1968 ford mustang instrument voltage limiter(regulator) - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1968 ford mustang instrument voltage limiter(regulator)

Hi there, i have a 1968 mustang with stock gauges. Origionally when i bought the car, all gauges were pegging. I metered the cvr and found 12v in and 12v out. So i replaced the cvr and my fuel, and water temp gauges started working fine, but my oil press just sat reading below the L. I have a new sending unit installed and the wire from the sender to the gauge has continuity. I grounded the wire from the sending unit and the needle on the oil press gauge flickered and only swung half way, so i replaced the gauge with another stock gauge from a friend who didnt know if it worked or not. As soon as i put it in, it smoked the cvr, tried another cvr and it smoked to. Put another cvr in and my old gauge, and the cvr didnt smoke, but my old oil press gauge still doesnt work. Everything else still does work in the cluster though.

Why did the other oil press gauge blow the cvr, is the cvr fused, or is it a fuse itself. Do you think the oil press gauge from my friend is actually blowing the cvr, or do i have another prob. Im thinking i have to find a working oil pressure gauge.

Thanks guys
Ray
rsomerton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsomerton View Post
Hi there, i have a 1968 mustang with stock gauges. Origionally when i bought the car, all gauges were pegging. I metered the cvr and found 12v in and 12v out. So i replaced the cvr and my fuel, and water temp gauges started working fine, but my oil press just sat reading below the L. I have a new sending unit installed and the wire from the sender to the gauge has continuity. I grounded the wire from the sending unit and the needle on the oil press gauge flickered and only swung half way, so i replaced the gauge with another stock gauge from a friend who didnt know if it worked or not. As soon as i put it in, it smoked the cvr, tried another cvr and it smoked to. Put another cvr in and my old gauge, and the cvr didnt smoke, but my old oil press gauge still doesnt work. Everything else still does work in the cluster though.

Why did the other oil press gauge blow the cvr, is the cvr fused, or is it a fuse itself. Do you think the oil press gauge from my friend is actually blowing the cvr, or do i have another prob. Im thinking i have to find a working oil pressure gauge.

Thanks guys
Ray

I would agree with you the gauge you got from your friend is shorted! NPD has new repro oil guage for $58.95. I'll bet if you put an ad (posting) in the
mustang parts wanted forum you'll get many responses! Lots of people have parts like this in their store room.

Good luck,
Slim

Welcome to VMF

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

Last edited by slim; 11-28-2009 at 12:58 AM. Reason: added welcome
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 02:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsomerton View Post

Thanks guys
Ray
I would be interested in the outcome as my 67 oil presure gauge also sits just above the L side ,was thinking of changing it...as it seems to work but never rises more than i said...thinking after 40+ years it could be faulty.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Take care when installing gauges that one or both "posts" don't contact the instrument panel housing. Otherwise you'll be chasing your shorts for a while.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1297355726
Mustang_Charly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Charly View Post
Take care when installing gauges that one or both "posts" don't contact the instrument panel housing. Otherwise you'll be chasing your shorts for a while.
This is almost certainly what happened. The crappy cardboard on the back where the posts attach is actually a very effective insulator, but it's very easy to get it slightly wrong and let the smoke out of your instruments. Before you fry another $100 worth of CVR's check this out.
22GT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 01:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the insight guys, i took apart the oil press guage, and the heating strip that has the coil around it that heats up and deflects the needle was disconnected from the needle itself and shorting out. Reconnected it very carefully, calibrated it, reassembled, and now all stock gauges are working fine. Thanks for all the info guys, it was a great help.

Ray
rsomerton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.