'65 Fastback Interior Colors - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have been restoring the dash of my '65 Fastback after someone cut holes for a larger radio. I cut and welded in new pieces for the radio bezel and am just about to paint... the problem is I am having a difficult time finding paint for my dash! The interior of my car is a light tan color which I am led to believe is Light Palomino. I see that this color is easy to purchase in aerosol can form, but I seem to be having a difficult time locating the paint to spray using a spray gun. Does anyone know how to find the proper paint codes so that I can have this color mixed up locally? What type of paint does everyone recommend? I want my dash to look concourse.
rhough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

The closest '65 interior color to your description would be Palomino, PPG code 22519, but I wouldn't describe it as a light color. What is the interior code on your door's warranty plate?

I noticed there's a Light Palomino interior color used on Galaxies, PPG code 22520, but this was not used on any Mustang interior from the factory.

See the Auto Color Library for more info, such as where these colors were applied:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...-ford-pg02.jpg
MCA 50336, Concours Certified Judge '64 - '66 class
sdgrant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Originally I thought it was Palomino, but after talking to a bunch of local paint shops I was convinced by them that the actual color was called Light Palomino... which they then told me they were not able to mix. I have been confused because I cannot find the warranty plate for my door jam.

What is the best paint to buy for painting from a spray gun and where is the best place to buy it? I am still looking to have a concours dash.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Is it possible your car is a '66 model? Post the VIN and we can be sure. The '66 models did not have a white interior option like the '65 models; it was replaced with a light tan color called Parchment (the exception was on the two-tone deluxe interiors blue/white, aqua/white, and ivy gold/white where the '65 white was used). This sounds like the color you're describing. Unfortunately, the color library does not list the PPG code for Parchment.

Give us more of a description of your interior. If it's a '66 Parchment interior it will be all Parchment on painted and vinyl surfaces with a second color for carpet / dash pad / dash hardware / seat belts. These pieces are called "appointments," and could be black, blue, aqua, ivy gold, or burgundy.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

No, I checked the vin and it is a 5F car.

My interior color actually looks more like the interior in this pic:
http://www.folddownseat.com/100_0573.jpg

My seats look exactly that color (which is Palomino)... If I need to post a pic of my interior, I can do that... but I have no idea how to post pics on here yet!

Since my interior paint looks the same as the paint in that car, I think my dash is Palomino... what do you think? I think Parchment is a much lighter color...
Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Aha, that's an Ivy Gold interior, not Palomino or Parchment! Also, the picture shows a deluxe interior, so it would be Ivy Gold / White two-tone. Ivy Gold is PPG code 22517.

Does your car have the deluxe interior? If so, the dash metal face would be White, not Ivy Gold.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Do you have a link that shows the different interior colors for 1965 deluxe interiors? The closest I have found is this:
http://www.mustangdepot.com/graphics/cs-6566.pdf
Was it possible from the factory to have seats that have a different color material than your dash/dash pad and doors? I'm particularly wondering if with the Pony Interior package you could have Palomino seats and then the rest of the car dressed in Ivy Gold/White two-tone.

There are a few confusing pieces to the puzzle... one of the doors does have a two-tone paint job with one part being white and the other being probably the Ivy Gold (although I thought it was going to be a Palomino... even though I know that can't be two-tone with white). The other door is painted one solid color (probably solid Ivy Gold, but again I thought it was Palomino...). It sounds like what I need to do is get some color swatches of Palomino and Ivy Gold so I can see which one matches my interior best... the issue is complicated by the fact that my seats are already upholstered in Palomino from the previous owner (I am sure the seats are Palomino). In the end you are probably right and the interior probably is painted in Ivy Gold, but looking at the pic in that PDF Ivy Gold looks more green than I expected...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post your door tag information. I'm sure several persons could tell you exactly what color you are supposed to have and what colors the interior trim should be.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

A deluxe interior door would be painted like a non-deluxe door - one solid color. The two-tone effect comes from a white vinyl door panel. In your case, the door would be painted Ivy Gold.

