Ford 9 Inch Rear End - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

How do you change the gear oil on the 72 mustang ford 9 Inch rear end and what gear oil is reccommended?
Fordication is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

What? No ones ever changed the gear oil in a ford rearend.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to getlive65 Send a message via MSN to getlive65 Send a message via Yahoo to getlive65

demanding are we? haha. i put redline 75w90 in my 9"... don't remember off the top of my head how much though.

i'm sure a shop manual will have the capacity.

-65 A code FB, tired 7R02K engine, air gap/1405, tcp uca,maier stuff, T5+ 3:89=no 1st gear, 9inch, cf hood, jdm galore, *々!
-bone stock M code 69 Mach 1
-65 coupe w/alllllllll the goodies^^
[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/****entenemusu/IMG_1955-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/****entenemusu/IMG_2114-2-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/****entenemusu/DSCN0436-2-1.jpg[/IMG]
getlive65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 01:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

The damn shop manuals do not even tell you where the drain is or where the fill hole is.Thats why I am asking before I attempt the job tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mrcoffee12 Send a message via MSN to mrcoffee12

What type of shop manuals do you have? The Haynes manual I have says 2 quarts, and I'm sure that the filler hole/plug whatever is pretty obvious, probably about 2/3 of the way up the case. I think on mine it's on the front, just to one side of the driveline, but it's been a while since I was under there.

I have a '72 coupe also with the stock, open, 9" so it should be the same

I've never messed with the rear end, but you may need a suction gun to do the job of changing the fluid.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I will check in the morning. I am still havine problems with the transmission and will take care of that first.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to getlive65 Send a message via MSN to getlive65 Send a message via Yahoo to getlive65

the drain plug should be the easy part. my third member didn't have a place to fill! i ended up using the brake block thingamajiggy.

-65 A code FB, tired 7R02K engine, air gap/1405, tcp uca,maier stuff, T5+ 3:89=no 1st gear, 9inch, cf hood, jdm galore, *々!
-bone stock M code 69 Mach 1
-65 coupe w/alllllllll the goodies^^
[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/****entenemusu/IMG_1955-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/****entenemusu/IMG_2114-2-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/****entenemusu/DSCN0436-2-1.jpg[/IMG]
getlive65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 02:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I will look again in the morning but I did not see a drain or a fill plug. I may just wait until I get the posi rearend and do it then
Old 06-11-2008, 02:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

BTW I have the 2.73 open rear end now and I want to put a posi in the rear end. I have a 3spd FMX and 16" tires 55 series. Would a 3.0 pos or 3.25 be too much to keep my gas mileage close to what it is now. I was wanting some extra vroom and when I burn rubber its kinda embarrasing when only on wheel spins.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mrcoffee12 Send a message via MSN to mrcoffee12

Going from 2.73 to 3.0 or 3.25 is going to make a noticeable difference in RPMs when cruising with just a 3 speed, and therefore gas mileage. But it depends on what sort of driving you do more of, if it's all freeway then you're going to see a drop, but if it's mostly around town, you probably won't see much difference.

Put a 5 speed in, or anything with an OD gear, and you can step up to 3.25 without much difference in gas mileage.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Argggghhh! I was hoping not to hear that. I guess I will go with the 3.00 with a posi and keep my foot out of it. The AOD is for next year.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordication
Argggghhh! I was hoping not to hear that. I guess I will go with the 3.00 with a posi and keep my foot out of it. The AOD is for next year.
FWIW, a 3.25 is fine. Keeping your foot out of it is more important than the gear ratio when we're talking 2.75-3.00-3.25. There will only be a 200~300 rpm difference at 60mph with each of these gears. My Mach has 3.40s and it gets 16mpg. If I actually spent the time to tune the carb, it should get a little better.

If you wanted to do 3.91, then we're talking bad mileage.

Regarding changing the lube, don't bother until you are ready to swap the gears. If it really bothers you, then get one of those drill powered pumps and suck it out through the fill plug.

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
Hemikiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

go to a boat shop and buy one of their oil pump cans. I'd wait until you remove the gears to weld in a bung for it so draining is easier btw.
copasspupil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Go with the 3.25. The 3.00 is not enough of a change to warrant getting a new gearset.

And if you are going to get an AOD fairly soon then go to 3.50 gears. There's a point of diminishing returns with low numerical gears. You can actually get the highway rpm so low that you get worse gas mileage. Not to mention really lousy acceleration.

The advantage of OD is that you get the best of both worlds. Good acceleration with low highway rpms. If you use 3.25 or 3.00 gears with OD then you are giving up the acceleration aspect.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Ok then. Yeah I have to go to Dallas to drop off a package thats too large to mail. SInce I am there there is a guy that sells the posi units rebuilt for ~$400 rebuilt. I am going to pick one up and bring it home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.