Convertible Top Installation - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #31 (permalink)

I have been given a complete draft of Richards document to comment and I can assure you that it is a comprehensive work on the top. An incredible amount of research has been done that will greatly benefit the mustang hobby. He needs to be supported with any feedback he asks for.
Chrisk PM sent
Cheers Raven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #32 (permalink)

Raven, PM sent
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #33 (permalink)

PM sent
Scootchu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #34 (permalink)

If it's not too much trouble, could you send me a copy, as well?
Thanks,
drspencer1@yahoo.com
drspencer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #35 (permalink)

Must be that time of year... just checked in for the first time in awhile. Biz travel.

Once I get home I'll reply to the dozen or more PM's I have recieved... Not ignoring the requests, just don't have the hobby stuff on the road with me...

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - CS/GT
8F01X : 65A I 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 to-be

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...pr_07_tiny.jpg
dalorzof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #36 (permalink)

Hello,
I stumbled upon this thread while researching convertible installation for my '66.
I've been restoring this car for the past few years, and am at the final steps (new top!).
I was initially planning to farm this job out, but seeing what it will cost (about 600-800 for labor) i'm rethinking that.

I would love to see your doc, and would be happy to provide feedback
thanks!
va176jb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #37 (permalink)

Same here, I have a new Kee top with plastic curtain as well that needs to go on. I bought it thinking how hard can it be, I had a Jeep Wrangler and replaced that top at least 3 times..... If you can forward me a copy of your guide I will provide feed back on it as well.

Thanks much

Chris
jvlch98@msn.com
Hendy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #38 (permalink)

If you have time.I could use a copy of that doc as well.

Giddy68
sakapoo@yahoo.com
giddy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by va176jb View Post
Hello,
I stumbled upon this thread while researching convertible installation for my '66.
I've been restoring this car for the past few years, and am at the final steps (new top!).
I was initially planning to farm this job out, but seeing what it will cost (about 600-800 for labor) i'm rethinking that.

I would love to see your doc, and would be happy to provide feedback
thanks!
i have a bit of a problem on my hands - i decided against doing this myself, and brought it to a shop (thank god). the guys at the shop have been doing this a long time, and have done many many mustangs. but for some reason, they are having a terrible time getting my top to fit.
they are using an Electron top and can't get it to fit - the top seems to be too narrow at the rear edge of the rear quarter windows by about an inch (the part where the top is bolted to the frame, under the rubber). is this affected by the frame adjustment at the balancer?

could it be possible that a different frame was used? (the car is a '66, could a later model frame be installed? how could I tell?)

the shop manual doesn't have a lot of detail and i'm lost as to what the issue it, as is the shop.

i would LOVE to see the doc that has been put together on this - pretty please?

thank you for any info you might be able to provide!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #40 (permalink)

Bless you all for installing your own tops. If the 7 years compilation of a 350 page manuel doesn't intimidate you then you just haven't tried this yourself yet. It's one thing to teach yourself welding to glue together a unibody car that's been sitting in a field for 20 years but installing a top to look good and work well is much harder. There are good top shops, but not on every corner, I would suggest that you hire this work out to someone who has done this many times .. and even then, plan on a return for adjustments. and take that from the voice of lack of experience ....
justjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjon View Post
Bless you all for installing your own tops. If the 7 years compilation of a 350 page manuel doesn't intimidate you then you just haven't tried this yourself yet. It's one thing to teach yourself welding to glue together a unibody car that's been sitting in a field for 20 years but installing a top to look good and work well is much harder. There are good top shops, but not on every corner, I would suggest that you hire this work out to someone who has done this many times .. and even then, plan on a return for adjustments. and take that from the voice of lack of experience ....
do you have a copy of a manual? the shop i have doing this is having a hard time and i'm looking for any info i can get to help them
thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #42 (permalink)

I'm known to blab too much. Taken your "modern car" to the auto shop lately? People seem aghast at $600-$800 labor for R&R vert top.

Done 3 myself. IMO $1000 is a bargain! I DIY cause it's my hobby.

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #43 (permalink)

Your right $1000 is a bargain and well worth it. No I don't have a manuel after I discovered a top shop.
justjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #44 (permalink)

I want one also but how do I "PM" ? I'm new at this

Bill
abbywig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #45 (permalink)

As this thread has been resurected, and I noticed the comment:

"If the 7 years compilation of a 350 page manuel doesn't intimidate you then you just haven't tried this yourself yet."

Just a clarification.

The time spent was documenting down to the #8-32 screw type/head/finish (and similar minutae) on the numerous differences in early 65, 65-66, late 66-67, late 67, and 68 top frames for the concours types... so don't confuse the master doc with a "top install". Chalk and cheese....

Installing the top is tricky, but for the handy DIY-er who is willing to take it on, look at the process, plan it out, and invest in the time to do it (a weekend) the top/rear curtain install is not beyond the skills of the handy/patient/capable.

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - CS/GT
8F01X : 65A I 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 to-be

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...pr_07_tiny.jpg
dalorzof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.