1971 Mustang Eleanor, interesting... - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default 1971 Mustang Eleanor, interesting...

i just found this interesting

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...249139307.html

GT500916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
White Elephant Guy

Send a message via AIM to obsidianspider Send a message via Yahoo to obsidianspider Send a message via Skype™ to obsidianspider

IIRC the real Eleanor was a '71 masquerading as a '73.

[lightbox]http://www.gonein60seconds.com/gone/images/9.%20Eleanor.jpg[/lightbox]
Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think the original YELLOW Eleanor was really 2 cars-1 they kept undamaged and 1 they wrecked-I think 1 was a 1971 and 1 was a 1973...
6hypoconv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
I won a special award

Default Re: 1971 Mustang Eleanor, interesting...

Looks like a clean car, but overpriced.

The real and original Eleanor

According to the Gone in 60 seconds website,

“ Eleanor” Is a 1971 Fastback Ford Mustang played the role of a 1973 Mach 1 Ford Mustang, a true lady both beautiful and tough and is the "Star" of Gone in 60 Seconds. Eleanor is the only Ford Mustang in history to receive Star title credit in a movie…making “Eleanor” a household name.

The original car as it appears today,

Believe it or not, this car still runs and drives today. I remember when I first saw this move over 25 years ago. It was a terrible movie. The acting was horrible. But then the crash scene came on. 93 cars wrecked in 45 minutes. One of the most awesome chase scenes I've ever seen. Better than Bullitt in my opinion. And no CGI special effects back then like the 2000 version Gone in 60 Seconds. It's sad now 35 years later to see all the cool cars wrecked (66 or 67 Fairlane convertible cut in two, Challenger and Road Runner wrecked among others). Part of what I think makes the original so neat is because the movie was low budget. It was so low budget that the same guy wrote, produced, directed, financed, acted (lead character), and stunt drove the Mustang. Some of the things seen in the movie were unplanned. The big crash where the Mustang spins out and takes out the light pole was not supposed to happen.

The fire trucks that pull up to the accident on the Vincent Thomas Bridge were real fire trucks going to a real call when they came across the movie accident scene. And some of the pedestrians seen yelling at the cop cars during the chase scenes were people that weren't aware that a movie was being made and were angry that the cops weren't stopping for the crashed movie cars with stunt drivers in them. I own this movie on both DVD and VHS.

Youtube video with part of the chase with the light pole accident
Youtube video of part of the chase scene with the big jump
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6hypoconv
I think the original YELLOW Eleanor was really 2 cars-1 they kept undamaged and 1 they wrecked-I think 1 was a 1971 and 1 was a 1973...

That's correct, all though I'm not sure exactly what year the undamaged one was. You see both cars together at the car wash at the end of the chase scene.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Old 07-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am going to have to watch it again, I don't know that I remember actually seeing "both" cars together at the car wash. Could they have been filmed before and after as two scenes edited together with just one car?

1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible (Procharged/423 RWHP)
1969 Fastback, 351C, TKO 600, T-lock, Shaker, slats, fold down, yadda yadda, etc.
1972 Mach 1, 351C, FMX
1931 Model A Station Wagon 150B

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...46%20small.JPG

Here are my cars:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...gEmporium.html
69 Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

i met a guy that was friendly with the 60 seconds guy (halliky)? or something
anyhow he had tons of memorabilia there from the film also lots of very interesting very rare cars and told me the guy made another film called ,,junkman,, wich is car related and another film all with his own cars etc there was a scene with a car (charger i think) and a water tower anyhow apparently the watertower came down early ontop of his car killing him and the film never got finished. just what i was told and seemed credible
anybody know anything about this?
carpunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Search his name (HB Halicki) and read all about it. You are pretty close on the info. There was a special a couple years ago done by his wife.
'07 GT Vert (The family car)
'66 Coupe (For fun)
Previously owned: Blue '66 Coupe, Red '66 Coupe, red '68 Coupe, Black '87 GT HO, Red '00 GT Vert
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Rustang
I am going to have to watch it again, I don't know that I remember actually seeing "both" cars together at the car wash. Could they have been filmed before and after as two scenes edited together with just one car?

Definitely two different cars. The car wash scene with both cars is here at 8:12

Link

Also you can see the other car parked on the ride side of the road at the 4:00 mark in this video,

Link

I was pissed when they rereleased the movie on DVD, they redid the audio. They changed all the music and sound effects. I thought the original soundtrack was fine and felt the 70's music fit really good. I hope they release a DVD with the original soundtrack.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

It was a good chase scene, but they wrecked
the front fender early-on which really ruined
the look of the car during the chase. Note that in the later 60 sec movie, Bullett and Diamonds are Forever, they kept the cars intact, car and chase looks great!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Halicki didn't die on the set of junkman.

he was killed during the filming of gone in 60 seconds 2. that was when the water tower fell.

I have all his movies on DVD with commentary.
79cobraII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bill73ragtop
Default Re: 1971 Mustang Eleanor, interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpunk
i met a guy that was friendly with the 60 seconds guy (halliky)? or something
anyhow he had tons of memorabilia there from the film also lots of very interesting very rare cars and told me the guy made another film called ,,junkman,, wich is car related and another film all with his own cars etc there was a scene with a car (charger i think) and a water tower anyhow apparently the watertower came down early ontop of his car killing him and the film never got finished. just what i was told and seemed credible
anybody know anything about this?
I recall the accident during the filming of the sequel happened here in WNY (North Tonawanda).

I remember also being at the premier of the 1st movie (also in WNY) -- all six of in the theater - 3 of them being local newpaper reviewers. HB Halicki was at the premier and had the surviving Eleanor on a trailer parked out front of the movie theater. Before the movie began he pulled it off the trailer and zoomed around the parking lot a few times. It was an interesting (and funny) afternoon.
1969 Conv
Bill73ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but...

Actually, the accident happened in Kenmore, at the warehouse complex where our Eleanor clone is seen parked in our avi...The watertower cables took down a telephone pole, which is actually what killed him. It was one of the first places we went after we got the car done...the club in Dunkirk (I can't spell it..kachsko or something, lol) is gone, we went down there and the building at that address is not what's in the movie.

We have the original soundtrack on CD, we found it listed on Ebay once-including the song where he mentions Eleanor. We also have the original VHS with the "real" sountrack on it.

I've researched myself silly on the second Eleanor from the movie and can't find out anything about what happened to it.

1971mach1, do you have any other pics of your car?? We have yet to find pics of another clone that is really a clone, not just a yellow big body with some black on the hood. I had to join when I saw your car on this post (I was actually hunting for reference to a 160 tooth flexplate and this thread was archived a few below one on a 159 tooth plate).
73eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Mach1 is not really a clone of 60 Sec. It's like the Diamonds are Forever car, except in yellow. No black hood, no side stripe, stripe on rear deck with Mach1 logos on rear and front fenders. No spoiler or front air dam, origional Ford Motor Co hub caps. It also has all origional paint, tape stripe and logos.

The 60 Sec movie car had a black-out rear deck, sorta like a Boss 351.
Looks like it had a custom rear spoiler too.

Last edited by 1971mach1; 11-15-2010 at 07:17 PM.
1971mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ah...I was kind of excited and bummed at the same time to find out someone else built one. Ours isn't done, but is painted to match the original. It's funny you mention the Boss, after reading old articles and really looking at stills, we think Eleanor really was a Boss 351. We even put the flip gas cap on ours even though it wasn't correct for a 73. I attached a few pics of ours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016.jpg (18.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 5086726409_98b4f688e3_m.jpg (12.0 KB, 28 views)
73eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.