Widest tire on 66 stock wheels?? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

What is the best tire size for a 66 stang with stock rims? I am helping a friend that has a 66 convertible that has been sitting in storage for about 10 years. I would like to get him the widest tires possible.

Thanks
67fasbackshell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

the widest on stock is going to be 225 in the front.. and 245s on the rear but that might be tight to fit on the stock 6" rim.. I am assuming when you say stock rim you are speaking about a 14x6 rim. A great upgrade is a bigger rim.
rmousir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

The earlier post is the widest that will fit in the wheel housings I think. Putting a 245 (would have to be low profile) on a skinny stock wheel would cause all sorts of problems.

See:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp

for some info.

John Harvey
5R08A, "298"(+.060, 6,000+ rpm), T-10, Crane XR-i, Disc (F), Dual Master, Heim Strut Rods - Spherical Bearing LCAs, Roller Perches, Arning Drop, 1" & 75" Anti-Sway Bars, Export & Monte Carlo, "functional" hood scoop, and GW Subframes.

Victory Red, Eagle Wheels, Power Antenna, White Int. w/ Black trim, Right & *Left* Indicators, Tach, Cruise, and a Glass Rear Window.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/...psb38dc213.jpg
JSHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

An actual "stock" rim should be more in the neighbourhood of 5" or 5.5" wide IIRC - no way a 225 or 245 is going to work on that - it'll look like Roseanne Barr in a pair 26" waist jeans...
A 195 is perfect, a 205 is about the widest I'd go for something with a little more beef to it, without looking too "pinched" on the rim.
And regardless of what anybody tells you, although a wider tire may fit, you'll get no performance advantage out of it, due to the sidewalls being squeezed in so tightly onto the skinny rim, and pulling up on the outside edges of the tread. You can actually end up with LESS tread on the road than a skinnier tire that fits the wheel correctly!

"No trees have been killed in the sending of this message,
but a large number of electrons have been inconvenienced."

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...errr/043-8.jpghttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...caintNardi.jpg
'66 Coupe
'66 T-Bird Q-code (428) Town Hardtop

Board of Directors, Inland Empire Classic Mustang Club (Vice Pres. 2007-2009)
Mustangfeverrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Agree! If you go to the tire specs, for example on tirerack the range of acceptable
rim width is listed. Too wide a tire for the rim gives decreased performance, overstressing
the sidewall and in spirited driving you can lose the bead seal and suddendly have a flat!

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

205/70 is the widest tire you can put on a stock 1966 5" rim.
lesnchlsn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

In general, you want the rim width to be no less than 80% of the tread width or no greater than 90% for optimum handling. For shows, I have seen 70% used to make the tires look HUGE, but from a handling aspect, it would probably feel like the tire is laying on its side every time you turn a corner because of lack of sidewall support.

If the rim is 5.5", then minimum tread width would be 6.1" and the max would be 6.9"- but of course this does not take into account offset, etc.
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.