Convertible top leaking air? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have had this situation for a couple of years but thought today I might ask a question about it. My convertible top raise in the center front a little bit at 50 MPH or so. This of course causes a breeze (slight) throughout the inside of the car. I can't believe this is normal. The side clamps seem to be pretty tight. Do they have to be really, really tight to stop this?

Any advice to solve this situation would be appreciated as it would be nice if I can find a simple way stop it.

Thanks
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

The convrtible top should be held down to the two middle bows to prevent balooning, or raising up. This raising up is caused mainly by the air flow over the top side. Even with the windows up and idealy sealed the top would still baloon if not held down by the retainer strips on the center bows.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

So are you saying that it is not connected properly to the bows in the frame?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

How tight are your clamps. If it seems a bit loose, adjust the hooks in 1 full turn on each side. That will help.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mine does it, too. I figure it is metal fatigue from all of the years of use. It is adjusted correctly. It doesn't leak water, just a little (cold) air and it is really noisy when driving into high winds. The center bows are solid and prevent any balooning. Go figure. I cobbled up an over center toggle clamp to hold the center of the front bow down. I made an aluminum base to hold the clamp that mounts under the rear view mirror and a small u-shaped device with the clevice that came with the clamp that I hook to the top bow. I use electrical tape on the device so it doesn't scratch the bow. If the wind is strong the clamp gets over powered, I use black duct tape to hold the clamp closed. It is nearly invisible. One of the Mustang magazines is interested in doing an article on it, but I have to make it presentable! The local Mustang shop tells me that this is a common problem unless the top is installed a little loose.
VictorII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know. You'll have to check. There's a skinny sleeve that's bonded to the inside of the fabric at each of the two middle bows. A steel strip runs through each sleeve and is attached with four screws at each of the two bows.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gee I didn't know that others had this problem also. At least I'm not alone.

Yes the side clamps seem to be pretty tight as they snap shut with some force. They certainly are not "loose". I may try to tighten it a bit but I certainly don't want to break anything. This would be the easiest way out.

It is beginning to sound like all the trouble that may be required to fix this that I may as well live with it. I am certainly not going to undo the top from the bows.

I have noticed that when the air gets under the roof it does seem to balloon.

Well anyway that's it. Any further advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jims6t6

I had that problem on my 64 1/2 really bad. Found out that the hooks were too tight on the sides causing the middle to bow up. loosened the hold down a little and the problem almost went away. Can also be too loose as HoosierBuddy said.

MCA # 35023

64 1/2 Convertible, 65 GT Coupe, 66 Coupe (one owner) Red 67 Mustang JR, Red 66 Mustang JR

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...rSport2006.jpghttp://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...mShaaron66.jpg
jims6t6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Okay thanks. Guess I will just play around with the hooks a bit. That may well be the problem. As I said they are tight and they just might be a bit too tight. I am pretty sure that I am not going to tear the whole thing apart to fix a relatively minor problem.

I will say that I thought I was the only one that had this situation. What a surprise to find out that it appears not to be uncommon.

Thanks all
Old 01-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Very common problem, my '68 had it before the restoration. At highway speeds a clear, but tiny, gap at the center of the header as air forced up the bow.

Hoping new tack strips/rubber will fix it but not too optomistic.... Debating a bit of extra padding under the middle section of the weatherstrip to push it down another 1/4" or so to help seal better. Not keen on trying to re-bend the header!

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - CS/GT
8F01X : 65A I 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 to-be

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...pr_07_tiny.jpg
dalorzof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalorzo_f
Very common problem, my '68 had it before the restoration. At highway speeds a clear, but tiny, gap at the center of the header as air forced up the bow.

Hoping new tack strips/rubber will fix it but not too optomistic.... Debating a bit of extra padding under the middle section of the weatherstrip to push it down another 1/4" or so to help seal better. Not keen on trying to re-bend the header!
Mine fits fairly well now, just a slight air leak at 70-80 mph. It did leak air at that speed before I put some 3/8 inch fuel hose under the top windshield molding so that it raised up the center and the side that was doing most of the leaking. I think I can eliminate the small leak I now have by tweaking it a little more to eliminate all the leak at those speeds
Mustang Owners Club of Austin, TX
http://www.mocatx.com
bsbprkns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.