Ford brake spindle interchange? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi all,

I'm trying to find any info/data on what drum/disk spindles from the 65-73 Mustangs were used on other Fords from that era? Did the Falcons use the same spindle? What years? Mavericks, etc... I'm trying to figure out what other Fords would fit my brake kits that use the 65-73 Mustang drum spindles.

Thanks!

Shaun
www.streetortrack.com
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have 1970 Maverick 6 cylinder drum spindles on my '68 and they have the same part number as the '70 Mustang units and I use '70 Mustang bearings and an aftermarket brake kit on them. I pulled them from the car myself at the pick n pull so this should be reliable info...

68Restoman
68restoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

The '65-'67 V-8 spindles were the same and had a 4-bolt flange for drums or a special cast iron bracket that bolted to the 4-bolt spindle to install the factory (fixed) 4-piston K/H front calipers. These spindles had a slim spindle pin design.

In '68, the disc brake spindles went to a 2-point mounting location to mount the cast iron anchor brackets for mounting a single piston sliding caliper. This disc brake spindle was a carry over to the '69s as well. These also had thin spindle pins.

The '68/'69 drum spindles used a 4-bolt flange like the earlier '65'67s.

In '70, the same basic disc brake spindle as the '68 version was used, but in '70 the spindle pins were increased in diameter (stonger). --the '69 Bosses actually got this revised disc spindle first before they became standard on the '70-'73 disc-equipped Mustangs.

The threads of the '70-up disc spindles have fine spindle nut threads vs. The '68/'69 disc spindles which have coarse threads. The outer tie rod hole of the Mustang is also larger in diameter than the '68/'69 disc spindles. The upper caliper anchor bracket uses a 9/16" fastener to hold the upper part of the bracket to the spindle's upright.

'70-'73 Mustangs with front drums also had 4-bolt flange spindles, but had the thicker spindle pins with fine thread spindle pin nuts.

The '70-'73 Mavericks and '71-'73 Mercury Comets also had 4-bolt flange drum brake spindles with the thick spindle pins like the '70-up Mustangs. Starting in 1974, the Maverick/Comets came standard with front disc brakes. It's basically the same spindle as the '70-up Mustangs, but has a 1/2" diameter fastener on the upright instead of a 9/16", and the outer tie rod hole is slightly larger than the tie rod hole on the '70-up Mustang spindle.

The '74 Maverick/Comet disc brake spindle was a carry-over into the '75-'80 Granadas/Mercury Monarchs. There is no difference in the front disc assemblies on the V8 Gran/Mon models vs. the V6 models. They are the same parts contrary to some reports that the 6-cylinder Gran/Mon's have smaller front brakes.

Cougars and Torinos of the same vintage would also have the same spindles as the Mustangs with the same change features per year model as the Mustang's spindle changes occured.
2003 Mach 1
1969 F-100 short bed Ranger pickup

Producer of Mk VII and SN-95 Rear Disc Brake Conversion Brackets Since 2002.
http://www.ultrastang.com
ultrastang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

This might be $25 bucks well spent (?):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holla...mZ320210784696
2003 Mach 1

Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think that book is pretty useful, of course, as long as it has full documentation.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Gonna bring this one back.

Will a 66 Mustang V8 drum spindle fit a 70 Maverick with an inline 6?
Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Hi all,

I'm trying to find any info/data on what drum/disk spindles from the 65-73 Mustangs were used on other Fords from that era? Did the Falcons use the same spindle? What years? Mavericks, etc... I'm trying to figure out what other Fords would fit my brake kits that use the 65-73 Mustang drum spindles.

Thanks!
Shaun,

One thing to remember, is the 70's Maverick, and 70's Granada Spindles will not accept any of the Mustang hardware, rotors (As they are smaller) , Tie Rods, Calipers, Brackets, etc. Granada is Granada, Mustang is Mustang.

Dan @ Chockostang
CHOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOCK View Post
Shaun,

One thing to remember, is the 70's Maverick, and 70's Granada Spindles will not accept any of the Mustang hardware, rotors (As they are smaller) , Tie Rods, Calipers, Brackets, etc. Granada is Granada, Mustang is Mustang.

Dan @ Chockostang
In reference to the '70 Mustang disc spindle vs. a '76 Maverick/'76 Granda disc spindle, they all share the same critical mounting point locations. They also share the same size inner & outer rotor bearing sizes. The two differences they do have are the upper caliper anchor bracket mounting bolt diameters and the outer tie rod hole diameters.

The '70-'73 Mustang upper caliper anchor bracket hole is designed for a 9/16" bolt. The Maverick/Granada upper disc brake caliper anchor bracket hole is for 1/2" diameter bolt.

You could put '70-'73 [actually, '68-'73] Mustang rotors and calipers on a Maverick/Granada front disc spindle If you drilled the upper Maverick/Granada disc spindle anchor bracket hole out to 9/16", and use the Mustang's caliper anchor bracket, along with the Mustang's caliper and rotor. For the outer tie rods, you would just need to use the outer tie rod specific to the year model Maverick/Granada spindle being used.

