What way does the water pump flow for the heater core? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

I read some where that the heater core flow needs to be restricted to keep from damaging the heater core. I put a blue thunder intake on and had to cut the old threads off of the old fitting and weld a new smaller one on. The old fitting had a tube coming from it and at the time I wasn’t sure what it was for but I now I think this was to restrict water flow. I also put a high flow water pump on at the same time I put an intake on. I think what I’m going to do is weld a washer on the end of the fitting and I’m not sure what direction the water flows. Does it flow from the intake to the heater core or does it flow from the pump to the core. This is for a 69 Mustang 428

1969 Mach1 428 4-speed 3:89 gears,
31 spline posi "N" case, ported edelbrock heads,
full length headers, 292H Comp cam, 750 holley.
Born July 17, 1969

2002 SVT Lightning, Supercharged
1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce

http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/55/855/...7OAFnSf_th.jpghttp://thumb8.webshots.com/t/24/24/9...8cudqTY_th.jpghttp://thumb7.webshots.net/t/50/750/...7lmBPYC_th.jpg
02Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
I read some where that the heater core flow needs to be restricted to keep from damaging the heater core.
Never heard that one before. The coolant system is a closed loop and will build up to whatever pressure your cap is. If you have an 18 psi raidiator cap, your whole system is going to be 18 psi regarless of flow or no flow. The heater core is naturally restricted by its inlet size. Restricting it further sounds like a recipe for cold feet.
jesmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

IIRC, the coolant flow thru the core is based upon the suction at the water pump connection, not pressure from the manifold connection. I have been using a high flow water pump without any problems.

Are you asking about the short non-threaded extension that are on some heater fittings?
66HertzClone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
I read some where that the heater core flow needs to be restricted to keep from damaging the heater core.
Never heard that one before. The coolant system is a closed loop and will build up to whatever pressure your cap is. If you have an 18 psi raidiator cap, your whole system is going to be 18 psi regarless of flow or no flow...
Actually there is not equal pressure throughout the system. Inside the engine block there is very considerably higher pressure because the volume of water being pressed by the pump is attempting to work through relatively small passages (particularly through the head gaskets). In fact, building higher pressure inside the block (about 40 psi) is one of the priniciple tasks of the pump so as to insure that there are fewer air bubbles/pockets lining the block surfaces (which resist heat transfer). Once the water gets past the thermostat the water will move much more slowly and with less pressure (but up to the cap preset limit). This means, of course, that it also slows (and lowers in pressure) on route to the heater core. I've never heard of the need for a restrictor.

Here's a very useful cooling system tech article.

With respect to your question, the hoses run from your intake to the bottom-most fitting on your heater core, and then back to the pump.

- Gord
gfmccann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok, found the article in the back of the 2006 March Mustang Monthly labeled “Core Under Pressure” The guy has a 67 Mustang with a 390 and replaced the heater core twice and now it’s leaking again.
Mustang Monthly states the heater core was damaged from excessive flow, causing them to swell until they leak. They say the factory control for the coolant flow to the heater core is varying the shape of the heater-hose fitting in the intake manifold.
So, this just threw up a flag for me to do something about my fitting before my heater core starts leaking.

1969 Mach1 428 4-speed 3:89 gears,
31 spline posi "N" case, ported edelbrock heads,
full length headers, 292H Comp cam, 750 holley.
Born July 17, 1969

2002 SVT Lightning, Supercharged
1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce

http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/55/855/...7OAFnSf_th.jpghttp://thumb8.webshots.com/t/24/24/9...8cudqTY_th.jpghttp://thumb7.webshots.net/t/50/750/...7lmBPYC_th.jpg
02Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, found the article in the back of the 2006 March Mustang Monthly labeled “Core Under Pressure” The guy has a 67 Mustang with a 390 and replaced the heater core twice and now it’s leaking again. Mustang Monthly states the heater core was damaged from excessive flow, causing them to swell until they leak. They say the factory control for the coolant flow to the heater core is varying the shape of the heater-hose fitting in the intake manifold....
Interesting. Well I think your idea with using a washer would work just fine. And considering the kind of heat a big-block can generate it's not likely you'll have issues with lack of heat. I'd suggest you go ahead with your plans so you'll have one less issue to worry about.

- Gord
gfmccann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.