How much should welding cost? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much should welding cost?

I’m going to get the following replaced on my 66 coupe, I ordered the sheet-metal so I will only need the parts to be fitted and welded in… How much should this cost?

1. radiator support
2. front crossmember
3. both rear fender aprons
4. cowl cover panel
5. lower cowl panel

I’m trying to get a good estimate so I wont get screwed over for the price…
Thanks
64.5 vert
roboticservo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

That's really going to vary by who you hire. I just came from a fabrication shop to have them do some thread cutting, I asked if they knew someone that would mobile weld. The guy said he could bring their portable welder and do it at my house (weld in inner batt. fender panel, couple patches, etc.) on a weekend as a side cash job.
I won't know the cost until he's done.

You may want to search craigslist in your area under services - welding and see what replies you get, they may quote by the hour, etc. There should be plenty of people doing side jobs like this the way the economy is.
Jon
1967 Coupe 333ci CandyApple Red w/red int., AOD, 9" 3.50:1, Front PDB
'09 Warriors In Pink V6 w/glass roof - wife's Stang
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

What an idea.....I never thought of that! That would definately help out on my frame rail job.....and the welding would be better than my welding too.

Thanks for this post.

Gib
gibs67cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

As suggested to me in my current panel repair post be sure to tweak and fit as many panels as you can before the guy gets there to weld. The more time he spends welding and less fitting the cheaper it should be. You should be able to bend/tweak the rear fender aprons, etc. since the firewall and shock towers are there.
I've got a small mallet from Harbour Freight with a rubber end and a poly end that really comes in handy for this, takes more whacks but i'm less likely to overdo it and really bend it too much.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39528
The 'amber' side is harder than the rubber side.
Jon
1967 Coupe 333ci CandyApple Red w/red int., AOD, 9" 3.50:1, Front PDB
'09 Warriors In Pink V6 w/glass roof - wife's Stang
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK
As suggested to me in my current panel repair post be sure to tweak and fit as many panels as you can before the guy gets there to weld. The more time he spends welding and less fitting the cheaper it should be. You should be able to bend/tweak the rear fender aprons, etc. since the firewall and shock towers are there.
I've got a small mallet from Harbour Freight with a rubber end and a poly end that really comes in handy for this, takes more whacks but i'm less likely to overdo it and really bend it too much.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39528
The 'amber' side is harder than the rubber side.
Jon

Good point! It would be great if an expert sheet metal welder "have welding equip will travel".

I admit. I'm willing to DIY almost anything on/with/to a car. I'm not afraid to admit
I'm afraid of welding. Some of my best friends are expert by any standard including
nuclear and NASA. They have lost much of their vision from "peeking".

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to my69mach

Place a wanted ad on the VMF for a VMFer who has a welder in your area to come help you with your project. In return you could help him with his.
He can show you how to weld then you could buy your own welder for far less than what the professional welder will charge you and you get a new trade plus another new tool to play with.
Just an idea.
It's really not that difficult with a bit of practice.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my69mach
Place a wanted ad on the VMF for a VMFer who has a welder in your area to come help you with your project. In return you could help him with his.
He can show you how to weld then you could buy your own welder for far less than what the professional welder will charge you and you get a new trade plus another new tool to play with.
Just an idea.
Thanks for the suggestion. Good idea on finding a person who welds. Like I said above
I'm saving my eyes.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by my69mach
Just an idea.
Thanks for the suggestion. Good idea on finding a person who welds. Like I said above
I'm saving my eyes.
Bought a 67 cvt that was a complete front end washout. Sold it to a friend and included a perfect clip off a 68. He cut everything off at the cowl. Called an on site welder who turned out to be an old pro. I had loaned him a Lincoln AC-DC arc welder and he borrowed a mig with gas from his brother. The welder gave him a day's lesson, showed him a lot of stuff and gave him hands on instruction. That was 15 years ago and that car is straight up and no one would ever imagine it was a wreck. He still has it and it's great! He also did an inner rocker. Turned out to be a good welder. WTP?? Well, it wouldn't be a bad idea to learn with a mig. Craig's list seems to always have them and there are good deals out there. Even a new one would be a whole lot cheaper than a good welder. Most of the line up work is common sense and there is moral support and help from many on this board and some of the sites will serve as good tutorials.

For a welder to do all that work, would estimate it at $1500. Most GOOD welders use eye protection. Using a shield is not that big a deal.
yelostang is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Re: How much should welding cost?

Be very careful shopping by price,it's a lot of work to undo sloppy welding...I weld on these cars almost every day,and consider what what I do premium repair/panel replacement....Most "restored" mustangs have a lot of money thrown at them and little workmanship..I'm disappointed when I see a beautiful $5000 or more paint job,then open the trunk and see lower quarters with an inch wide flange in the middle,or find obvious flanged patches in the fender aprons,etc..I would not hire someone who doesn't have experience in auto body repair,and would ask to see other jobs they have done before commencing on the job...Lots of guys can weld,very few can do quality sheet metal welding,it's more of an art than a science..If you decide to sell the car in the future,cars with the best workmanship tend command higher prices and sell quicker....Take your time,shop around and the best quality is the best deal......
Nedcrane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is a guy that advertises on craigslist in Virginia Beach area that does these projects. He wanted $2000 to do my front floors and torque boxes. Seems way to high. The car is a shell.

I have a welder and the sheet metal and I'm going to handle it myself. A front cross and rad support should be pretty easy. Post up an add for a body guy on craigslist. A lot of them do side work pretty inexpensively.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
I won a special award

Default How much should welding cost?

I bought a middle of the road Miller MIG welder with a good auto darkening hood, leather apron, gloves, bottle of gas, wire, and all the extras to start welding. I paid $1500. And the store gave free welding lesson with the purchase. I would have paid far more than that to have someone weld my car for me. MIG welding is not that hard to learn. You can buy a decent MIG machine for a lot less than I spent.

I'd never done body work on a car before. I put a 1 piece floor pan in and all new metal from the firewall forward. It's turned out not to be that difficult to do. I've asked a ton of question here in the forum and people have been very helpful.

Maybe this would be an option for you?

Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Re: How much should welding cost?

Price varies with quality and experience.

What do you want, panels that are hung there or everything to fit and work? Do you want someone to make sure pinch seams are protected against rust and butt welds everything?

I taught myself how to weld. There is certainly enough places to learn on the web. Quality MIG welders with a constantly variable settings are not very expensive (cheap welders have less control over wire speed and voltage). Watch craigslist in your area, I seen some real good deals for full set ups in my area.

My learning was on my 66 Fastback. I did the basic beginner mistake of welds that had no penetration. Once you learn the sounds of good penetration and a proper set up then you can do anything.

It is not rocket science, just mostly common sense and being willing to learn. I would recommend that you do butt welds, they are much easier to do then most believe. Your panel looks so much better when done.

Do not hire just anyone to do your work. Look at what he has done. From what I have seen there are some people charging a lot of $$ for pretty poor quality work.

You can see what I have learned at my website:
My Model A

Look under the faq for hints on metalworking and welding.
kevlarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.