Do I REALLY NEED a heater core? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

The car is only driven seasonally in michigan.. Its always garage kept so even on those chilly (mid 40's) fall days Im still not using the defroster..

The deal is I need to yank the heater box to do some underneath cowl repair and the heater core needs to come out.. + the engine compartment would look neater with less hoses if I removed it..

By removing the heater core what effects if any
( +/-) would this have on the operating temp. of my engine...

Otherwise its coming out TODAY...

69Mock1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

You can buy those oem looking hose blck-offs through a few Mustang parts dealers.

I too, had looped the hoses under the dash to stop the core from leaking. Same thing here in the Chicago area, don't drive it in the winter anyway.

OK, IF your car is running hot, the heater core being turned on with the fan blowing on high might bring the temp down a little. Well, you asked....
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Though it is not a lot, I believe the running of water through the core does help the cooling somewhat.

In the old days during the summer people would open up all the windows and crank up the heater just to help reduce the water temp when it gets too high.

But if you have a very good reliable cooling system you might be good to go.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mock1
The car is only driven seasonally in michigan.. Its always garage kept so even on those chilly (mid 40's) fall days Im still not using the defroster..

The deal is I need to yank the heater box to do some underneath cowl repair and the heater core needs to come out.. + the engine compartment would look neater with less hoses if I removed it..

By removing the heater core what effects if any
( +/-) would this have on the operating temp. of my engine...

Otherwise its coming out TODAY...

How about...there goes your defrost option.

And of course, with the birth of the artist came the inevitable afterbirth - the critic
BLISTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

One thing you DON'T want to do is loop a short piece of hose from the manifold to the pump !
You would be putting the hottest water back into the suction side of the water pump before it goes through the radiator .
390GTAcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

All of my cars have fully functioning heat & defrost. It comes in handy when you're heading home on a humid summer night and your windows start fogging up from temp variations. Also nice for that beautiful winter's day when an impromptu cruise happens...

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
Hemikiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have run into a pop-up rain shower on summer cruises. Guess what, the windshield fogs up! I would keep the heater.

Joe
joe69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
All of my cars have fully functioning heat & defrost. It comes in handy when you're heading home on a humid summer night and your windows start fogging up from temp variations. Also nice for that beautiful winter's day when an impromptu cruise happens...
...right on with what you said! I have been on a cruise or extended trip and had the windows fog up if I had to go out at night and fog up they will!
gwstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

"Short hose eliminating heater core...bad." Hmmmm .
I've had mine hooked up that way for years, without a problem! Seems to me heaters used to be optional on cars.

I removed the heater/A/C assembly to restore the assembly and have been driving without it...with a short hose completing the circuit.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

yes, ive also owned lots of fords with the heater bypassed and never had bad results. sounds like a few folks worring for nothing!wes
mustang656man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yeah, I actually posted a question about by-passing the heater core once on the forum and many members responded that they have also by-passed the heater core and gone straight into the manifold.

When my friends hop in the car with me on a warm summer day..I tell them to turn on the A/C *so I start rolling down the windows* LOL.

Chaz
Old 04-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

I found at Napa "plugs" of hose that install like a hose but have a closed end which make for a neater 'heater core delete' option. I have a a/c car and it's reportedly a huge PITA to replace the heater core, not sure about non-a/s 69's though but there is definitely not a lot of room under those dashes.

Tom
69 Sportsroof 351W
forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
a.m.d.g.
Go Navy!
SAC69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

I pulled my heater to do a quick rebuild. As a result I have run with a bypass for about a year (ahem). I live in a very temperate climate (rarely gets below freezing in the winter)so the only issue I have had is if I park outside on a cool evening and go for a drive later in the evening = condensation on glass - defroster = get out a towel. If you park indoors, no problem.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2237/masergtedit.jpg

Another quality post brought to you by MaserGT from/ uit/ uut/ aus/ de Vancouver, Canada.

This post may contain up to 80% sarcasm, measured by weight not volume. Contents may have settled during posting resulting in sarcasm appearing more subtle and it may be difficult to discern. Do not adjust your monitor.

masergt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Not sure if 68's had a heater delete credit when new but am planning one. 64.5 through 66 Mustngs did come without heaters if heater not ordered. Have a delete heater housing for under dash and the firewall plate so am putting it in the 68 and forgetting about the heater. Running my AC with an under dash set up but forget the heater.
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Drove my 73 vert for years like that. Of course I live in Houston.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.