73 Mustang vin #s don't match - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

I bought this 73 Mustang convertible about 3 years ago and all the title and paperwork come back in my name without a problem. I have a copy of the old title in the previous owner name with the same Vin# as the present Vin#. The problem is I finally did a search of the Vin and body codes and they do not match a 73 convertible with a 351c engine, they code out to a 73 fastback with a 302 engine. I had the vins run by a cop friend of mine and the one on the title is valid.e one I found on the car doesn't even register with the state.. I was told that years ago titles and Vins where sometimes changed with a different one if the car had been in a wreck or had been stolen and stripped. When it was found they might give it a new Vin number. My concern is, I've put alot of money into this vehicle and I don't in the near future plan on selling it, but when I do, I don't want any hassles with the body codes not matching the vin and title. YOu would not even notice this discripency unless you went around the car and found those hidden vin codes. The title and the main vin number on the dash match perfect. Has anyone else ever had a similiar problem with an old car and if so did you have any problems when you went to sell it. ::

bluemustangconv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Personally, I'd remove the fastback VIN in the dash and have your DMV give it a state assigned VIN #. They may even use the real VIN, but stamped into a plate that will be affixed to the pillar. You'll have less issues ina sale situation with an assigned number than one in which the body code doesn't match the car.

Do you know the real VIN? Are the VIN stampings on the shock tower lips intact? Do you have the build tag, that might have been attached to the radiator support? If so, you might be able to get the car registered under that VIN, or have the state issue a tag with that number.

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
Hemikiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2006, 01:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

You need to pull one of the front fenders and see if the VIN on the inner structure matches your title and dash. My guess is that it does not. You may have a hot car on your hands.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...81_21_full.jpg
mod9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ummm, If the 4th digit in the VIN on the car is an F and the forth digit in the VIN on the title is an F, and your car has a 351 in it, then its most likely that your motor has been changed.

1969 Mustang LE600 Sportsroof - Groovy Green
1969 Mustang LE600 Coupe - Flower Power Red
1969 Mustang Sportsroof - Dark Jade
1969 Firebird 350 Conv - Mayfair Maze
1968 Cougar Hertz XR7-G (project)
1959 Oldsmobile Super 88
1963 Jaguar XKE Coupe (project)

[url=http://www.relicrecyclery.com/groovygreen/groovygreen.htm]
[url=http://www.relicrecyclery.com/]
manyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2006, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

What you are describing does not sound like a state-initiated VIN change, as the VIN on your title is still in a valid Ford format. The driver's door should have a tag with the VIN listed. Does that match the dash VIN? If not, and the door VIN correctly matches your car, then probably what happened is somebody had a cracked dash pad, found a good one on another car, and rather than switch just the pad portion, they replaced the whole top dash, metal and pad. With that metal piece came the VIN tag. If you read the door tag, it will say "not for registration purposes" or something similar. I believe the government required the placement of the VIN on the dash starting in '68, and this was to be the "official" VIN? Problem was, they weren't too permanent.

Your homework: compare the door tag VIN with the dash VIN. Also, as stated earlier, check for the buck (build) tag on the passenger side radiator support (facing the headlight bucket and front of the car). If present, there is a VIN stamped on that as well. Compare that to the dash VIN too. If you provide the proper homework (ie, how the letters and numbers code out), you may wind up with enough proof to get your car VIN corrected properly. Then again, it may not be possible at all, and you have to go with a brand new, state generated VIN as Hemi states.

Good luck, and let us know what the door and buck tags (and as a last resort, the fender apron) VINs come out to be.
71grande is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.