would a 67 thunderbird 390 be the smae animal as a mustang 390? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

I got my eyes on a 67 t bird 390 drive train & was wondering if it were the same motor they put in the mustangs, i mean as long as they were both s codes, they should be the same right?>
STANG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

The engine block and several of the parts like brackets and pulleys will be the same. But the heads most likely will not be. Check for the number of bolt holes for the exhaust. 14 is what you want. Also, see if it comes with the original aircleaner. These bring about $350 on e-bay because they can be converted into Shaker bases.

Built a 1967 Shelby GT-350 Convertible Replica, a 67 Vert resto-mod and also built a 427 FE 67 Shelby GT-500R (R Stands for Replica). 427 Side Oiler, toploader 4spd, 4 wheel discs, 9" traction loc and a perfect body. What more could you ask for? Now I car hunt and horse trade and I am currently looking for the next project! Always seeking that elusive "reasonable" Shelby.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2503347
olddustyrelics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

I maybe wrong (happened before) but I believe the T-Bird engine sits in car @ a diff. angle than a mustang. The Galaxie is the same as mustang. What might be diff. is the intake and perhaps engine mounts.
I know this because I've installed an orig tri-power setup on my 390 in my 67 stang and it had to come from a Galaxie because of the angle of the intake. The spot where each carb sits is @ a diff. height because engine sits @ angle in a Galaxie and mustang but more level in a T-Bird.
Some of what I mentioned is stated in the casting's number book as well. Not saying a 4bbl won't fit just be mindful of what I mentioned.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

The tripower you refer to is from a 1963 M-code or sports roadster. That car is completely different than a 67 t-bird. The intakes on a 67 t-bird and a Mustang LOOK almost identicle but they carry a different part number but will interchange fine. The engine mounts would definately be different but you change those over when swapping the engine to the Mustang. (these mounts are expensive too, about $300 a pair) The mounting holes on the side of the block are the same for all 390's, 352's, 410's and 428's. The 427 mounting holes are just a touch different.

Built a 1967 Shelby GT-350 Convertible Replica, a 67 Vert resto-mod and also built a 427 FE 67 Shelby GT-500R (R Stands for Replica). 427 Side Oiler, toploader 4spd, 4 wheel discs, 9" traction loc and a perfect body. What more could you ask for? Now I car hunt and horse trade and I am currently looking for the next project! Always seeking that elusive "reasonable" Shelby.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Another thought, the exhaust manifolds are unique to mustang's and Fairlane's as would be heads as you thought they would. The swap can be made with changes, just know there are some things you need to change. Depending what it's gonna cost you for tthe T-Bird setup and gonna do a rebuild anyway, I'd look for a mustang 390. Another thing to consider if the heads are a "don't care" as you replace them with aluminum heads anyway like I did.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

hey dusty, can you identify the bolt holes even w/ the manifolds on the heads? the engine has the manifilds still installed & i do not know if the owner is willing to do anything to assist.
STANG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes you can. You can look down next to the T-bird manifold on the head and see the extra flange area to the left and right of where the T-bird manifold bolts on. Then run your finger behind that area to see if it is drilled through. Also keep in mind that it is common to drill these extra bolt holes. Any machine shop can redrill the additional holes as long as you have a manifold to match it to. Costs about $5-$7 per hole. There are some minor visual differences to the heads from GT heads but maybe one in 10,000 people would know what they are. Also, several 67 T-bird 390's came with correct Shelby fans. I think the number is C6oe-F. Fan is worth about $150. So if you can get the engine with the aircleaner and the fan those two parts alone are worth about $500.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Besides, the donor car starts with a "T" and the recepient car starts with a "M", hopefully others will find more differences. You're welcome Paul.
:thumbup:

Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

FPA makes headers that will let you use the 8 bolt exhaust heads that the T-BIRD will have .
390GTAcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to GT_SCODE

You are getting the right advice the heads will be the biggest difference. I am 99% sure your not looking at GT 390 heads. I would strongly recommend the FPA headers for either head but they are really expensive.

If it is running and reasonable I would go for it.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

One minor point regarding engine identification. You assume that the '67 T-Bird 390 is an "S" code. It is not, It is a "Z" code, slightly lower HP rating too.

*67 Vintage Burgundy 390GTA with most of the bells and whistles*
JeffTepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to GT_SCODE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTepper
One minor point regarding engine identification. You assume that the '67 T-Bird 390 is an "S" code. It is not, It is a "Z" code, slightly lower HP rating too.
I thought that too but was not sure. The intake may still have the large S on it but that does not make it an S Code.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

As mentioned above, the heads on a GT are different, but also the intake must match the heads, the ports are different IIRC. I once installed a tripower on my 67 Cougar GT, it fit and ran, but not very well. After showing it off a few days, I went back to the Holley 4v.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Most if not all of the 1967 FE intakes will be medium riser variety if I'm not mistaken. The big block tri-powers from the early 60's were mostly low risers. The T-bird intake will match the ports on GT heads no problem. The t-bird's 390 was rated at 315HP. Main differences were cam and carb I would imagine, but it would still perform well in a mustang. And of course if you were rebuilding it you could increase the HP to well over 325 with a few simple mods.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.