T-56 conversion - my research - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #31 (permalink)

Default T56 install pics

I'm in Aussie and these pics are from a company that supply and install the TKO & T56 transmissions. Pic T56 has a remote clutch bleed line. The cross member is from a falcon, in Pic T56.3 you will see how he has mounted it and he states that there are no mods to the trans tunnel when fitting. I'm thinking about having one installed as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T56.1.jpg (88.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg T56.2.jpg (87.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg T56.3.JPG (89.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg T56.4.jpg (88.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg T56.5.jpg (97.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg T56.JPG (65.0 KB, 51 views)
marko65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latamud View Post
I took some pics of my crossmember, when I get home I'll post them. I used a foxbody crossmember, cut a few slits in it to bend the humps higher to tuck between the frame rails. I used round rod to brace the spots I cut. I cut a lot of the flange off too to gain more exhaust clearance.
I'd love to see those pics. I had planned on making my own crossmember out of plates but if the modified fox will work then that may be much easier
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Ron Morris-like Motor Mounts
DIY Engine Crossmember
DIY Camber Eccentric Eliminator Plates
buening is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko65 View Post
I'm in Aussie and these pics are from a company that supply and install the TKO & T56 transmissions. Pic T56 has a remote clutch bleed line. The cross member is from a falcon, in Pic T56.3 you will see how he has mounted it and he states that there are no mods to the trans tunnel when fitting. I'm thinking about having one installed as well.
Thanks for the pics! The crossmember looks similar to the fox body from what I recall. I like how they avoided having to relocate the parking brake cable, something I've heard was pretty much mandatory in this conversion. It is also neat how they have the bleeder set up, although the bleeder is pointing down so I wonder if it wouldn't trap air?
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Engine Crossmember
Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #34 (permalink)

Well I finally got the headers bolted up last night. I hate the driver's side header that is 2nd from the front. What a beotch it was. Anyways, here are a couple pictures. I really don't think you would have a problem with clearance from any location. If anything 9 o'clock, like mine is likely the tightest.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...G_5545-1-1.jpg
333 with 555 rwhp and 486 rwtq, EFI, Vortech V2 trim blower with 11.5 lbs of boost, H2O/Meth Injection, T56 6 speed, JMC clutch, Steeroids rack, Ron Morris Front and TCP G-bar Rear Coilovers, Cobra brakes, Boyd Magneato wheels. Basically a money pit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrqA9...ature=related#
68EFIvert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #35 (permalink)

Thanks for the pics! It's been awhile since I've been under my car to look, but if my headers are like yours then I shouldn't have any problems. Good to know!
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Engine Crossmember
Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #36 (permalink)

I wanted to share this. I received this message from a new member(Jan2010), zero posts. The key word is RESEARCH.

Re: your lakewood bell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by ANONYMOUS
I guess that lakewood bell was the right depth. I hope so. I just bought one the adapt my t56 to my small block in my 88'. What are nutserts? Just a few q's from a newb.
Here's my parsed response.
Quote:

"..........Please don't go buying parts and then GUESS it's going to fit and blame me if it doesn't. If you want to ask questions I am very glad to answer them and give recommendations or even help you figure things out (preferably before you go buying parts) or if you want to try it a different way. Now here's WHY...
Are you using a Viper T56? If so then yes it has the same length input shaft as the T5. The Cobra T56 is shorter and I'm not sure if it will work with a T5 bell. I'm not sure about GM T56 shorter or longer. If you have a Cobra or GM T56 let me know I'll tell you how to measure it and I'll compare it to mine while it is removed from the car and we can go from there..........."
Bart
Viper T56
Cobra IRS
latamud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #37 (permalink)

Update on my parts gathering. Parts purchased thus far are:

Quicktime RM-8031 bellhousing -- New -- $350 from a group buy
Spec Stage II SF482 kevlar clutch and pressure plate -- Slightly used (one run on dyno) -- $190 from Corral.net classifieds
Spec SF05A billet aluminum flywheel (yes I know DD negatives with lightweight flywheels) -- New in box -- $250 from Corral.net classifieds
Pro 5.0 billet shifter with Steeda Tri-Ax shifter -- Slightly used -- $75 from SVTPerformance.com classifieds

If you look up the normal prices for the above parts, you'll realize how much my thriftyness has saved me. Bellhousing is $500 new, clutch/pressure plate is $310 new from American Muscle, flywheel is $335 new from American Muscle, and the Pro 5.0 shifter is $185. That is a normal price of $1,330 and I paid $865, a savings of $455 (35% savings). Including the $900 trans, I'm up to $1,765 for the conversion.

