70 brake line routing diagram? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi,

I have not posted for awhile... Well, I sold my 66 Stang and am now into 67 Cougars.

Anyway, I upgraded from power drums to 70 power discs. I purchased a set of 70 brake lines (hard and flex). Does anyone have any diagrams or photos of the routing/mounting?

I found one diagram from "Classic Tubes" but it is not very detailed.

Thanks,
Joe Gallagher

AZ66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

While I probably don't have any good pics showing what you want, they routed no differently than any of the other '65-'69 Mustangs. The only difference from the previous years, was the integral proportioning valve. The only difference this makes is around the distribution block/proportioning valve (makes it just like the '65-'69 drum brake cars).
Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply John.

I have them roughly installed but I wanted to double check my connections. The dist block is vertical with the 70 setup (two mounting studs). My 67 dist block was horizontal (one mounting stud). I am also curious how it was originally routed and secured to the firewall etc. Not that this setup is correct but I think the engineers did it right back then and why change it now. I have all the 67 assembly manuals and I try to stick as close to them as possible. Just don't want to invest in a 70 manual for one item...

I also noticed that the 67/70 mounting points at the flex line differ. The 67 chassis has a bracket with a clip at the flex line-to-hard line (w/180deg hard line turn) where as the 70 has a bracket that is part of the flex line itself (no 180 turn, straight hard line).

What I have so far: (Updated; as of today)
Old 06-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

You are correct about it mounting vertically. If I remember the master will go to the top of the tee with the right part of the tee feeding the left front brake. The left of the tee will feed the right front brake. On the bottom half, the master to the right side of the proportioning valve and the left bottom corner feeds the rear brakes. This is looking at it mounted in the car and looking at it from the passenger side. I will try to check my shop manuals tomorrow evening. Is this the information you are looking for?
Grabber70Mach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have '70 brakes in both my '66 and my '69. In the '69, however, I'm using the '69 distribution block and "torpedo" proportioning valve (with all it's billions of lines).

On the '66, I used the '70 combo valve. I drilled an extra hole and have it mounted upside down, but horizontal. This way, all the existing '66 hard lines hooked right up to it, with the help of one adapter.

On the flex lines, I used the Russell steel braided lines. They'll last longer than the stock rubber lines, and they cost less (for some bizzare reason). I used the brackets that came with the Rusell lines on the '69, because the drum brake brackets wouldn't work with the disk brakes. The drum brake brackets on the '66, however, worked fine with the '70 disk brakes. The '69 manual brake lines needed a fitting to attach to the '70 flex lines, but the '66 manual brake lines didn't.

It was odd to me that the '70 disk brake hardware is more compatible with the '66 manual brakes than it is the '69 manual brakes.

Doubt any of that helps you, but figured I'd throw it out there.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, that helps THANKS. any other info from your shop manual would be much appreciated.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sure it does John. More trivia to quiz others with. :-)

Yeah, I decided to go all 70 with the exception of my original power booster which I had rebuilt. 70 brakes with spindles, outer tie rods, master cylinder, dist block, hard lines, and braided flex lines.

By the way; Speaking of trivia. The 70 setup has a two prong warning light sender. My 67 has a single wire. The single wire sensor threads right into the 70 fitting. What are the odds of this working?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ66
What are the odds of this working?
Should work just fine. Don't loose that '67 switch. They aren't made in reproduction (the '69/later are, though).
Old 06-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Checked the manuel this evening that is the correct hookup that I said above. Is there any other information you are looking for?
Old 06-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

I would love a diagram if possible for my records. Might be nice to have it posted as a reference for others as well. I often take digital photos of diagrams with good results if a scanner is not available. If it's to much trouble don't worry about it.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Tried to scan it but have had no luck with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.