Removing bucket seats.... - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Removing bucket seats....

I'm removing the bucket seats from my coupe..Does the whole track come up, or just the seat?? Anything I need to knowWhat size socket do I need??Thanks, Lenny p.s. also removing the seat belt bolts, are there nuts behind those bolts?? What's the deal,Mc Neill
83,000 original miles,original engine, tranny, rear diff,
power steering,springtime yellow
originally a C-code, addded A-code intake, Autolite 4100, dual exhaust.
New leaf springs, KYB shocks, front coils,pertronix ign., thinking about dong a GT clone....
lleno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: moving bucket seats....

Here's a good tip I learned so you do not lose the bolt into the body:

Insert a cardboard paper towel roll into the hole where you access the bolt (cut it down to a workable length). That way, you won't lose the bolt, especially when trying to bolt it back up.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Half inch deepwell socket with a 4" extention. Remove the 4 rubber/plastic 1.5" circle plugs from underneath the car. Feel inside for the tip of the stud, Center your socket over it and remove nut. Repeat 4 times per seat. The entire seat with tracks can then be lifted up and out.

Seat belts have no nuts on the back. They are captive nuts welded to the floor pan.

Built a 1967 Shelby GT-350 Convertible Replica, a 67 Vert resto-mod and also built a 427 FE 67 Shelby GT-500R (R Stands for Replica). 427 Side Oiler, toploader 4spd, 4 wheel discs, 9" traction loc and a perfect body. What more could you ask for? Now I car hunt and horse trade and I am currently looking for the next project! Always seeking that elusive "reasonable" Shelby.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2503347
olddustyrelics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not to hijack, but I've been curious about this.. The holes for the seats (in the seat pans) are pretty large.. The track bolts, not so large.. Are there special washers that are used, or how does it work?
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

The bolts themselves are special with a wide flange on them.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well, I got the rubber caps out, of course my limited tools left me hanging. I do not have any deep wells, or even a 1/2 inch that will mate with any of my extensions. I knoccked lightly on the neighbors door, he must be snoozin'.BTW, I pulled a spark plug just to see..looks great, dry and clean,electrode in great shape,BUT the wire seperate from the metalfitting, had to fix that, took a little while, but I got it back togetherhad to split the plug cover a bit...OH WELL
83,000 original miles,original engine, tranny, rear diff,
power steering,springtime yellow
originally a C-code, addded A-code intake, Autolite 4100, dual exhaust.
New leaf springs, KYB shocks, front coils,pertronix ign., thinking about dong a GT clone....
lleno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

AAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!

So you are telling me you have to unbolt the whole track to remove the seat? You cannot just slide the seat one way or the other and unhook something inside the car? What a pain.

"Seat belts have no nuts on the back. They are captive nuts welded to the floor pan."

I think that would be true on a 66. Try telling my 65 that. A PO had installed some aftermarket belts. When I replaced them with some originals, the bolts were held on with nuts.

MCA Certified Judge 64 1/2 - 66 Concours
MCA Certified Judge 65 - 66 Shelby Concours
MCA Certified Judge OD/DD

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/w...MG_0265bg2.jpg
masspector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Remove the four nuts from under the car and the seat and track all come out in one motion. It's a very easy task. It's about a 10-15 minute job per seat.
B-CAM, PRO-M 75mm, BBK CAI, MSD Ignition

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/q.../7-7-10158.jpg
FriscoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a problem..I can't find a 4 " deep socket....One thing I'm not clear on is the reference to 1/2 "..Are we talking about the nut size or the size of the part where the extension fatens in....Private e-mail me if you want .Philip42@cox.net..Former Bay Area
Philip42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddustyrelics View Post
Half inch deepwell socket with a 4" extention. Remove the 4 rubber/plastic 1.5" circle plugs from underneath the car. Feel inside for the tip of the stud, Center your socket over it and remove nut. Repeat 4 times per seat. The entire seat with tracks can then be lifted up and out.

Seat belts have no nuts on the back. They are captive nuts welded to the floor pan.
I 2nd this to the T. Once the Seat and tracks are removed you can un-bolt the Track from the Seat Frame. The Nut Size is 1/2" underneath the Car. There are special Seat Track Mount Nuts that are used underneath the Car. They have a special Washer integrated with them.
MagMustangs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip42 View Post
I have a problem..I can't find a 4 " deep socket....One thing I'm not clear on is the reference to 1/2 "..Are we talking about the nut size or the size of the part where the extension fatens in....Private e-mail me if you want .Philip42@cox.net..Former Bay Area
A 1/2" deep well socket fits a 1/2" nut and is about 3" long. You need this because the nuts are on long studs and a regular short socket won't reach. You also need the approx. 4" extension on the socket because the deep well socket alone won't stick far enough out of the hole in the floor pan.

The suggestion to use a paper towel tube is a good one. If you lose a nut inside the seat pan you'll have a heck of a time trying to get it out, unless you have an early '64.5.

Frank

1967 Saddle/Burnt Amber coupe, C-code T5 5-spd replaced the 4-spd, 302 replaced the 289.
crustycurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

+2 on all the above - the seats really are that easy to take out - pop the 4 plugs, then a 1/2 inch deep socket on an extension.
What an AWESOME idea about the cardboard tube I have had such fun over the years feeling around the floor under the seatpan for those seat stud nuts over the years.....
It was easy when the floors were rusted right out, I could just reach in and get them - but after the floors were replaced - I wished I'd read that trick earlier!
[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), orig engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in summer of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 gear, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Opentracker roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)
jfstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just began to remove front seats today and got baffled. This thread is a lifesaver. Will try again this weekend.
Gator60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Here's a good tip I learned so you do not lose the bolt into the body:

Insert a cardboard paper towel roll into the hole where you access the bolt (cut it down to a workable length). That way, you won't lose the bolt, especially when trying to bolt it back up.
Awsome Tip !

When you remove seat belt bolts
Mark them with installing a punch, screwdriver, dollrod
something so you can find the bolt holes again.
I just left them in until ready to install again
SKEL A STANG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.