'66 Cluster in a '65 still confused - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

I downloaded the instructions someone posted on how to switch a '65 non-GT car over to the '66 round style instrument cluster, but I am still a little confused. Behind the ammeter on the cluster is a metal loop with a hole. Below that are two phillips head screws. I can't figure out how to hook this thing up. The cluster was insalled before, but I can't say with certainty that the ammeter was actually working.

Are there two wires running to the ammeter or one? Does something go through the loop to read amps?
Joe6pack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's been years, but when I did my conversion I recall running two wires, a yellow and a red one according to an article in a Mustang magazine to the ammeter. As you probably know you done run full current through the meter because it is a shunt system. Don't know what the loop is for. Can you shoot a photo and post it here? Besides new ammeter wiring, about the only electrical change was cutting the signal light wire and adding another socket so you'd go from one signal light to two. To brighten the meters, I also painted over the chrome inside and added a light socket just to the left of the gas gauge and to the right of the temp gauge. The white paint alone will leave you with some non uniform lighting. I also got rid of the blue bulb covers, using a sharpie to tint the bulbs.
VictorII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

VictorII describes the 1966 version of the ammeter, which uses two leads. The 1965 version uses an inductive loop, but I've never seen in person how to connect it to the wiring harness. I presume the wire goes through the inductive loop on the back of the ammeter, but that is pure speculation. The actual gauges are different between the two years.

'Electrical Guru: Let me Check Your Shorts! Ooops...that didn't turn out right.

MCA Historian
Midlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here is a picture of the loop. Maybe someone can describe how to hook it up.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife
VictorII describes the 1966 version of the ammeter, which uses two leads. The 1965 version uses an inductive loop, but I've never seen in person how to connect it to the wiring harness. I presume the wire goes through the inductive loop on the back of the ammeter, but that is pure speculation. The actual gauges are different between the two years.

What Mid said. The wire goes through the metal loop. That said, you won't notice any difference if it is wired correctly or not! The gauge never moves...

Also - if it was converted from the Falcon style cluster it is entirely possible that they never bothered with the conversion from the idiot light as it is pretty involved.

This is just one of the many reasons I went with new gauges!

1965 Mustang Coupe

www.not2fst.com
09Frank65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Let me make sure I understand this correctly. The two leads from the engine compartment are the same as for the later style. One lead is run through the loop and connected to the other lead creating a closed circuit. Is that correct?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe6pack
Let me make sure I understand this correctly. The two leads from the engine compartment are the same as for the later style. One lead is run through the loop and connected to the other lead creating a closed circuit. Is that correct?
No, I don't think so. I suspect in 1965, there was a single wire that ran through the loop and connected to the other wire elsewhere. Exactly where, I haven't a clue. The circuit starts at the solenoid battery post, goes through the firewall, through the loop, back out through the firewall and connects to the alternator-battery harness, basically at the alternator junction. In 1966, that loop was separated into two separate hot leads, each lead plugging into the two posts on the ammeter.

BTW, thanks for the pic of the backside of the 1965 ammeter! First one I've seen!

'Electrical Guru: Let me Check Your Shorts! Ooops...that didn't turn out right.

MCA Historian
Midlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Never seen one like that. It looks like a light socket holder but I'm pretty sure it isn't since it is on the back of the gauge and there are no terminals for the two wire setup. It is quite likely that it is indeed an inductive system. The size seems to suggest that all current goes through it, and the meter would deflect according to what it feels. But I'd really recommend you research it further. You might check out a Mustang shop manual for '65 to see what the schematic says. My ammeter moves and stays just on + side when it is fully chaged. Yes, my dash pod is from a dead '66 coupe that I bought parts from 15 years ago or so. I had the Falcon style pod before which is wrapped up and on the shelf. On a shunt type system, just a sample of current is taken which shows the direction current is flowing so you get movement at the meter, sort of like a +/- voltmeter. It is simplistic but it works. If a system like mine shows no movement, it is almost always a dead alternator and/or VR if the wiring is good. I'm curious about this; let us know what you find out?
VictorII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

So what I probably have here is a genuine '65 GT and/or deluxe interior instrument cluster. It does have the wood grain. The car itself is too early to have either. Wonder if its worth anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.