390/428 Engine Mounts: Do They Have a New Style Now??? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

My 67 GT-500 clone is supposed to have an engine plate, an FE motor mount and then a shock tower bracket on each side for engine mounts. Just for kicks I had the local parts store look them up and sure enough, the rubber mount is listed for about $10. They are shown with the same part number for 68,69,70 428 and 71 429 which is supposed to be correct for the mounts I need. But it lists them as a right hand or left hand and I am pretty sure that the factory 68 428/390 mounts can fit either side. So I have them order them to take a look. When I opened the box I could see right away that they were not what I was expecting. But instead they look like a one piece mount that incorporates the engine mounting plate AND the rubber mount together. The engine side looks like it should mount to the engine bolt holes fine. The shock tower side has the correct side flanges for the one long bolt that is supposed to hold it to the engine stands. But I can't tell short of a trial fit if they will work in place of the two piece mounts.

Is this a replacement design made to eliminate the need for the seperate engine plate? Or are the parts books wrong and and these won't work? Anyone tried them??

Built a 1967 Shelby GT-350 Convertible Replica, a 67 Vert resto-mod and also built a 427 FE 67 Shelby GT-500R (R Stands for Replica). 427 Side Oiler, toploader 4spd, 4 wheel discs, 9" traction loc and a perfect body. What more could you ask for? Now I car hunt and horse trade and I am currently looking for the next project! Always seeking that elusive "reasonable" Shelby.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2503347
olddustyrelics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2006, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey James,
Let me know if they work ? I need a set of motor mounts for an FE too ! I found a local guy with a set for $100 sounded like too much to me ? Good luck, chris
vamustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

If they are all three pieces for each side that would be a good deal.

Built a 1967 Shelby GT-350 Convertible Replica, a 67 Vert resto-mod and also built a 427 FE 67 Shelby GT-500R (R Stands for Replica). 427 Side Oiler, toploader 4spd, 4 wheel discs, 9" traction loc and a perfect body. What more could you ask for? Now I car hunt and horse trade and I am currently looking for the next project! Always seeking that elusive "reasonable" Shelby.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

I read your post on the FE Forum. It sounds very interesting to me. I'd love to see pictures of these. What brand are they, and what are the part numbers?
Scode67FB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 03:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to GT_SCODE

I also would like to see pictures. I had to hunt down the engine side of the mounts and the rubber mount and paid over $200 for them on ebay.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Okay, saw your pictures on the FE site. They look weird, but I think they'd work. I wonder if they affect the installed engine height.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

I don't have any way to know since I don't have any to compare them to. I was hoping someone over there would have looked at the pics with the ruler next to it and done a comparison to original ones. I'm going to make sure they bolt up to a 428 and 427 tomorrow. Then the only other thing to check would be the hight and angle of the mounting tabs. I'll take more pics of them mounted to the engine.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

I knew I should have taken some pics before I installed mine (in case others would ask)as I too was not to sure if my hood would close. My engine still had the orig. rubber mounts (rh & LH should be the same I think). I did buy extra set of rubber mounts years ago but just put them away. The frame mounts are two pieces. My concern was from reading that one of the pieces (mounts maybe) was unique for a 'vert., suppose to have diff. height. I could never verfy this. Perhaps Bill @ Mansfield Mustang could answer as he specializes in FE stuff.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Still interested in these. Did you try them yet? How about some manufacturer part numbers so I can look them up?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah. Looks like they will not work. Apparently they are for 429 cars that have a different bolt mount. I tried!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.