I'm still working on getting a clutch pedal and yoke, among other items. Still a ways to go! Once all parts are purchased, a new thread will begin for my conversion.
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Engine Crossmember

Last edited by buening; 01-26-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #38 (permalink)

This thread is awesome, I have a line on a LT1 firebird t-56. I am going to start researching the use of that tranny in my 67 coupe. I love the .5 6th gear in those.
MP Power front discs
1" & 3/4 sway bars, 620 springs, CM mideye leafs, export brace,GR-2s, subframes,
Old Air HVAC, Borgeson PS
Kyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #39 (permalink)

Shifter location on the GM T-56 is about 6" further back than what was used on the Cobra and Viper engine. You'll have to cut a new hole in the trans tunnel and you won't be able to use a factory console.
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Engine Crossmember
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEISLERGENE View Post
There are a couple of options on the speedo.

1 D&D Performance can mod the tail to accept a Mechanical speedo.

2 There is something called a Cable X box from Abbott electronics.

However I believe for the money new electronic gauges would be the best bang for the buck.
I swapped the 9 out for the Cobra IRS, I reused the ABS sensor and tied that into the programmable electric speedometer. Yet another option.
Viper T56
Cobra IRS
Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #41 (permalink)

Clutch pedal assembly is on the way! Paid $150 + $20 shipping off ebay for a clutch and brake pedal assembly with hanger. I may end up doing the roller bearing conversion, but the bushings in my hanger are still in excellent shape. That puts the grand total up to $1935 including the price of the transmission. I'm still looking for the slip yoke on the Cobra forums, but may end up buying a new one from Modern Driveline as it seems finding just the used yoke is a challenge. The other thing I need to buy is the clutch actuation system. After that its fabbing up a crossmember and eventually figuring out the speedometer situation. I'm seriously considering the Modern Driveline setup shown below with the McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing. That will all be around $650, the same price as the Keisler kit. I'm getting closer!

06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Engine Crossmember
Old 02-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
I wanted to share this. I received this message from a new member(Jan2010), zero posts. The key word is RESEARCH.

Re: your lakewood bell

Here's my parsed response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buening View Post
Clutch pedal assembly is on the way! Paid $150 + $20 shipping off ebay for a clutch and brake pedal assembly with hanger. I may end up doing the roller bearing conversion, but the bushings in my hanger are still in excellent shape. That puts the grand total up to $1935 including the price of the transmission. I'm still looking for the slip yoke on the Cobra forums, but may end up buying a new one from Modern Driveline as it seems finding just the used yoke is a challenge. The other thing I need to buy is the clutch actuation system. After that its fabbing up a crossmember and eventually figuring out the speedometer situation. I'm seriously considering the Modern Driveline setup shown below with the McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing. That will all be around $650, the same price as the Keisler kit. I'm getting closer!

I like that master cylinder! I just installed mine in the firewall, just the cheap wilwood $40 generic. Still fabbing up my push rod. I bought a McLeod hydro throwout bearing on Corral or $200 new. Someone decided to go another route and wanted to get rid of it.
I used the same hydro bearing when I swapped the Ford T5 in my Barracuda, used the Keisler MC that time they have nice stuff, wasn't happy with the people on the phone there though.
Viper T56
Cobra IRS
Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #43 (permalink)

Does anone know if a T56 from a Dodge v10 truck will work? Or if there is an issue with it that makes it less desireable?
OCHOHILL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #44 (permalink)

The thing I like about the ModernDriveline is the bellcrank system. It gives you proper leverage on the master pushrod while reusing the stock clutch rod hole. People often install the master too far down the firewall and lose the proper leverage needed for the M/C. They then complain about the pedal being stiff but don't realize they lost a lot of leverage. Mounting it at the proper height often interferes with the brake booster, so this is a good compromise to get both leverage and keep my brake booster

OCHO, I'm not aware of any differences in the SRT Ram truck's T56. AFAIK the SRT Ram received the exact same motor as the Viper, so it should be the same Viper that everyone else uses........but don't quote me on that
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Engine Crossmember
Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #45 (permalink)

Well crap, got the clutch pedal assembly in the mail and the hole in the clutch pedal is worn more than I thought.

Does anyone have any suggestions on fixing it? I have thought about a plug weld to fill in the worn part of the hole. I would basically build up the weld and keep drilling the original hole to keep the entire hole from filling. The other option would be to drill the oblong hole out so that it is round and then press in some kind of bushing. A concern with option 1 is the heat from welding affecting the strength of the pedal. A concern with option 2 is getting the drill bit centered so that it doesn't take any more steel out of the front of the pedal. It would also remove some of the good metal that is left. Below is a pic and the front edge of the pedal is pointing down.

06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Engine Crossmember

Last edited by buening; 02-02-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.