How difficult is it to remove hood/hinges and reinstall? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Going to do a full underhood detailing. I can't help but think it will be much easier to remove the hood. My hinges and springs need to be stripped of paint, too.

My only hesitation is that my car is finished, and my hood is relatively new with PERFECT paint and PERFECT fit. I am scared to mess it up. My body man who did it for me is now 400 miles away. I could likely get some help, but our collective experience doing this sort of thing will likely be low.

Do you think the risk is too high? I'd die if I dropped my hood on my fender or some crazy accident like that.

Custom Show Boards
66gtk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have my hood off right now doing the same thing.. You will want an extra person there to help you. It was easy with two people. I can't see it being very easy with just one person. One thing you will want to do is lay a nice blanket across the cowl area that way you can rest the edge of the hood there without scratching anything. Then lift it off and store it. I have mine stored in a closet in my house covered with a blanket. Now getting it back on and adjusted is another story, I have not gotten that far yet.
ariff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
White Elephant Guy

Send a message via AIM to obsidianspider Send a message via Yahoo to obsidianspider Send a message via Skype™ to obsidianspider

I have to agree. With two guys, removing the hood is pretty straightforward. As you can see by my sig pic, I'm not ready to put it back on yet.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Like said previously, easy to remove with 2 people and put a thick blanket on the cowl and fenders. The challenge is putting it back on, not much fun trying to adjust!

1929 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan
1986 GT Convertible

<><
palmaceae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Try this: if you have a garage with the truss joists' exsposed tie 2 ropes from the ceiling joist, go buy 2 5 pound magnets $7 each at home depot.. park your car under the ropes with just foward of the halfway point on your hood. put the magnets on the sides of the hood towards the front, I used 3 layers of paper towels under the magnets, now tie the ropes on the eyes that are on the magnets and pull them tight NOT TO TIGHT, now pull the bolts and the hood will hang, EXCELLENT way for 1 person to pull a hood. HINT: may sure the magnets are not going to slide off the hood if you find the right balance it works great..
fastbackfolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Take it off with a helper as everyone mentioned. The blanket at the cowl is important too. Use a water based marker to mark the corners of the hinges on the hood as well as the hood bolt locations. Do something similar on the engine compartment side and you should be able to drop it back into place with only a little bit of adjustment. When it's where you want it, just wipe off the marker. It's not hard to get everything aligned, it just takes patience sometimes.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3373/sigpic6zf.jpg

Life...it's the stuff that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

EJD68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Before you remove the hood, drill two tiny holes thru each hinge into the hood. When you are ready to reinstall the hood the holes will be used to realign the hood.

Mike

White 1973 (351C stroked to 408, 4V, FMX) convertible with blue deluxe interior AC and power windows.

Irwin Pa (MCA # 52193)
70stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Before you remove the hood, drill two tiny holes thru each hinge into the hood. When you are ready to reinstall the hood the holes will be used to realign the hood.

Mike
If you'd rather not drill holes you can apply tape strips on the hood next to the side and top of the hinge bracket.

Same technique can be used to locate hinge base to apron wall, but might be aproblem if you're trying to strip paint in that area.
Stroked66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Removing and repositioning the hood isnt terrible. But, if you plan on removing the hinges, that's another story!! :horror: I still haven't been able to get mine to line up properly.. :wall:
'67 BEFORE 200, 3-speed...........'66 BEFORE 200, 3-speed
I know there both blue, purely coincidence..
btanzola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.