65 289 new rebuild, timing indicator 180 degrees off - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

I just rebuilt my 289 engine, it has ran only a few minuets, when I put the timing light on it I could not find a chalk mark that I put on the TDC mark on the harmonic balancer, I then put a + and a - chalk mark about two inches from TDC to see if they showed up - no they did not..I crawled under the car with the engine at idle and they were 180 degrees off...How is that possible the Harmonis balancer is keyed - only goes one way..And yes the engine is running good - I can not have the dist off 180 degrees or it would not run...Whats wrong here?
KC2DSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Depending on the year the timing marks are on opposite sides. Depends on what year balancer was used with what year timing chain cover setup. Is it a 3 bolt or 4 bolt balancer? 69-70 had the mark on the passenger side where 71-73 had it on the driver's side due to the changed side of the water pump outlet. Not real sure on the 66's since I've never had one.

69 Coupe
73 Coupe

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...age_edited.jpg
69RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

If the cam shaft was installed 180 degrees out, I think that would happen. I would not affect the engine operation however. The timing mark on the cam should point at the crank and the one on the crank gear should point up at the cam gear. If they were installed with the cam gear mark pointing up, they would be 180 out. Someone correct me if I am wrong. (page 8-64 of 66 manual)
SWMBO's '66 Coupe 289, 2-V, C-4(Pony Interior, Rally Pac, A/C & Tiffany Stripe) & An absolutely rust free '65 289-2V C-4 coupe project now UPGRADED to about 99.78%. Now only a few more days. Well, since the fuel fire, add about another month to that. SWMBO says it failed the "Smoke Test". Only took 13+ years.
Gas_Pumps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have the original 3 bolt 65 balancer, and I assembled the engine myself and I made sure the cam to crank marks did point at each other just as the previous post said, the only strange thing was that the cam had a "dot detent" type of mark..I guess since it is running ok - I will leave it as is, I timed the engine to the highest idle speed with the vacume advance plugged.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

You have the orginal Bal,
The outer ring may have slipped 180 out.
Causing the miss mark of tdc.
bring number 1 to tdc and see where the mark is, it may be Time for a new one.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
If the cam shaft was installed 180 degrees out, I think that would happen.
There's no way to install a cam shaft 180 degrees out. Since the cam shaft turns once for every 2 revolutions of the crank, you can install the cam with the pin up or down, and it makes absolutely no difference.

Think of it this way ... without the cam, the pistons are just going up and down. They have no idea if they are going up on the compression stroke, or up on the exhaust stroke. The cam is what decides which it is.

The timing marks pass the pointer on both the exhaust and the compression stroke. The timing light only lights, however, when the plug fires, so it flashes once for each cam shaft revolution, or every other crank revolution.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

If it's a 3 bolt balancer, it's time for a new one. It has slipped way too far to be safe. All 3 point balancers have the marks in the same place, and none of the balancers have it 180 degrees different, or you'd have to be underneath the car to use a timing light.

The 4 bolt balancers have the timing marks about 70 - 100 degrees different, depending on the year. They would show in about the 10 o'clock or 11 o'clock position (again, depending on the year).
Old 06-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have another 3 bolt harmonic balance off a 67 289 mustang - it has a C8** marking instead of C5**, are all the three bolt balancers interchangable?
Old 06-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to camachinist Send a message via AIM to camachinist Send a message via Yahoo to camachinist

Just for the heck of it, put your timing light pickup on the #4 plug wire and tell us what you see. I'm assuming you have the OEM 289 firing order and I'm also assuming that you are locating #1 on the pax side of the vehicle (LHD).

Pat

Visit my MySpace Blog
camachinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

The spark plug wires were switched, I tried to drive the car and there was no power like a plug wire was not hooked up , what was amazing here was how well it ran with the wires crossed in the garage...I have only gone about one mile..lot of things need adjusted....Thanks to everyone for the posts..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.