tri power set up - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

About to purchase an A code 65 fastback that has a vintage ford tri power set up on it tat evidently came off a 66 shelby ( manifold and carbs)
What is this system worth? It was completely rebuilt by Pony Carburetor in New York I was told.

Chances are I will leave it on because the guy says it runs great on the car, but I also know there are probably some Shelby guys dying to have it.

Thanks

Roy

tnsauthority is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to GT_SCODE

Not going to be original to any shelby.

They have one for sale now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...mZ250050646659
Old 12-05-2006, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Are you sure it is an original or an aftermarket. I bought my aftermarket one from Carl's Ford Parts. Check them out on the link below.

http://www.carlsfordparts.com/main.html

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...81_21_full.jpg
mod9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 03:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

What's better, tri-power or dual quads?

http://media4.dropshots.com/photos/1...208/172627.jpghttp://media3.dropshots.com/photos/1...115/174933.jpg
--"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'--
--------------------------------------"The harder you work, the luckier you get."-Gary Player--------------------------------------
Website
Meyer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I can only speak of the tri-power from personal experience. Had it on a 64 Falcon Sprint with a hot 289. Wasn't much for gas mileage, but, man, when you stepped on it, that noise - "WAP" - it was just awesome ! Instantaneous throttle response No sucking air, no spooling up to the rpm's; throttle response was right there. To me, it definitely needs a cam to make it work. If you wanted any kind of gas mileage, you could disconnect the linkage on the two end carbs and only run on the center 2 bbl for cruising. Just make sure you don't get racy situations with the ricers while you're cruising, 'cause it won't happen with the carbs disconnected.
1969 Fastback, original 302, .030 over, Performer cam, Dart 58cc iron heads, 1.94/1.60, original C4, lots and lots and lots and lots of chrome and 20 year old custom paint. She's fired again after 2 years. Sounds healthy.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2715564
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...564_1_full.jpg
kruser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think the general consensus is a big single 4V is better in most cases; however I really want a 3x2 FE setup for my 390. I think they look amazing!
Old 12-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

I agree, a properly sized and tuned single 4 brl will usually run just as strong if not stronger than multi-carb set ups. On the other hand, if properly tuned and well matched to the needs of the engine, there's no reason a 3x2 intake wouldn't pull just as hard as a single 4 but the key is proper tuning which is much more difficult with a multi-carb system and is kind of a lost art these days. The factories started using 3x2's and 2x4's before single carbs were available large enough to feed performance versions of the big motors they were using. That said, I still love the look of a dual quad
Old 12-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickmaan
The factories started using 3x2's and 2x4's before single carbs were available large enough to feed performance versions of the big motors they were using.
Excatly! I like both the 2x4 and 3x2 look; not a big fan of the single webers though.

They have nice 2x4 FE intakes now but the carb and linkage stuff makes me too nervous to give it a try.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just pointing out, that although "off a 66 Shelby" sounds real good in the story, they never built any 66 Shelby's with Tri-power.
But, that manifold was sold in the "Cobra-kit" catalog through Ford dealers
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

According to an article in Mustang Monthly awhile back a 3x2 SB setup is much rarer than a BB 3x2 setup. I have an orig Ford 3x2 setup on my 390GT. I installed it to make my car stand out @ shows and it sure does. Bought it from a friend which made my decision easy. When I had my orig. engine rebuilt by a shop than does a lot of work on circle track race cars, I was told to be careful not to select a wild cam to go with the 3x2's as it would only draw to much fuel and "wash the oil". We know what can happen after that. So I let him select a cam. As far as power, engine builder told me if that was to be my goal then go with dual quads. 3x2's will give you somewhat better economy but mostly a show piece. Mine drives just fine after setting it up. One note on BB 3x2 setup, has no ported vacuum so you also need to install the correct FE dual point mechanical advance setup. Not sure about the vacuum setup for SB. Also BB setup MUST come from a Galaxie not a T-Bird. I think these are cool, keep it.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

By personal experience the 3x2s were a better performance on the SB than the dual fours. BBs had a larger CFM and c.i.s to better hand the transition of the dual fours. I'd stick with the 3x2s...

As said the three-dueces were an over-counter order thing; thinking back I think the two I've had were both marked FoMoCo not Shelby nor Ford, but it's been many years...

The A.B.C.s of the '66 GT350- Accelerometer, Beatermeter, Clock
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/fo...Instuments.jpg
289fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 12:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

I once installed this set up on my then new 66 Comet GT 390. I couldn't tell any difference in the power, maybe less than with the 600 Holley I was running. I found out that the tri power I had was from a 406 and the 335 hp 390 had different ports in the heads-the ports in the heads did not align perfectly with the intake. They looked great and I tuned them without much trouble. The linkage was progressive, so I cruised on 2v, had 6v at wot.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

There's a great article on the 3X2 in this months Mustang Times. If you get a chance to grab a copy (if not an MCA member), it is good reading.
RedGTvert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 01:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Ronstang1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Ronstang1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_SCODE
I think the general consensus is a big single 4V is better in most cases; however I really want a 3x2 FE setup for my 390. I think they look amazing!
Actually a properly tuned Weber setup trumps any other carb setup, although I have always liked the 3x2 setup.

1957 T-Bird
1966 Shelby G.T.350H
1966 Mustang Fastback Restomod under construction
Ronstang1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.