Convert power brakes to manual - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have a 1968 Mustang with power disk brakes. I'm thinking of converting it from power brakes to manual brakes. What would be involved? The firewall has the big hole in it for the booster. Has anyone performed this conversion?
peterkw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would imagine the hole is the same size for both.

Your pedal carrier does not have the captive nuts for the MC bolts to go into so you would have to use bolts with nuts on the back or swap out the pedal carrier. You may want to do that anyway since a power brake pedal carrier and the power brake longer pedal are worth a lot more than the non-power brake set-up to people going the other way with theirs. You would of course have to block off the vacuum port.

Suggestion: pull the entire pedal set-up and MC and booster and sell it as a unit, then buy the cheaper manual brake set-up pedals and a new MC.

Built a 1967 Shelby GT-350 Convertible Replica, a 67 Vert resto-mod and also built a 427 FE 67 Shelby GT-500R (R Stands for Replica). 427 Side Oiler, toploader 4spd, 4 wheel discs, 9" traction loc and a perfect body. What more could you ask for? Now I car hunt and horse trade and I am currently looking for the next project! Always seeking that elusive "reasonable" Shelby.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2503347
olddustyrelics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not sure on the '67/'68, but on the '69/'70, the firewall hole is in a different location for a manual brake car vs. a power brake. You may have to "relocate" the hole.

Otherwise, it's as dustyrelics said.

You will definitely want to change the pedal, and I would recommend doing as he says, with getting the manual brake pedal hanger. Trying to put an MC on with nuts and bolts will be a Royal PIA.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome to the VMF !!

The swap should be straight forward. As the others suggested, it would make life a lot easier if you picked up a new pedal support made for the manual brakes and a matching pedal (manual/automatic tranny pedals are different as well). Other than that, pick up a manual M/C from your favorite local parts store (drum/drum or disc/drum), plug the vacuum port, and you should be good to go. I'm sure others will chime in if I missed something.

BTW, I sent you a Private Topic concerning this swap. Good luck
Old 03-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
). Other than that, pick up a manual M/C from your favorite local parts store (drum/drum or disc/drum)
Actually, if it's disk/drum, I would recommend using a '74 Maverick MC. It has a different bore and the pedal effort is a lot better than if you used a Mustang MC, since all Mustang disk/drum MC's are designed to work with a power booster.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.