Value of a 1965 (1964.5) convertible? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My cousin has an early 1965 or what some consider a 1964.5 convertible that needs total restoration. He is going to be selling it (when we figure a value I will post it on the appropriate cars for sale forum). He started a restoration by totally disassembling the car,tearing down the motor and replacing some sheetmetal. He now just wants to sell the car as-is. He does not know vintage Mustangs very well so he asked for my help in placing a value on the car. Well, I know 69-73 Mustangs fairly well, but not much about the earlier ones. I have done some research throughout this forum and other venues though. This is what I know about the car. It decodes out to be Rangoon Red with standard black interior, 260 V-8, c-4 transmission and a production date of July 18, 1964. It has the large, frame mounted horns, generator charging system, horn relay under the voltage regulator, beveled "unfinished" hood edge, radiator support with cooling vents, distributor with oil wick and a couple of other items that indicate an early 1965 convertible. The car is in pieces though and very rough. It does need alot of rust repair (i.e.- floors, torque boxes, trunk, one rear quarter, etc.) but all the numbers that I am aware of are there. My cousin realizes this is a major project car. But it is rebuildable and being an early V-8 convertible I think it should be restored. I told him and he does realize that it is not worth much. But can anyone give a ballpark number on where he should start? The numbers I see have such a wide range.
TWOsFamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

5k-ish? SWAG but seems I've seen such deals before
Old 11-17-2006, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Keep in mind that it is much more difficult to sell a disassembled car than one that is together even if the overall condition of the components are equivalent. I've looked at a few "restoration started"s and did not get them because the asking price was that of an assembled car. The down sides are a disassembled car requires a significantly larger amount of storage space, not having disassembled it there is some missing knowledge of how it goes together and what parts are not there anymore or were chucked out, and it's a significant amount of work to make it a driveable car again.
So essentially you are loking for someone with knowledge, significant space and time. I'm not trying to knock the car or you, just giving my perspective.
Someone takes his pants off and the rafters knock
Rock is dead they say
Long Live Rock!
67 conv. 289 4spd(mine), 67 coupe 289 Export(swmbo's)

ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

one on ebay now,2nd time no sale for 2000,i sugest starting at 500 and go from there. wes
mustang656man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

I also feel start at around $500.It sounds like a $1500 car.It is a 64 1/2 so you never know someone may pay up?Good luck with the sale
EastCoastClassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well like most of the others I see the biggest stumbling block as the fact that the car is in pieces. You are talking many many 100s of hours to put it back together correctly.

Also having a C4 instead of a 4 speed drops the value a bit as well.

The way I figure out value is to take my best guess as to what it would be worth restored, and then subtract however much I think it take to get the car to that state.

So say if it were restored well it would be worth $30,000. You are looking at somewhere between $10,000 and $13,000 for body and paint. $3,500 to $7,000 (just the top alone is going to be well over a $1,000) for all interior work, replacement, and reconditioning. $4,000 to $8,000 for reconditioning or rebuilding the mechanical systems. Plus I'm sure a lot of other things that you would find along the way.

I would guess less than $2,000. But it just comes down to finding the correct buyer.

John Harvey
5R08A, "298"(+.060, 6,000+ rpm), T-10, Crane XR-i, Disc (F), Dual Master, Heim Strut Rods - Spherical Bearing LCAs, Roller Perches, Arning Drop, 1" & 75" Anti-Sway Bars, Export & Monte Carlo, "functional" hood scoop, and GW Subframes.

Victory Red, Eagle Wheels, Power Antenna, White Int. w/ Black trim, Right & *Left* Indicators, Tach, Cruise, and a Glass Rear Window.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/...psb38dc213.jpg
JSHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm working on a similar project right now. JH is correct with his south of $2k comment.
1950 GMC 250 Truck - 216 4spd
Kerrlake65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

My 66 convertible was purchased in the same condition. There was not a nut or bolt to be found in that unibody. It took an enormous amout of time to sort through all the boxes of parts, fasteners etc. to figure out what I had and what was missing. I too believe that your asking price should start at or below $2000.

Scott
scottstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

1000-1300 tops.
boss1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

I was thinking in the $1500 range after taking a good look at the car and reading the feedback. Thanks for the help!
TWOsFamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.