Info On Early Mustangs - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:01 PM

Hi Laurie - Kevin Marti's database was/is a God send. Kevin has solved many a mystery for thousands of people. If ever Kevin was able to unearth 1965-66 information, it would be like going to Mecca. Because it doesn't look likely anyone will ever see 1965-66 Ford information because it appears to be completely gone, we have to accummulate what data we can. Back when we were actively collecting large amounts of data, we received VINs and codes from Ford dealer sales records, service departments, motor vehicle records from some states, junk yards, Mustangs just passing through people's collections, the old Ford Motorsports program, and more.

So many great stories from the 1980s. For example, one owner in Pennsylvania sent in their VIN and codes. A Ford dealer/enthusiast in South Carolina sent us its sales records from 1965-73. The Pennsylvania car's VIN showed up in his sales records, which solved that mystery for a PA Mustang owner. They learned where their car was sold new. Bob Gelsi of Gelsi's Mustang World in New Jersey allowed me to go through his salvage yard long ago - we found hundreds of Mustangs. We even found a door and warranty plate from a scrapped Metuchen car. The plate said "NO WARRANTY" We've no idea how that happened.

Every Mustang out there has a story. Some pretty good. Some not very interesting. We're interested in all of them.

Thanks, Laurie, for caddle-prodding me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:02 PM

Great - do send them along when you can. =)
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:16 PM

Jim: I want to thank you for compiling all the data
and putting it into your book, In Search Of Mustangs. It was through this data that I was able
to get back some of the identity of my mustang due
to its missing warranty plate, specifically the
the proposed build date of my mustang. I know I'm
not the only one you have helped, but just wanted
to say thank you for your efforts and I look forward
to the web site when it becomes operational.

Thanks Again: John

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:28 PM

My pleasure - I couldn't have done it without Jim Haskell's help. Jim has since retired and moved on to other things and I haven't heard from him in years. But, Jim was very instrumental in the architecture and success of our books.

Next time around, I'd like to do a single volume 1965-73 book with a lot more information - including color images, mini-features on interesting cars, and more. I'd like to also turn attention to Kevin Marti's efforts both in the website and in the book when it happens. Without Kevin's efforts, there would be so much we still would not know. Everyone out there who owns a 1967-73 Mustang should have a Marti Report. A Marti Report makes your Mustang's history iron clad.

Lets start a new chapter in Mustang Production Guide history and grow the database. =)
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Would "supposedly" the earliest 69 GT Sportsroof VIN #000008 be of interest?

Here's the phone number...
928-783-2419 (business/PST)

Dave

"The danger of communication is the illusion that it has occured"
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:08 PM

Why sure - you've probably got an "04G" date code. True? And a Ford DSO, true? Those first 1967-69 Mustangs with "04G" date codes all had unique histories - airport displays, car shows, even movies. I believe some had leaded seams and other unique treatments.
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:31 PM

"The term "Just Say No" isn't just for potential drug users, it also applies to our overwhelming desire to restore/rebuild every Mustang within arms reach."

This applies to me - saying "yes" to too many projects and finishing none of them. =)
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:50 PM

Yes, this car came out of LA/Beverly Hills, however it's not my car. It's a highly optioned Silver Jade Sportsroof GT with an astronomically low VIN in pristine condition. I've been trying to "push" this car onto an interested buyer as the current owner is a "Bow-Tie" guy and although he realizes it's rarity, he's not pricing it accordingly. I think $25k could get the car and a trailer to tow it home on. Southwest AZ location.

Dave

"The danger of communication is the illusion that it has occured"
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Sick of Corporations

Obviously....you'all need a wiki.

hehehehehehehe

Nick
1965 Fastback 410c AOD - DT
1967 Fastback 347 T5- Cruiser
1968 Fastback 408w T5 - Brute
1991 GT Hatch - Fauxbra
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 01:30 AM

Well - we are very interested in your data - VIN and all the codes. We have a few "04G" cars. I do know one was in a Burt Reynolds movie from the time period. I think it's a red convertible. Not sure where it is today. My home email is thesmart67@msn.com.
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:20 AM

Jim,
As others have stated, thanks for checking in. I've always loved reading your work and am glad to see you're still as passionate about it. I'll be shooting you an email with my information (which I should have done YEARS ago!)

One comment you made kinda made me grin:
Quote:
For example, one owner in Pennsylvania sent in their VIN and codes. A Ford dealer/enthusiast in South Carolina sent us its sales records from 1965-73. The Pennsylvania car's VIN showed up in his sales records, which solved that mystery for a PA Mustang owner. They learned where their car was sold new.
If you ever run across the exact opposite, an SC owner and PA dealer info for a '67 convertible, it just may be one that parents purchased in '67. Bought new in PA, moved to SC in '67, then traded to a Chrysler dealer several years later here in SC!!

John Wilson

My factory GT '66 Fastback (photo circa 1984, and I still have it!)
post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 AM

My pleasure... It took me a while because I know just enough about computers to be dangerous. I can also be the mouth that ate Tokyo - saying more than I should at times. Anyway - it is good to be here. I could not have done it without Laurie's help and support.

Thanks for your kind words, by the way. I've had the good fortune of doing what I do for 25 years. Amazed that I am still doing this a lifetime later - grateful for the opportunity. Donald Farr and Larry Dobbs gave me my start long ago when I knew not beans about how to be an editor. I got off to a bumpy start because I had a lot to learn about journalism and how to get along with people. Still working on the latter.

When Donald came back to MM in, I believe 2003, more good fortune because I've had a ball working with Donald. Good to be working with the guy who gave me my start. I remember the rush and thrill of coming to work at MM in January of 1984 - beating on an IBM Selectric, rubbing my hands together in euphoria, driving Donald nuts because we shared an office.

Coming to Dobbs and MM was like living a dream - a dream I thought would run its course and fade away. Who would have ever thought this Mustang mania thing would last 30 years? MM is in its 30th year this year

I remain passionate about Mustangs. I feel that passion when someone rolls up with a '65 hardtop and I hear the soft symphony of a 289-2V with single exhaust. My eyes sometimes get a pinch wet when I see a really striking Wimbledon White hardtop that reminds me of that Mona Lisa ad from April of 1964 - "Introducing The Unexpected..." Imagine what people thought when they cracked open LIFE or LOOK magazine and saw that ad. People lost their minds - especially when they saw $2368. No way... Way...

Mustang has been phenomenal - America's Favorite Fun Car - and ultimately the world's. And here we are 44 years down the road, still having fun with a legendary ride.

I find myself looking ahead to the Mustang's 50th Anniversary in 2014. We will need to make it an extraordinary event because, for anyone who bought one new, it will likely be their last anniversary celebration. Think about it...

Mustang has touched many lives, memories, and generations. Very telling is when young people, who weren't there in 1965, love the car as much as baby boomers. Its lines and charima are timeless.

Yeah - I remain passionate about these cars.

=)

post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to dale2007
I have some webspace and just installed a wiki package. If anyone wants to use this as a starting point, let me know. I also have fairly extensive database / web programming background. Not a graphics guy, but a functionality one. I'd be happy to lend a hand in any way possible. I think something more robust than a wiki would be a better solution in the long term.

Thanks,
Dale

66 I6 Coupe under construction

My Flickr Gallery
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 11:16 AM

Hey, if $$ is not an issue, let's fire up an E25k solaris box with a websphere portal and db2 backend!
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 11:36 AM

ct - we could do a couple auctions

-Jeff
MCA Gold Card Judge 64.5-66

all thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

http://www.MustangClubofTampa.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page