How tight should the rear shackle bushings be? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

The shackles I recently received seem to just pop in and out of the frame rails (1967) and the leaf springs, and I can move them around a bit.. However at the sides of the bushings they are a bit bigger (this area is only about 2mm wide or so though). Is that wider area supposed to get stuffed into the rails and the leaf? I assume not. I assume the skinnier part is the part that makes the most contact, however there is a bit of space in there.. Wrong shackles, or is this normal?
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2006, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

The bushings should touch each other in both the frame rail and the leaf spring. The "stepped" portion will be between the spring/frame rail and the shackle half.

As long as they are snug, they should be fine. If there's a ton of play, though, they'll probably get chewed up, and your suspension will be sloppy.

To get mine in, in both my '66 and my '69, I had to lube them with some WD-40 to get them to go in, because they fit so tight.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know whats up then.. This is not good.. I can just throw them in there, there is probably a mm or two of space around them? Judging from the catalogues, they are the same from 65-73 (Mine is a 67)? Is there supposed to be a metal sleeve or something? That is that metal sleeve thats already welded into the frame rail, but they still wiggle in there. And the back of the coil spring is just wrapped around, but I don't think there is supposed to be a sleeve in there?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

There is no sleeve. The bushings are supposed to fit very snugly. The bushing lip is NOT supposed to go inside the frame. Sounds like you have the wrong bushings since they are loose in both the spring and the frame.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2006, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thats what I'm thinking, but how can that be? THere seems to only be one bushing used from 65-73, and they came with the shackles (And the center of the bushing seems like it fits the shackle 'nut')? Looking forward to hearing possible causes before I request an exchange. thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.