Laquer Thinner - Carb Soak? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

I realize it is extremly flammable and dangerous, however has anybody used lacquer thinner as a solvent for cleaning a carb during a rebuild? Does it remove dirt/deposits in passages? Does it remove the plating? (I am not looking to remove it). If this is a no-no can anybody reccomend anything else that will work? I don't plan on rebuilding carbs for a living so I don't want to invest in a carburetor dip tank. I tried the 1 gallon can from the parts stores about 5 yrs ago and found it useless since you can't put the carb inside of it.

Thanks,

Dan
dm289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

When you disassemble the carb (float bowls, metering plates, etc), the parts will fit inside the gallon can basket, at least a Holley 750 did....

*67 Vintage Burgundy 390GTA with most of the bells and whistles*
JeffTepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Simple Green works well.
red1970mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

A broken down Holley will fit in a gallon can, but an Autolite 4100 sure won't. My solution was to buy two cans of the carb soak and a big cheap stainless steel cooking pot. A 4100 carb fits that just fine.
Real carb soak is more like paint remover than anything else. Nasty caustic stuff, but I don't know of anything better to really clean a carb.
Though lacquer thinner is quite volatile, it's basically just paint thinner and almost the same thing as spray can carb cleaner. Helpful, but it has limited effect on really nasty deposits. Yes, you can use it, just don't expect nearly as much effect as carb soak. I have an air-pressurized can I keep filled with lacquer thinner that I use just like carb cleaner. It works just as well if not better and I can refill it myself from a 5 gallon can. I use the sprayer for all kinds of stuff including final parts cleaning before paint or assembly. (Not while smoking)
Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

You can buy Berriman's (sp) carb cleaner in a gallon paint bucket. It's made just for what you are doing. I would go that route. I have used it and it works great. Disassemble the carb drop it in and let it sit overnight.

I love laquer thinner, but it is too volitle let stand open over night.

California car born an I6, now with warmed up 289 w/T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel. Owned since 1983.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../2355879_3.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../2355879_2.jpg
66coupe289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.