No, there was no factory Mustang interior that had Palomino seats with another color for the rest of the interior. It appears your previous owner used an incorrect replacement seat color. If you have the Ivy Gold / White deluxe interior, your seats should be Ivy Gold / White two-tone. Also, the dash pad would be Ivy Gold, and the metal dash face would be painted White.

Does either door have the door courtesy light? This is a deluxe interior feature and is not on a standard interior door.

The '65 deluxe interiors are:

62 - Blue / White
65 - Red
66 - Black
67 - Aqua / White
68 - Ivy Gold / White
69 - Palomino
F2 - White / Blue appt.
F5 - White / Red appt.
F6 - White / Black appt.
F7 - White / Aqua appt.
F8 - White / Ivy Gold appt.
F9 - White / Palomino appt.

Note that Red / White and Black / White two-tone deluxe interiors were NOT factory options. They are popular aftermarket creations, however.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

63BGT66, I cannot find my warranty plate... it got lost somewhere over the years apparently.

Well, The metal dash face was painted a tan color. I'm not sure if the dash was the original color (since it appears the doors were painted at some point), but I think the dash is the original color since I didn't sand through any other colors when sanding it down to bare metal. The car originally had a standard interior as the car has numerous items that remain standard. The items that come to mind are the steering wheel (factory tan plastic), the kick panels, and the lack of a courtesy light in the door.

I suppose I need to post a few pics of numerous parts of the interior so that I can get some opinions... I'll try to get these up tonight or tomorrow. Can I post pictures directly to the forum or do I have to just place links in the forum? I see under the FAQs that it is possible to post files, but I don't see how to do this...
Old 03-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

So it sounds like your car started out as
a standard interior which would mean that
the metal dash would be parchment (tan), the dash
pad and carpet could be a different color.
I had a 66 conv. with parchment standard interior,
it had a green dash pad and carpet, the rest
was all parchment color.

65 Fastback 2+2 Rangoon red, red interior
6 cyl, AT, A/C, P.S., P.B.

MCA# 00945

Previously owned Mustangs:
6F07C,5F07T,5F09A,6F08A,
5F07C,3F03F,1F03H,3F03H,
1F04F,3F01L,8F03Y,9F03W,
84 SVO,86 SVO
65fastback6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

We've confirmed the car is a '65 model, which means it couldn't have Parchment interior because that was not available in '65. It was first available in the '66 models.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgrant
We've confirmed the car is a '65 model, which means it couldn't have Parchment interior because that was not available in '65. It was first available in the '66 models.
That's right, sorry I just kept thinking 66

65 Fastback 2+2 Rangoon red, red interior
6 cyl, AT, A/C, P.S., P.B.

MCA# 00945

Previously owned Mustangs:
6F07C,5F07T,5F09A,6F08A,
5F07C,3F03F,1F03H,3F03H,
1F04F,3F01L,8F03Y,9F03W,
84 SVO,86 SVO
65fastback6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have a an early 65 coupe (built Nov 64) and have the ivy gold interior. The color of the steering wheel, column, metal dash face looks charcoal gray indoors, but I believe is dark ivy gold as it appears greener in the daylight. However, the rest of interior paint is light ivy gold. (which never matched the plastic and vinyl very well). Post your pictures, I am curious to see if you have the same int as mine. Also, I have had paint matched and mixed so the plasitc and vinyl matches perfectly (not the way it was from the factory, but looks alot better). I am also goint to paint the metal dash face that same color.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Okay, so I've included a few pics now... Here's a shot of the old radio bezel with holes cut in it. Sigh.

In this photo you can see more of the carpet:

Note: These photos were from before I sanded the dash down and fixed the radio bezel.

The paint, dashpad, and carpet seem to be more of a tan or brown color than green... so that's why I don't think the dash is Ivy Green. Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.