Rear End for 1965 Mustang - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Which 9 inch fits better under a 1965 Mustang?
1957 Ford Wagon?
1957 Ford Sedan?
1959 Edsel Sedan?
1978 Monarch?
1978 Versailles?
Mercury 75
wyominggaswell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Any of the 57 thru 59 housing's bolt right in.Your 8 in. axles will slip right in and work fine.I think the wagon's have the big bearing which you want to stay away from.I would also stay away from the versailles rear because of the disc brakes.I've had a 57 in my 65 Fastback for 8 years now with a 3.70 gear and havn't had the first problem.I've road raced it and drag raced it numerous times.Turns low 13's in 1/4 and I snatch the gears hard.My 2 cents worth.
jim hamrac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

What? What is wrong with disk brakes? I never had a problem with my old versailles and my new 9" with big bearings looks great and I have no worries about it. I sold my versailles due to the builder and difficulty finding parts is all. I did opted for 31 spline, cobra rear disk, trac loc 3.89 and knew what went in it since I built it.

An 8" will work fine if it is built correctly too up to a certain hp level.
copasspupil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

"I sold my versailles due to the builder and difficulty finding parts is all". That's all,enough said.Rear disc are great but the versaille's require's more work than just a bolt in.If you read my comment I referred to the 57 being a bolt in and a simple changeover.A big bearing rearend is great but not as common as the smaller version.I just said my 57 small bearing housing has held up to a lot of stress over the years and has been trouble free.Another 2 cents worth.
jim hamrac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'll further my response. My Versailles needed calipers, rotors, e brake cables and dust shields. I was able to find the calipers and rotors - somewhat difficult to locate - but no luck with the e brake cables. I made some dust shields work. Sure you could buy some lokar ones and make them work.

They all bolt in. No need to shorten which is a big expense.

My rear end builder was also my engine builder so when the engine blow apart after 73 miles and seeing what he was suppose to do and what he did...I sold the rear end. I did not trust his work which is the only reason why I sold it. If you can find one, check it out, make sure it is all there or find out what is needed. 3-500 for it complete. It is also heavier than most.
copasspupil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks all. I have all of these rears. I was just trying to decide which is easiest.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you go with any of the late 50's rear you'll be running the risk of getting the WAR or WAA casting diff case. These have a rep for being weak. I bought the housing and axle kit from Summit for the 65-66 Mustang and it saved a lot of cleaning and fabbing........Mike
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury75
Which 9 inch fits better under a 1965 Mustang?
1957 Ford Wagon?
1957 Ford Sedan?
1959 Edsel Sedan?
1978 Monarch?
1978 Versailles?
Mercury 75
All these will bolt into an early Mustang, since they all have the same 43 inch center-to-center distance on their spring perches, and all are basically 52ΒΌ" wide (minus the brake assemblies).

All the '57-'59 Ford passenger big cars will have small axle bearings (just like the early Mustang 8- & 9-inch rear ends). Only the '57-'59 Ford/Mercury station wagons and the Ranchero 9-inch rears had large axle bearings.

The Granada/Monarch/Versailles 9-inch disc brake large bearing rear ends have relatively heavy disc brake components, but they can be changed out for more abundant, modern, SN95 Cobra rear brakes --assuming you have wheels large enough to clear the rotor/calipers: http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...E.aspx?id=2054

There were also Granada/Monarch 9-inch small bearing rears that came with drum brakes. These also have the narrow width housing and same 43- inch center-to-center perch spread. This is a 9-inch drum brake rear end I got from a 1980 Mercury Monarch (powered by a 250 cu. in. 6-cylinder):
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7...anmonarki5.jpg

As you can see from the Monarch 9-inch drum brake rear end (just like a Versailles 9-inch disc brake rear end), the housing is much more robust in the area from the center, sloping outward toward the axle tubes, compared to the '60 T-Bird 9-inch housing in this photo :
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9...ings002pa0.jpg

The old (weaker) WAA, WAB, and WAR 3rd members of the '57-'60 model Ford 9-inch rears isn't much of a problem, since you can easily swap them out for the stronger, more common, C7AW (single vertical rib) 9-inch cases or for the ultimate in strength, an N-case (my two N-cases. Daytona version on right):
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/9569/ncaseuc9.jpg

Any Ford 9-inch 3rd member with fit any Ford 9-inch housing --you just have to be sure the 3rd member's axle gear spline count matches that of the axle's spline count (either 28 or 31-splines).

This '80 9-inch drum brake rear end (Before) http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7...anmonarki5.jpg Now, looks like this with the adaptation of the Cobra rear discs I mounted to with with conversion brackets I fabricated for the changeover:
http://justpassing.thruhere.net/usta...nt0243cf_2.jpg

2003 Mach 1
1969 F-100 short bed Ranger pickup

Producer of Mk VII and SN-95 Rear Disc Brake Conversion Brackets Since 2002.
http://www.ultrastang.com
ultrastang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

So, uhh... where are you located so I can snag a rear end from you?

ajfriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm in Wyoming. What do you need?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm in Casper Wyoming.
I think I have 7 or 8 9-inch rear housings to fit a 65 Mustang. I have multiple 3rd members ranging from N case to WAR cases. I have traction locks (2 and 4 pinion) and limited slip rears These date from 1963 through 1978. All are 28 Spline. I have rear discs from Explorer or Versailles. I have rear drums as big as 10X2-1/2 or 11X 2 1/4. Not all will fit stock 14 inch wheels. Ihave axles for most of them. I'm still acquiring. Let me know what interests you. I haven't figured any prices yet. I know I don't need to keep them.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Wyominggaswell,
Do you still have the 9 inch parts that you had listed? I have a 58 Ranchero 9 inch (57 1/4 inches wide) that I can't seem to find an axel for it.
Thanks,
Mustang371
Mustang371 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.