Vintage Mustang Forums banner

P S Control Valve Adjustment

23K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  CHOCK 
#1 ·
I tried to make a adjustment to P S but it still goes back and forth on its own in short rapid movements. The manual says to snug nut then back off a 1/4 turn . When it says snug does it mean just to the point where the spring no longer moves freely ? I may have it to tight ? Not tight enough ? I need some guidance here .

#2 ·
Sounds like the short hoses are crossed. You sure they aren't?

As for the adjustment, you are tightning down the nut until all the parts inside the centering spring have collapsed and bottomed out together. Any more and you may snap the retaining pin on the end of the threaded rod. The approximate amount of tightning is "real snug".

At this point you want to mark the end of the bolt and the nut. There is a lot of play in the bolt, so you can almost turn the nut 1/4 turn before it actually starts backing off the bolt.

Take out all the slop, then watching the marks you made, back off the nut 1/4 turn on the bolt.

This adjustment sets the bias the system has for turning left or right. If it is off, the system will want to power itself more one way than the other. It shouldn't have any effect on the problem you describe, or the pressure in the system.

If you still have this problem, and the short hoses are hooked up correctly, then something else is messed up in the control valve.

#3 ·
I'm sure hoses are correct straight across port to port just like in the manual with there length I dont think i could cross them . They just make it to there connection now . I just took off the spring and I see a sleeve inside so have to tighten it till there . Bigger problem i had cap off and started it and the little plug seal blew now I have to take it apart now and fix that . My dumb move .

Stanger thank you for the info I see what you are talking about . This power steering worked great before i replaced seals .

Can anyone get a pic of there short hoses on a 67 for me .

#9 ·
I'm sure hoses are correct straight across port to port just like in the manual with there length I dont think i could cross them . They just make it to there connection now . I just took off the spring and I see a sleeve inside so have to tighten it till there . Bigger problem i had cap off and started it and the little plug seal blew now I have to take it apart now and fix that . My dumb move .

Stanger thank you for the info I see what you are talking about . This power steering worked great before i replaced seals .

Can anyone get a pic of there short hoses on a 67 for me .
Hey man I know is an old thread. Not sire if you will see this. Mine was running and I loosened the cap. Fluid going everywhere. What seal did you replace that would have blown on me??

#5 ·
the "TOP" hose on the power cylinder goes to the "OUTSIDE" port on the control valve...I just comp[leted this hook up on mine...Stanger is the expert on these things and like he said, it sounds like your short hoses are crossed. The sympotms being the side to side movement of the steeering wheel by itself. The adjustment nut inside the cap adjusts the amount of force it takes to steer the car in either direction, providing everything else is hooked up properly...start with those short hoses...Tom

#6 ·
Tom then i do have them crossed thank you . In the manual it shows different and thats what i followed .

Stanger thank you again on the adjustment . Your site says there is alot of things that are not correct .

#7 ·
There are different control valves and different orientations of the valve to the cylinder, depending on the year and model. However, the hookup should be the same on all.

On the control valve housing is four ports. The large one is for the return hose to the pump. There is one smaller port that is by itself. This is the pressure port to the fitting on the back of the pump.

The two remaining ports are side by side and are to the power cylinder.
The cylinder port on the valve, closest to the return port, goes to the cylinder port closest to the engine compartment.
The remaining port on the valve goes to the cylinder port closest to the ground.

#8 ·
Stanger and Tom thank you its back together and working fine . There is no more jumping in the wheel . I did follow pic is this manual and it is wrong . Again Thank You guys very much .

This is what makes a great site and have been here just a short time .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.