Info On Early Mustangs - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:30 AM

Today - I sat down and reviewed both Mustang Production Guide books. Because the existing data base is on IBM d-Base III, we will likely have to re-enter all that data when the time comes. I can tell you the Mustang Production Guide will be a single book instead of two should I decide to publish again. The two-volume decision was more an economic one. We did what we could afford at the time. Money was never our motivation to do those books. Bringing fellow enthusiasts an informative data base was. So lets begin with a website and grow the idea from there. I will begin working on that idea as soon as I can this year.

Our two magazines websites (MM and MF) are also on the grow to help serve our readers better. So expect new and better ways to communicate with all of us at Mustang Monthly and Mustang & Fords as the year unfolds. Our websites will get better. Always interested in your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:24 AM

Jim:
I can translate dBase III files to more modern file structure. Contact Laurie, who can give you my contact information.

Randy Jacobson

'Electrical Guru: Let me Check Your Shorts! Ooops...that didn't turn out right.
http://midlife66.com/harnesses
http://midlifeharness.com
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks, Randy - good to know they can be translated into current technology. My email address is thesmart67@msn.com.

post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 AM

I have somewhere around 5k cars to add to the list once you do the conversion!
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:26 AM

So...does this mean that the person I used to work with for over 25 years that received a Mustang from her mother (bought by the father who worked at NASA , new as a gift)and sits in their garage for 20 years as a six cylinder "64 1/2 " may be of interest to one of the many many puzzle pieces ?

True story by the way, lives 5 blocks away, kinda forgot about it till now with all this stuff going on. It is just a 6CYL so I never gave it much thought.

-Mark
Our Children , Inspire The Future

Love Your Children

My Window Trim Removal Videohttp://www.youtube.com/user/markstan.../4/bRJf5Ow4YbU

[IMG]http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...L/Clermont.gif[/IMG]
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Sure, they are all "significant", to a degree. The more we know, the better we can use the information to piece the puzzle together!
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Ok I'll work on getting the VIN

-Mark
Our Children , Inspire The Future

Love Your Children

My Window Trim Removal Videohttp://www.youtube.com/user/markstan.../4/bRJf5Ow4YbU

[IMG]http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...L/Clermont.gif[/IMG]
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:41 PM

Hi - every Mustang ever produced in a Ford plant is significant to In Search of Mustangs. We want them all - dead or alive - and that includes Ford dealer sales records, junk yards, shoeboxes full of warranty plates, old motor vehicle titles, everything. Ideally, you will have the VIN and all of the warranty plate/certification sticker codes, which tells us all about the car's makeup.

Long ago, In Search of Mustangs was a regular column in the MCA's Mustang Times. In more recent years - in Mustang Monthly until we decided to give it a rest. In each column, we would get into the nit and grit of Mustang production. And that is what I would like to accomplish with an In Search of Mustangs website - regular updates and fresh information. I'd also like to do it in Mustang Monthly's website and Pony Tales periodically.

So - lets crank this data collection effort back up after a long, long nap. I'd like to have your VIN and warranty plate/certification sticker codes to add to our database. This fills in the gaps and further develops a picture of 1965-73 production.

Some have asked me if we want 1974-08 information. For right now, we're going to keep it at 1965-73. If it looks there's interest in 1974-08, we will investigating growing In Search of Mustangs beyond 1973. Through the years, we've found there isn't much interest in production information beyond 1973. However, we're always receptive.

Again - my home email address is thesmart67@msn.com.

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:45 PM

Since Marti Autoworks has licensed the Ford production database for cars 67-up, is it a lesson in futility to still include 67 and up cars in In Search of Mustangs? Of course, it is nice to know what cars survived, but I believe efforts could be better utilized by focusing on what we do not know... which is 64.5-66.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:45 PM

Hey Charles Turner! Would be thrilled with 5000 VINs and codes (where possible). With any luck, we can fill in a lot of gaps. Most are run of the mill - but you never know what will show up. Does anyone know what's up with 5F08F100006 in Georgia? Last I heard, a restoration had begun. I would be thrilled to see that car restored. Gary Schweitzer with 5F08T383386 (World's Fair car) is beginning a restoration. We're going to rebuild his engine and transmission in MM.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:49 PM
White Elephant Guy

Send a message via AIM to obsidianspider Send a message via Yahoo to obsidianspider Send a message via Skype™ to obsidianspider
I have the VIN and door tag info from my '66 Fastback, but no other paperwork, would that info still be useful?

Todd Dietrich - '66 T-Code Fastback, '14 GT Premium Track Pack w/Recaros
VMF Facebook Group
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:49 PM

Hi Markup - yep, we want them all. You just never know what you will find when you examine a warranty plate. Junk yards, Mustang restoration shops and parts businesses, warranty plates, body buck tags, broadcast sheets, body clips, you name it. And hey - you guys have me all charged up to get back into data collection and fresh information. You never know what you will find in your travels.
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Trouble

But the Marti database isn't open as a whole to the public as would be Jim's website. I believe they complement each other. Plus, knowing which cars still survive is important, too.

"I love it when a plan comes together!" -- Hannibal Smith

68sig4.jpg

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified
MiniMe, 1966 Mustang Jr. - For Fun

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified All Years
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 PM

Door plate information is just fine. All we need to know is who owns the car (where applicable). We will want to be able to get in touch with you, so address and phone are helpful. When the owner is unknown, worry not - just the VIN and codes. Body buck tag information is good too.
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:54 PM

I ordered a new '64 1/2 vert in May '64 and a '65 vert in Dec. '64. I have the
registations and info on vin, color, options etc. be happy to add to the data base.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page