If you wanted to go the other way, the Maverick/Granada front discs could be put on the Mustang disc brake spindles by using the Mav/Gran's rotors, Mav/Gran's caliper anchor brackets and calipers [upper caliper anchor bracket hole on Mustang disc brake spindle is already large enough for the Granada upper caliper bolt]. The outer tie rod to use would be determined by the year model Mustang disc brake spindles being used.

However, even though this can be done, there wouldn't be much point since the '68-'73 Mustang disc brake rotors are only 17/64" [.26"] larger --[only slightly more then 1/4"] than the Mav/Gran's rotors. i.e. --no significant gains in stopping performance between the Mustang's 11-19/64" rotors vs. the Mav/Gran's 11-1/32" rotors. If the Mustang's rotors were 1", or greater, in diameter than the Mav/Gran's rotors, then that would actually equate to a major performance difference worth noting.
2003 Mach 1

Old 03-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Is it true that the Granada spindle on a 70-later car still need the Granada tie rods?
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Ron Morris-like Motor Mounts
DIY Engine Crossmember
DIY Camber Eccentric Eliminator Plates
buening is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok so if I am reading right the drum brake spindles are the same For the Comet(71-73) Maverick(70-73) and the Mustang(70-73). Larger pins and bearings. Same thing as the Cobra Automotive spindles?
14CHARLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buening View Post
Is it true that the Granada spindle on a 70-later car still need the Granada tie rods?
Yes.

Not a piece of the Granada Hardware, Rotors, Calipers, Tie rods, Pads, on and on, fit the Mustang---Not one piece. Dam Headache at best.

Dan @ Chockostang
CHOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ultrastang, not saying I'm right but I was under the impression that the 65-66 drum spindles were different from the 67 drum spindles from the tie rod arm standpoint. Isn't the geometry different? I thought the 65-66 arms had more of an offset.

Rehab is for quiters!

Huskinhano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Ultrastang, not saying I'm right but I was under the impression that the 65-66 drum spindles were different from the 67 drum spindles from the tie rod arm standpoint. Isn't the geometry different? I thought the 65-66 arms had more of an offset.
There is no difference in a '65/'66 Mustang "drum" or "disc "brake spindle. In '67, there is also no difference in spindles for drums or discs however, there is a difference between '67 spindles vs. '65/'66 spindles. A '67 Mustang's track width is 2" wider than a '65/'66 model thus, the steering arm angles are not the same.

'68 was the first year Ford began producing a totally different designed spindle specifically for disc brakes. '68 models with drums still had the 4-hole spindle design.

'70 was the first year that [both] the drum and disc brake spindles got the larger diameter spindle pins and large outer tie rods [well, really, the '69 Boss 302s were the first to get the thicker-pinned spindles, but by '70, all production Mustangs got the larger spindle pins].

A '65/'66 V8 Mustang outer tie rod has a .52" large diameter taper, 1/2"-20 rod end thread, 3/8"-24 stud thread, .54" small diameter taper, and a .54" taper length.

A '67-'69 Mustang outer tie rod has a .56" large diameter taper, .688"-18 rod end thread, 7/16"20 stud thread, .51" small diameter taper, and a .42" taper length.

A '70-'73 Mustang outer tie rod has a .6" large diameter taper, .688"-18 rod end thread, 1/2"-20 stud thread, .53" small diameter taper, and a .53"taper length.

A Disc brake Maverick/Comet or all Granadas/Monarchs [same disc brake components] will have an outer tie rod with a .62" large diameter taper, .688"-18 rod end thread, 1/2"-20 stud thread, .53" small diameter taper, and a .55" taper length.
2003 Mach 1

Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastang View Post
A '70-'73 Mustang outer tie rod has a .6" large diameter taper, .688"-18 rod end thread, 1/2"-20 stud thread, .53" small diameter taper, and a .53"taper length.

A Disc brake Maverick/Comet or all Granadas/Monarchs [same disc brake components] will have an outer tie rod with a .62" large diameter taper, .688"-18 rod end thread, 1/2"-20 stud thread, .53" small diameter taper, and a .55" taper length.
So indeed the common saying that you need 70-later tie rod ends when doing the Granada brake conversion is incorrect? If I'm reading that right, the granada has 0.02" larger taper and thus a 70 tie rod would be a bit loose in a Granada spindle?
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Ron Morris-like Motor Mounts
DIY Engine Crossmember
DIY Camber Eccentric Eliminator Plates
buening is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buening View Post
So indeed the common saying that you need 70-later tie rod ends when doing the Granada brake conversion is incorrect? If I'm reading that right, the granada has 0.02" larger taper and thus a 70 tie rod would be a bit loose in a Granada spindle?

For the record, I changed out the stock front drums on my '68 Mustang, in 1990, to Granada front discs. I used two new outer tie rods for a '70 Mustang [TRW p/n ES387R]. I never had any problems with them, but they are slightly different from the actual [correct] Granada tie rods.

My suggestion would be to use the tie rod for the make/model of spindles you are running. This way, you don't have to wonder if the fit is correct.
2003 Mach 1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.