Vintage Mustang Forums banner

How do I remove a stuck distributor ?

19K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  gesshoom 
#1 ·
Hi all,

The distributor on my 1966 289 C code seems seized. I have removed the hold-down tab but I can't manage to turn or pull the distributor out. Any ideas how I can get it out?

thanks

#2 ·
spray liberally where it goes in the intake with pb blaster or good penetrating oil for several days,then LIGHTLY tap ---spray some more---tap--tap--tap---spray--tap--tap--tap ---be patient and it will free up.

#3 ·
I assume that the distributor rotates when the engine cranks so that nothing is jammed inside. In that case, it must just be frozen in from gunk or heat on the seat. Try a little WD-40, wait a few minutes, then start tapping at the base and twisting. The distributor body is pretty solid, so you should be able to get a grip around it with a strap wrench or somethinig like that

#4 ·
I was probably stretching it a bit when I said wait a few days while spraying the base, just don't get discouraged if it is not a quick job.

#5 ·
Steel and aluminum seize together after alot of years similiar to what the upper alternator bolts do.
What i have done in the past was use alot of pb blaster and a small oil filter removal tool stapped to the upper portion of the dizzy.
But just be cautious and go slowly because its aluminum and can break if too much force is applied.
If you have the timing chain cover off you could use a pipewrench on the shaft part too.

#6 ·
Believe it or not, the distributor will take a lot of abuse.

This happened to me on my 78 F-150 4x4, distributor seized to the block, 351M. I hooked up a come-along to a ceiling joist, and wraped the cable around the distributor. I thought it would just pop out. Well, as I cranked on the comealong the front end of the truck started lifting, essentially all the weight of the truck being held by that distributor.

Seeing how much tension was on there, I took a pry bar and wedged it between the distributor and intake, and with just a little itty bitty push on the pry bar that distributor popped right out.

Probably not the smartest way to do that job (hey, I was a lot younger back then), but it does represent out tough that distributor casing is.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. I liberally sprayed some wd40 and waited several hours before trying to wiggle the distributor off. I used a piece of inner tube that I wrapped around the distrib base and used vice grips around that rubber sleeve so as to not damage the shaft. After several taps on the vice grips with a small hammer, it finally started to come free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.