cam from 302 fit a 351w? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default cam from 302 fit a 351w?

Basically what happened is our 351w stang came with a cammed 302. The 302 sounded much much better with the cam it had. The 302 let go when a valve let go and dropped down into #5 making quite a commotion. I beleive the cam is ok, i'm not sure of the lift or duration specs but it sounded really nice and gave it some decent power.

I know i'm going to have to order a new set of pushrods if it will fit in the 351 but should I do anything else before putting this thing in? Maybe have a machine shop check it, make sure everything is ok. Anything else I should do when I swap the cam? Maybe new rockers and springs?

I'd like to try and tackle this one myself as I swapped the motors out and all, just had it dyno tuned so the A/F is as close to perfect as possible.

BTW: the 351 has only about 3k on it so I shouldn't need any bearings right?
boostedzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: cam from 302 fit a 351w?

A cam swap is relatively simple. Are both cams flat tappet? If so then you should be able to use to use the pushrods from the 351. If the 302 is a roller cam then you have a different set of issues. Another thing to consider is the valve springs. Are they capable of handling the lift of the cam? Do you know what springs/heads are on the 351 right now? Bolt down rockers are just that. Bolt them down to 20 ft pounds and you are done. No need for new ones.

If both cams are flat tappet and the valve springs on the 351 are good then you basically pull the cam and lifters out of the 351. Then remove the lifters from the 302 making sure to put them in the same order when you install the cam on the 351. It's quite simple.

Other thoughts/advice for general cam swap.

Drain the radiator into a clean/new bucket and then you can refill the rad with it. Around here disposing of fluids is a pain and since yours should be fresh at about 3k miles I would reuse it.

Keep the water pump bolts in there holes. They are specific to each hole and a pain if you don't remember which one goes where.

Don't use the cork gasket on the ends of the intake manifold. Just use a thick bead of RTV. Let it setup about 10-15 minutes before dropping the intake down.

The national chains will rent you a balancer puller. Don't beat on it with a hammer/crowbar. I actually saw someone do that.

Use a torque wrench for all bolts

You can resuse the timing set if it only has 3k on it. Some people would get a new one. I would probably reuse if it is in good shape.

Some more details and we should be able to give you better advice.

You won't need new bearing because you aren't touching the bottom end.
rhyno9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Remember to use the 302 firing order when you put the plug wires on.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: cam from 302 fit a 351w?

Hmm...

Still no answer if this is a roller or not, but I am assuming it is a flat tappet cam...

1) Used cams must either get new lifters or be matched to the individual used lifters that we previously used. This means the same lifters on the same lobes.

2) Installing a cam where you don't know the lift and duration is asking for trouble: broken valve springs and/or valve/piston contact. You may get lucky; you may not.

3) Bigger engines need bigger cams. A wild, not street friendly cam on a 302 may act mild on a 393. Always be sure to check for piston to valve clearance and valve spring compatibility. Do you know what pistons are in the 351? Flat tops vs dish makes a huge difference in how much lift you can handle.

If this was a mild 302 cam, chances are you won't run into serious issues; as the others state it will fit and may change the firing order. It may also be a bit disappointing on a larger engine.

Good luck,
-Rory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.