Carpeting the trunk? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi guys,

I just picked up some really nice black auto carpet for my trunk. It is very heavy/plush and is intended for a Mercedes. Best part... I picked up 32 sq. ft for 20 bucks - not too bad.

Now, I was wondering what the best way to carpet the trunk would be. Has anyone done this before that can give me pointers?

I did not strip the trunk, so I am worried about the adhesiveness between the carpeting and the trunk itself. Is there something that I can use to scuff up the trunk, like a green scrubby from the kitchen?

What is the best way to install the carpeting? I was planning on cutting it into sections and installing it that way. In other words, I would cut a 3'x3' section to lay over the gas tank, and then 11"x20" to go along the sides of the tank, then some to cover the wheelwells, etc. Would this be my best bet, or should I attempt to lay down as large of a piece as possible?

Lastly, if I do install it in sections, is there a way to mate the two sections of carpeting together so that it is hard to notice the different sections?

By the way, I am planning on using a 3M spray adhesive to put it in there.

Thanks!
pcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

The best way I've found is using ABS plastic 1/8" sheets from a plastic shop. I got this info from Stroked66. He has better pics of his than mine on his cardomain site.

It is easy to cut with a utility knife, bendable with the use of a heat gun and use 3M90, spray one side and cover it with your carpet. I did what your are asking but in three pieces.
copasspupil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm confused... are you suggesting that I glue down a layer of plastic sheeting in my trunk then glue the carpet to the plastic?

Don't mind my ignorance... but what's the point of that?

I don't get the point of adding the extra step. If I am going to have problems with adhesion between carpet/trunk, then wouldn't I still have problems between the plastic/trunk? What is the reasoning behind it?

Also, any tips on getting the trunk ready for adhesive? I don't know how well the glue will stick to some areas where there is dirt/gunk/grime, etc.

Thanks!
pcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here you go with the link to his site so you can see what he did.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/368495/9

The only difference from mine to Ken's is that mine is flat.

Here's what mine looks like with a speaker box and battery in it.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

By putting carpet in the trunk i would be concerned about trapping moisture?Just a thought.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have what looks like the original black and white style trunk liner, and it is made of vinyl with a padding underneath, and it has never trapped water. I have heard of a lot of guys who line their trunk with carpet with no problems.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not saying there is prob.with carpeting the trunk but that thought was the first thing that popped into head.Carpet away!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow, great link.
stu7054 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think what he was trying get across was, it might be wise to not attach the carpet directly to the metal surfaces. Instead attach it to something that would allow it to be removed should something need to be serviced, painted, dried, or cleaned.

I bought the carpet kit made by Distinctive Industries, it has sections of carpet glued to what is basically cardboard that are made and shaped so they tension fit in place. There were no instructions and I had a few pieces leftover that I just couldn't figure out where they are intended to fit.

I tore apart the left and right pieces that fit the taillight panel. I re-used the carpet which I glued to black foam-board, a much better choice for this use. I have not started, but intend to remake the pieces that cover the quarter panels and frame rails. I'm thinking I may use foam-board nearly cut thru, this should allow me to flex it enough to follow the curve.
66HertzClone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

I thought distinctive only made the kit for coupes?
PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Fast68back is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think I have a total of 45.00 into my trunk. 25 for the plastic and 20 for the carpet. It is important that it is a non backing carpet so it can be pulled/formed.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

I carpeted my truck with a 4x6 Indoor/outdoor rug for Home Depot and pieces of plywood.

I used the original rubber mat as a template for the floor and pieced together the sides.

Sorry no pics.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...psa455ac9f.jpg

1967 Mustang Coupe - "Legend Lime"
1966 Mustang Coupe - "Ol' Whitey"
musgofasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Not to highjack, but didnt this car use to be orange?

PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Fast68back is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've started this project with my car. Currently I'm cutting some plywood to act as the removable pieces that the carpet will be glued to.
You can go several different routes. You can cut carpet using your old mat as a template and just set it in your trunk. You can do something similiar by cutting and forming more pieces for covering wheel housings. You can do the plywood or plastic pieces with carpet glued to it. CMayna bought the precut kit from a Mustang parts dealer and installed it. You could glue to your existing metal/tank but I don't think too many people would recommend that. You want to be able to remove the carpet for cleaning and maintenance. Good deal that you got on the carpet.
LAstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Using wood allows moisture to stay for longer periods of time in contact with the painted metal. The hot rodders use plastic because it is stronger than wood, doesn't crack or retain the moisture.

Yes it was poppy red.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.