1970 How do I separate the front drum from the wheel studs? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

I started working on the front brakes of my 70 coupe. I couldn't get the drum off without taking off the locking nut/cotter pin/etc.,. So the drum is off, but the wheel studs, inner bearings, are all still in the drum. How do I separate the drum itself from everything else? And it's ok to tell me I'm an idiot..... I can take it.
Thanks
Skoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Best/easiest is a press!
If you don't have one, many parts stores and tire shops have them. The tire shop down the street has let me use his a couple of times at no charge (but then I'm in there a lot!).

"No trees have been killed in the sending of this message,
but a large number of electrons have been inconvenienced."

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...errr/043-8.jpghttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...caintNardi.jpg
'66 Coupe
'66 T-Bird Q-code (428) Town Hardtop

Board of Directors, Inland Empire Classic Mustang Club (Vice Pres. 2007-2009)
Mustangfeverrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Normally, you don't remove the drum from the hub assembly. It comes off just the way you have it and can be turned in a lathe as-is.

If you need to replace the hub or drum, they are held together by the press fit of the wheel studs. To separate, drive the studs out from the front.

To reassemble, you should press the studs back in with a press, but many people use a hammer or pull the studs in with a spacer and a lug nut.

Jay

Well, that's what all these pieces are supposed to resemble.

fireme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

Here is the in your garage method.

+

Place block of wood over the hub and hit the wood with the hammer, the hub will separate from the drum. Then pound the studs out with the hammer.

Fun and satisfying at the same time.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jims6t6

BFH

MCA # 35023

64 1/2 Convertible, 65 GT Coupe, 66 Coupe (one owner) Red 67 Mustang JR, Red 66 Mustang JR

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...rSport2006.jpghttp://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...mShaaron66.jpg
jims6t6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora

AH HA! You must have an original 1970 FORD Drum!...You have run into the old ORIGINAL FORD DRUM/ORIGINAL FORD HUB Dillemma which is common.....That drum has probably never been off of the hub...most likely. Don't waste your time trying to get it off..You will possibly ruin the drum and the hub at the same time. You need to have it pressed off by a qualified automotive machine shop..Look in the yellow pages or ask around your local auto parts store. It only should cost like 10 bucks per hub... If you plan to re-use the drum, You must enlarge the lug holes by at least one to three sizes up..otherwise, you'll never get it back on... and you'll have the same problem with a new drum as well... or you could go the other route and just replace all 4 or 5 lugs in the hub... The drum route is easier...and cheaper too. You don't need to have your new drums "re-staked".. It's completely unnecessary and totally safe. If you really want, You can just use a "C" lug clip on one or two of the lugs to retain the drum on from there on out..but you really don't even need it...

Good luck...You'll get there...

I had the same problem on my '66 Convertible. It had the original drums, and the original hubs.. I went the drum method...I had the original drums pressed off of the hubs, and kept the original hubs, and then I bought new drums, and just enlarged the lug holes on both drums by three sizes up.. It did the trick... It was perfect. I chose too keep the original lugs.. The reasoning for enlarging the holes is that the original lugs were "staked" by Ford, and by doing this, The seat lips on the original lugs are now enlarged, so if you don't enlarge the lug holes on the drum, It will never fit flush again. You don't ever have to worry about alignment. The center hub hole takes care of all of that. Like I said, some people choose to put in all new lugs.. You can do it that way too..but I think that its a bit more work, than just enlarging a few holes..

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible
MCA#70001

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
NEFaurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68fastwilliams

+

Place block of wood over the hub and hit the wood with the hammer, the hub will separate from the drum. Then pound the studs out with the hammer.

Its usually slightly easier pounding/pressing out the studs first, then the hub off the drum.

Shaun
www.streetortrack.com
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68fastwilliams

+

Its usually slightly easier pounding/pressing out the studs first, then the hub off the drum.

Damn, I should of had you do it!!

When I removed the studs the hub came with them.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Hottarod

If there is significant wear the brake pads are grooved into the drum. The drums are not gonna slide off. Just adjust the brake pads in so that they clear the groove in the drum and the drum should slide off. If it doesn't tapping it slightly around with a rubber hammer should do it.

I have actually seen brake pads seized to the drums from sitting so long. It usually takes some big screw driver prying to get them to come loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.