68 Unibody Frame Dimensions ? including convertibles - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Does anyone have frame dimensions for a 68 Mustang Convertible? I am doing a full replacement/restoration of the frame components and would like for reference and double checking.
Thanks
70Boss13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

The Ford shop manual has the dimensions for the jigs.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Since I don't have the manuals, maybe someone out there would have them in electronic form?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Working forward the measurements at the center of the bows are :

20 1/2" from front edge of trim to middle of Bow #4 (~22 1/2" from upper edge of drip rail to center of Bow #4 if trim is off)

15 1/2" Middle of Bow #4 to middle of Bow #3

17 1/4" Middle of Bow #3 to middle of Bow #2

16 5/8" Middle of Bow #2 to back edge of Header

These probably vary slightly, they were taken from my '68 with the jigs in place for spacing, but on my top the alignment hole on the jig does not line up with the hole in the side rail for some reason. The Bow #4 dimension is correct, all top vendors I looked at use the 20 1/2". Bows 2 and 3 are based on the jig, the header kinda "floats" as there are no references I've seen...

You can just use tape to hold the bows in place while you install the side pads.

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - CS/GT
8F01X : 65A I 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 to-be

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...pr_07_tiny.jpg
dalorzof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am sorry, I may have confused the subject.
What I am in the process of doing is replacing the floors, torque boxes, front and rear frame rails and want everything to go in as close as I can to factory specifications.
Thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

The Ford shop manual shows the basic dimensions and a diagonal measure. There is also a lot of info for cvs and strongly suggest that you buy one. Va. Mustang sells new ones, exact reprints, reasonably priced at 42.95. Also recommend a chassis assembly manual.

There are number of websites showing the work your car needs. For the rear frame, Hoosier Buddy did one in his cv. He may have pics. 68cvert has also done extensive work on his 68

Have done a few floor, inner rockers, torque box r&r's but not the complete front and rear frames. The better educated you get before starting, the better. That's a BIG project.
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Here is a link to a site that has some dimensions, but I don't know if they are the same for convertibles:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gturne...rame_specs.JPG

Ryan

1967 Mustang Coupe. My first car.

302, Early 351W Heads, Windage Tray, Edelbrock 289 Performer intake, Holley 600 Carb w/1" spacer, T5 Transmission, NPD 1" Lowering Springs, 1" Mid-Eye Lowering Leaf Springs, 17" 04 Bullitts, 3.00 8" Rear, Granada Front Brakes. Still a lot of work to go and a lot of things to buy.

Need any graphic design work check out my site:
www.ryandaviddesigns.com
rsalway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys!

After I read your posts, I did some searching online and found a website: http://www.actionsalvage.com/manuals/ford.asp that has electronic versions of the manuals. Has anyone gotten these and are they any good/relatively easy to use? (word or pdf files) I think that I will definately get a set of hardcopy manuals, but also it might be nice to have them on the computer.
Any suggestions?
Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalway
Here is a link to a site that has some dimensions, but I don't know if they are the same for convertibles:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gturne...rame_specs.JPG

Ryan
That is a link to my site...and it is for a 68 Convertible, although that is only the frame specs. Some of the info HERE is from yelostang (Thanks SOOOO much Peter), some is from the Shop Manual...and the trunk specs were originally taken from my car before I replaced the rear sections of the rear rails. Hope they help.
68CVert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelostang
The Ford shop manual shows the basic dimensions and a diagonal measure. There is also a lot of info for cvs and strongly suggest that you buy one. Va. Mustang sells new ones, exact reprints, reasonably priced at 42.95. Also recommend a chassis assembly manual.

There are number of websites showing the work your car needs. For the rear frame, Hoosier Buddy did one in his cv. He may have pics. 68cvert has also done extensive work on his 68

Have done a few floor, inner rockers, torque box r&r's but not the complete front and rear frames. The better educated you get before starting, the better. That's a BIG project.
I agree 100%. The task of the rebuild of my car does look quite formidable. I plan on sending the bare chassis off to the media blasters in the next couple months and I will take my time and be very careful with the measuring and positioning of all the underbody structure. I think I am up for the challenge. Has anyone out there made some sort of platform/jig to measure and mock their car up on? I was wondering if maybe building something out of 4x4 box tubing that will be leveled, take all the measurments from and build mounting points, as did Ford during production. Maybe a little too ambitious?
Any HELP and TIPS are GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.