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.