Putting a electric fan on a 67 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

I bought a electric fan today for my 67 its a reversiable fan to make it a pusher or a puller i wanna mount it in front of the radiator so it blows the air threw the radiator if i get stuck in traffic or what not my question is

since the fan on the motor is blowing air in the back will it effect the fan trying to blow air threw the front?

when mounted on the front of the radiator does that make the fan a pusher or a puller?
NoBottle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

IMO, I would eliminate the motor fan altogether if going to an electric fan setup. I mounted an electric fan in front of the radiator on my 66 convertible and love the results. In this configuration, I consider the fan to be a pusher. I decided on a used fan from a Mercedes and fabricated four brackets that attach the fan frame to the radiator support. The only problem I encountered was that the hood release was rubbing against the fan hub. I was able to cut the sides of the hood release lever, bend it forward and weld up the cuts. It worked out well and you can't tell that the hood release was modified.

Scott
scottstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

A puller electric fan is always more efficient than a pusher. I would only use a pusher fan if i had clearance issues between the radiator and the motor.
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Ron Morris-like Motor Mounts
DIY Engine Crossmember
DIY Camber Eccentric Eliminator Plates
buening is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

How much space do you guys have? I have about 3" between the rad and the motor. Me thinks I might have tog o pusher eh?
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Im just putting this fan on without a thermostat so if i get into traffic or sitting at a drive thru the temp dosent start climing im gonna wire it to a switch that i can turn on and off.

I have alot of room but im only putting on a small 12 inch fan
Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBottle
Im just putting this fan on without a thermostat so if i get into traffic or sitting at a drive thru the temp dosent start climing im gonna wire it to a switch that i can turn on and off.

I have alot of room but im only putting on a small 12 inch fan
That's what I initially did a swell, though I used a 14" fan. 14" is as big as you can go in front, as the 16" won't fit without cutting some metal a bit in the radiator support. So your mod is totally fine, it will be pusher, and I say WTH - why not go with a 14"!

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
Rorin67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

The belt driven fan is a puller. You will mount your fan in front so it will be a "pusher". Basically it will act as a booster to the original fan. IMHO, if you need the extra help cooling the engine at idle on hot days you have cooling issues that need to be looked into. Not to say the extra won't help, it can, I've done it as a temporary band-aid fix myself.
Right now both my F100 and Bronco have added pusher fans. In both cases I use the pusher fans for extra airflow when running the AC during extended idle times. Neither truck runs hot without the fans but both are R134A AC conversions. When the pusher fans are activated I see a redution of about 30 psi in compressor head pressure. This basically means colder air out the vents versus not having the fans. You will see some of the same effect on the radiator too.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

You have to do your measuring and research before going with a 16" puller. I had a 3-row stock radiator, and only found one 16" fan (SPAL 2350 CFM) that fit and had to trim the nose of the waterpump to make it work. Once I switched to a 2-Row aluminum radiator I could fit many more 16" fans.

I have alot of pics and info on my install at the following link:

http://www.fastbackmustang.com/Proje...emUpgrade.aspx

The SPAL fan is probably one of the best fans you can buy for the money (generally about $100 on eBay).

66 Fastback - 302, C4, 8" w/ 3.80 posi, Granada Discs
06 Mustang GT - Satin Silver, 5 spd, JLT Intake, Flowmaster, 3.73, Bassani X-Pipe, UDP

www.fastbackmustang.com
http://www.fastbackmustang.com/image.../Exterior1.jpg
donovanjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

I havent had a problem with the cooling i was sitting at a drive thru the other day it was like 85 degrees outside and the car got up to about 225 after sitting for approx 10 mins i have a digital guage setup for the temp i really just wanted to put it on there to keep good air flowing if i get stuck.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

My apologies, i didn't realize you planned on keeping the stock belt fan as well.
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Engine Crossmember
Old 09-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Unless you want an original looking car I would seriously consider getting a 16" puller fan that fits and pulls atleast 2000 cfm (preferrably more). You will be happy with the performance gain from the loss of the parasitic drag of the fan, and you should never have to worry about the car ever approaching 200 degrees.

For $100 it is a good investment for your engine.

JMHO

66 Fastback - 302, C4, 8" w/ 3.80 posi, Granada Discs
06 Mustang GT - Satin Silver, 5 spd, JLT Intake, Flowmaster, 3.73, Bassani X-Pipe, UDP

www.fastbackmustang.com
http://www.fastbackmustang.com/image.../Exterior1.jpg
donovanjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

so im installing my fan today and i have a question because im a lil confused the stock fan blows air at the radiator from the back side im gonna install my fan on the front so would i want to set my fan up so it helps pull the air the engine driven fan is making thur the radiator right?

if i put the fan on the front of the rad and make it blow air therw towards the engine it will be blowing air against the air the engines fan is blowing in the backside and will deafeat both fans purpose right?

see why im confused lol
Old 09-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

No bottle. Your current fan Sucks air thru the radiator it doesnt blow it thru.Put a piece of paper in front of the radiator with the motor running and the piece of paper will stick to it. By adding a Electric fan to the outside of the radiator it needs to be set to the (pusher) mode. Basically make sure the part that goes against the raditor is Blowing and not sucking. Then it will assist you in extra cooling. If you set it to puller mode you will be deafeating the purpose unless you mount it on the inside of your radiator between the engine and Radiator. Then of course you would have to remove your Mechanical Fan. Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

If the stock mechanical fan is not pulling air through the radiator and pushing it to the back of the engine, then i'd venture to guess that you have a fan for a serpentine car and i'm surprised you aren't having overheating issues while driving at fast speeds.
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Engine Crossmember
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.