Headlight Updrade Options - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Anyone willing to share their best headlight upgrade story with me?
I have a 70 that the lights just don't cut it any more. Wiring or some other mods are ok with me.
Thanks
horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I went the simple way; just a new headlight switch and sealed halogens. Lots has been posted here about using relays to get full voltage to the bulbs, which is good if you have wiring problems, but I didn't find it necessary. The difference is amazing. Oncoming traffic flashes me thinking I have the brights on when they aren't. I put the new switch in for insurance. Been several years and it is all still just fine.
VictorII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

what is a relay, what would it do, and how would you wire it?Im trying to gain a little electrc knowledge since I keep heereing about relays to attach headlights and fog lights and parking lamps as running lamps.
carlosmaurixio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosmaurixio
what is a relay, what would it do, and how would you wire it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
Hemikiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah I read half way through that earlier, but ended up more confused... just trying to learn the basic function in a headlight setup.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

A relay in essence, let's you bypass all of the wiring going to and fro and "essentially" give you a nice fat connection directly to the battery.

Wire has resistance, the smaller and longer the wire the more. Resistance = less current. Less current = dimmer lights.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Its all clear now... so the switch controls the relay and the relay sits between the lights and the battery. Thanks.

To wire in the relay: could I use the wiring that goes from the HL switch to the HL to control the relay? And simply add a line that goes from battery to relay to HL? Or am I simplyfying too much?
Old 01-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

nope, you nailed it
Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

GREAT! for those of you who've done it, what relays would I need to wire the front HL and the rear stop lights? Those look pretty DIM and could cause an accident. Do I just go into radio shack and ask for a 12V relay or are there more complicated specs? Also would an inline fuse be a good idea between batt. and relay?

On the rear, I dont think LED's are for me and Im already planning to paint the inside shell white, I've heard it works, but perhaps an additional relay would be even better.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

A hotter draw or load by certain types of halogen lights (e.g. foglites or driving lites) requires heavier circuitry hardware (switches, wires, etc.) to hande the extra load. This in itself is not a problem, simply put in the heavier wire and away you go. Picture a grade 10 electrical shop high school task, where you have to construct a basic circuit:

battery (+ side) -> wire-> switch-> wire-> light-> wire going back to-> battery (- side).

Now your existing Mustang headlight circuit is basically this, but on a scale suitable with regular headlights, with some additions like marker lights that we don't need to get into.

Now upgrading your headlights to units with a heavier draw: To visualize this, imagine the better pulling power of a 750 cfm versus a 450 cfm carb, you'd want bigger displacement, better manifolding, lumpier camshaft, bigger valve size, freer exhaust to take advantage of the bigger carb.
So it is with a heavier set of lights, or air horns, or whatever exterior electrical accessory, you reinforce the hardware to take it.
So rebuild your circuit , right? Well, your car already has stock wiring for the headlight circuit. It's silly to rewire the whole circuit with upgraded wiring. So how to reconcile the need for heavier wiring with the stock wiring we have?
Solution: add a relay.
The relay uses the above high school example, but after the new heavier wire you install leaves the Batt + side or other switched on pwer source, a "left turn" is inserted instead of the switch in the high school example. This "left turn" is called a relay, and to one of its four or five terminals (both are common) you attach a normal car gauge (14 or 16 gauge is fine IIRC) trigger wire, and it runs from the relay to whatever you wish to use to turn on your new lights. It can be connected to another circuit (parking lights if you wish) or a new switch you put in the dash, or whatever source you wish to use that when it is turned on it will tell the headlights to go on also. This is called a trigger circuit. You then run a light gauge wire back from this trigger switch back to the relay, one of the terminals on the relay will be for this return wire.
In the high school example above, this all functions as the switch, but does so using the lighter gauge, existing car wiring you have in your Mustang. You install the heavier gauge (12 is good) wire for the rest of the high school example - that is, your new lights. The rest of the relay terminals - one (or possibly two, on a five prong relay) go to the lights directly. all using the new haevier gauge wire, and the remaining terminal goes to a good ground like the frame or negative terminal of battery.

Two benefits of all this: 1) heavier circuitry will properly run your better lights, with excellent results, and 2) no new heavy or hot currect carrying wire will enter the driver's compartment.

I did all this with a set of Cibie Super Oscar driving lights with 100 watt bulbs on my old VW - I measured those suckers as they lit up the road for 7200 feet- and for 14 years never had an overheated wire or problem or output issue.
[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), orig engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in summer of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 gear, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Opentracker roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)
jfstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

I assume if you have a '69-70 you'll have to have two relays?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

AFAICS no, one relay should do the job if you wish to install one. One relay will do both headlights, no other circuit is really affected, unless you are specifically referring to the 4 headlight system on the 69.
FWIW, I am NOT running a separate headlight relay on my stock 67 GT, and I've got Cibie H4 headlights installed and they do a great job as they are. Have had this setup in the car since 1971, no problems have ever been experienced and have good voltage at lights.
[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), orig engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in summer of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 gear, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Opentracker roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)
jfstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

My personal plan is IPF housings and Sylvania Silverstar H4 bulbs with a relay harness. We did something very similar in my buddy's truck and I'm a believer, it's like turning on daylight.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

My mistake, I was asking about the four lights of my '69..
Old 01-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Would a relay kit like this work?
Any one have a source for a relay kit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...201218873&rd=1
horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.