Dimples in paint...Body guys help please..PICS!!! - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ok, so I got my car back, and it has been painted and cleared. There are some flaws, bumps and stuff in the paint, but there are some things you just not worry about. However, I have noticed a lot of little "dimples" or indentations all over in different spots. I asked the body guy about it, he said what happend is the paint kinda gets "sucked in" a bit. There is paint, and this isn't like an open pinhole, however, some of these areas may be pinholes. Again, there is paint there, just an indentation. When I asked him about this, he said what he does, and the solution to this is to go around and dab clear in all the dimples, then wetsand flat and buff. He said he does this and it always works fine. If the entire car was fiberglass then I would think all pinholes, but I see some of these on the metal. Is this the way to take car of this issue? I have invested a fair amount of money and want the car to look good, but don't feel like repainting entire car. How could a different body shop fix this issue as well? Thanks for any feedback.

Maier Racing Suspension w/ bilstein shocks
Fuelsafe Fuel Cell

"Never argue with a moron. They will just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
hogball500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's where the reducer popped thru the next coat of clear. When spraying the second coat too soon the 2nd coat of clear will trap the still drying reducer under it. The reducer has to dry & it will pop thru the 2nd coat of clear.
It can be fixed the way he said or wetsand it out if it's not too deep.
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is there a negative to fixing it the way he says? Remember that this is a dimple in the paint, so like a mini crater, so I can't imagine how much buffing it would take to get out. The dabbing clear sounds like the best option, albeit time consuming. But, will this hold up and look ok? I want to do it right, but want to avoid repainting the entire car. I don't think I will bring it back to the same place either, I don't want to get the same results for more money. Thanks guys.

Fuelsafe Fuel Cell

"Never argue with a moron. They will just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
Old 12-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

could also be what we call " fish eyes " caused by silicone/wax ! was the car wax 'n' greased (degreased) well prior to painting ? some basics here . http://www.paintscratch.com/problems.htm#fish
6622 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Who knows. I would like to think so, but with some of the things I saw, I can't tell. Remember, these dimples are not raised up bumps, but like little divots. I know the body was wetsanded prior to paint, but who knows if anyone touched it before paint went on. There seems to be a lot of these little dimples. A couple areas have a whole bunch right in a row. As long as there is actually paint in that area, but it is indented, I want to make sure the dabbing of clear will work and look ok.
As I think about it, I don't remember seeing these little divots when it was first painted, but maybe I wasn't looking for them. The body guy said the paint got "sucked in" a couple days later.

Fuelsafe Fuel Cell

Old 12-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post some close up pics please for better feedback.

I admit my problem, I'm checking into the Henry Ford clinic for help...
Look here, it'll make you feel better... (my car)
68 Hardtop 289/AOD in need of lots of TLC, and a couple of other rather fast cars...
68Hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

i agree with cruzer,,and i have also personaly witnessed a faulty gun filter spirt water droplets from teh air hose in the final clear coat..the water will sort of displace teh clear,,teh it dries,,the water evaporates and a indention is left..either way if these craters are few then they can be dabbed in and water sanded and buffed out....if they are relitively shallow and the car has 4 or more clear coats on it id say it will sand and buff out as is..of course thats without seeing it...pics would help,,thansk jack
hallsresto.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2007, 06:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogball500
Is there a negative to fixing it the way he says? Remember that this is a dimple in the paint, so like a mini crater, so I can't imagine how much buffing it would take to get out. The dabbing clear sounds like the best option, albeit time consuming. But, will this hold up and look ok? I want to do it right, but want to avoid repainting the entire car. I don't think I will bring it back to the same place either, I don't want to get the same results for more money. Thanks guys.

If it was mine I'd try wetsanding & buffing 1st. If that didn't work I'd scuff the areas & spray more clear. Dabbing clear on it will still require wetsanding & buffing to blend the new paint.
It could be fisheyes, but more times than not if it's fisheyes you will see a small dot of primer in it. Because of contaminates the paint won't stick to that small spot & it spreads around it.
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

I will try to get some pics todays to show you, but they are so small, I am not sure how good they will come out. Let me see what I can do. As for the fisheyes, if you would normally see primer in the middle of the dot, that is certainly not the case here. All these dimples have paint in the middle, they are the color of the body, but just indented. Let me go see what I can do with pics. Also, now that the car has been buffed, a bunch of them have buffing compound in them that I have to get out. Started that yesterday, but will continue the process with a wet Q tip or something. Pics coming. Thanks guys.

Fuelsafe Fuel Cell

Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds to me like a major case of fisheye. I rarely get any, and if I do it's only one or two in a whole car. I do fix them by dabbing clear in the "crater" but I do it as soon as the clear starts getting hard. About the time I finish cleaning my gun. Fisheye happens as soon as you shoot, never heard of anything being "sucked in". Fisheye will not usually happen in the base, just the clear. That is why you see color under the craters. If it covers a major part of the car they would be better off reshooting the panels IMO.

If the holes are super tiny like the thickness of a hair or thread then it's solvent popping. Solvent popping happens when the clear is shot too wet or too soon. Solvents get trapped under drying clear and blow tiny holes in the clear when they come out, and they allways come out. That would explain why they were not there at first. You may be able to sand out the problem areas and buff it nice, depends how deep the holes are. If you run out of clear and hit base before they are gone you have to reshoot. dabbing clear would not be possible with SP, just too tiny and numerous IMO.

Lstar

Mustangpainter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

When you say if I hit base before they are gone, and say I might have to reshoot, do you mean reshoot all base paint and clear, or just reshoot clear? How much do you think it would cost to take the car somewhere, and have the whole thing wetsanded and recleared? That is assuming that the paint has been laid down well. I am thinking of trying to find a really good shop to do another clear and buff to get it as close to perfect as possible. I just don't want all the dimples to come back again. By the way I do think this is the solvent popping, there are a lot all over and they are about the thickness of a hair or thread. You just describer it to a T.

Fuelsafe Fuel Cell

Old 12-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Ok, I got some pics and they came out pretty good. Here they are. The pic of the dimple on the black area has buffing compund in it, and that is why it is white. I have not yet cleaned all areas of buffing compound yet. Thoughts? Al lthe dimples have the correct color paint underneath, so if I can dab with clear, I will tak the time to do that. I don't mind doing it and taking the time. Then have someone wetsand and buff. Thanks.

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...1216071025.jpg

Fuelsafe Fuel Cell

Old 12-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

that looks like fish eye to me
79cobraII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

+1 for fisheye. I would dab clear in those divots (dab clear with catalyst). If it was solvent coming through from not waiting long enough between coats it would be all over the car.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

So in this case, dabbing with clear will solve issue and be easiest fix? Will this hold up over time as well? If that is the case, then that is what I will try to do.

Fuelsafe Fuel Cell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.