Stock exhaust manifold that may be comparable to a 289 "Hipo" manifold ? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey Guys!

Recently I considered buying a NEW set of 289 HIPO exhaust manifolds from a parts catalogue. They were well over $200. The other day while browsing EBay I saw used Ford exhaust maniofolds that LOOKED like the 289 "hipo" version, but they were from different 302 models. Some started with the letter "D" meaning they were form the 70's. I don't care about numbers matching, and I was glad to see these were more in my price range.

My question is this: I don't want headers. WHat should I look for? Were there "stock" exhaust manifolds that fit 289/302/351W that breate/perform COMPARABLE to the 289 "Hipo" manifolds? What numbers should I be looking for? What should I avoid?

Thank you in advance!

Bill
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have the following pair.
-Exhaust Manifolds w/ heat shields part #s D8DE-9430-BA & D7DE-9431-AB
I checked the #s with the local Ford parts department and they said they are high volume unit for a 302 in a Granda. So I guess there are better flowing units. I'm willing to let them go cheap if you are interested.
'67 FB project is next with/for youngest son
'92 5.0 LX vert 68k org miles
'74 TR6 Project for Wife
1965GTFB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

What little I know is that the "D" manifolds you found are very comparable to HiPo manifolds. One side will work on a classic Mustang and the other will not. And I think that they came on Comets/Mavericks.

Sorry I can't help any more than this.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Don't take a chance and just buy a pair from a Mustang dealer. Dallas Mustang sells them for $229/pr. That is who I got Red's HiPo's from.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

I suggest you get a hold of a copy of Bob Mannell's book on Ford Small Blocks. It is an amazing resource of facts and figures on the entire line of engines and should be able to help you zero in on the details of whatever you are looking at.

*67 Vintage Burgundy 390GTA with most of the bells and whistles*
JeffTepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

I bought a pair of the hipo replicas, They are very nice and I like them. However, if you buy a pair of repros make sure you check the clearance for your plugs I installed mine and found out real fast I was unable to fit a socket over my plugs to insert them. I had to remove them and file some raised edges where they were cast. It was easy and only took a few mimutes but I had to pull them off. Just thought I should mention it
bcoates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

I could be wrong, but I thought I remember some guys using 351W exhaust mainifolds on 289/302 Mustangs 30 plus years ago because they were a similar design to the HiPo 289 and very cheap back in the early 70's.

1970 Mach 1 with 351C-4V and 5-speed
2011 Shelby GT-500
70Mach03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

The stock log style manifolds force the exhaust gas to turn 90 degree to exit. That impledes flow. The Hipos are more gentle and sweep the exhaust a little better. I bought Hipos that were for a 289/302. That's what I'd get again. Just before that I tried some Hooker Supercomps but even the exhust shop couldn't get 'em in so I just went with the Hipos. Not as efficient as long tubes but better than stockers. I got mine from California Mustang but I guess everyone offers them now. Remember that you'll also need longer bolts (I recommend grade 8) a Hipo Z-bar and a different Y-pipe. And decent gaskets; Napa has a set that fit just fine and even have the donuts in them. If you have a shop do the exhaust, they should know what's up. Agree that Mannell's book will help with this. It also has a lot more information.
VictorII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

To bcoates; I found out the hard way also, that the plugs on the drivers side were impossible to
put a spark plug socket on, passenger side was ok.
I just ground down a socket and it works fine.
To victor II; gaskets were not intended to be
used on the hi-po exhaust manifold and are not
needed.
AMR66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

HA, your right I forgot about the socket I ground an old one down as well. I didnt know about not using a gasket, did you use a bead of sealant ?
bcoates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMR66
To victor II; gaskets were not intended to be
used on the hi-po exhaust manifold and are not
needed.
You are right, they weren't intended to be needed when manufactured. However, in my experience, every SBF I have worked on had leakage over time as the iron heads and manifolds warped ever so slightly with continuous use (daily drivers). If you have the heads surfaced on the exhaust port edge and the manifolds sufaced, then they seal just fine for a while. They will not stay sealed if you drive the car regularly. The gaskets are cheap and eliminate that annoying noise (and smell) when a tiny gap eventually opens.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

I don't know 'bout all that but mine has been on
about 3 years now with no gasket or sealer and
so far its fine. I was driving it every day to work until I retired about a year ago. I only
get to drive it 3 0r 4 times a week now.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

After about 20,000 miles mine would start with the noise, so I just include them in a rebuild. Glad yours is ok.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

I would like to add, the hipo-exhaust manifold
really gave it a kick in the a**. I was quite
supprised, I really didn't think it would do
much but I am more than satisfied, I paid $225.
for my after market with Ford part #'s.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

alot of the 351w manifolds had a sweeping design much like the hipos but usually only on the drivers side, why bother with manifolds? why not go to headers, even shorty headers will out perform the hipo manifolds especially on non stock or stroker engines, I saw a 347 build and they used hipo manifolds, then they put on headers and it was worth 100 hp, even ported hipos wont be as good as headers, on a stock or modified 289-302 you cannot beat the old 1 1/2" try y's, they fit great, no power steering bracket needed and they perform. Headers can be had even cheaper than hipos as well.............
htwheelz67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.