How do i get the heater core out of my 67 mustang? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do i get the heater core out of my 67 mustang?

I can't get the heater casing out of the car!

I removed the 2 heater hoses, and then one screw that holds the top of the casing to the dash.

I also removed the Glove Box.

I still need to disconnect the A/C piping,

But what else? Does anyone have pictures. I'm tempted to dump the old anti-freeze back in, run the hoses from intake to outtake and bypass the whole heating system and paying someone to do this.

I've spent 5 1/2 hours trying to figure this out and 3 trips to the local car parts store.

Please help!
Pictures are even better!!
Pwnm30rdi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just did this same job on my 65. You should be pretty close, there might be one other bolt holding the case in toward the center of the dash, but that should be all. Make sure you've got all the ducting and vent tubes removed. Then you have to remove the 4 nuts around the heater motor inside the engine compartment. Its on the passenger side firewall just below and to the right of the passenger hood hinge. The housing should be able to be removed at this point.

If 67 is the same as 65, which I think it is, there are s bunch of clips holding the two halves of the casing together. You'll have to pop all of those off and then you'll have access to the heater core for replacement.

Start to finish should be about a 90 minute job. Don't pay anybody to fix this, you can do it!

Good luck!
VintageBlueOval is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good idea while you have it apart is a new foam kit to re-seal all the little doorways in the heater chamber.
Cheap to get and this is the ONLY time you'll have a chance to get at it.
[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), orig engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in summer of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 gear, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Opentracker roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)
jfstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

You can't compare a 65 with a 67. The 67 has it integrated into the box and the 65 does not.

The AC has to be disconnected as do all the vacuum lines and the one cable. LABEL THE VACUUM LINES before you disconnect them. You are going to have to manuver the box around to get it out.

If you can live without the heater I would bypass it.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

68R CodeConv is exactly right. It's pretty close to the same as a 65 IF you don't have A/C. If you have a 67-8 with A/C, changing the heater core becomes a whole new ball game and is much more involved than non A/C cars.
okcmustangresto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

There are TWO screws @ the topside of the Htr/AC box. One outboard, one inboard. The box is a slip joint into the blower housing, secured with 'button' fasteners that must come out also. After disconnecting A/C lines, heater hoses, vacuum lines, cable, it's still a PITA to maneuver it out. While it's out, go through the whole unit- heater core (leak test it before you install it- sometimes new ones leak), evaporator, vacuum valves. Putting it back in is even more fun

Neil Hoppe
Old 12-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Check this out. It provides a good description of removal and installation of the whole A/C- heater system.

1967 Ford Mustang Air-Conditioning Installation - Mustang & Fords Magazine
tfo1515 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have given up. I keep running into more and more problems. I spent 6 hours working on trying to get the heater casing out. I had to run to the store 3 times to get different tools. Looks like I'm taking this to the professionals.

I think it is best if i stick with detail work and body work.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Get a shop manual, it will pay for itself in a few repair jobs. Dont get the chiltons manual from the parts store, get a Mustang shop manual.
PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Fast68back is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnm30rdi3 View Post
I have given up. I keep running into more and more problems. I spent 6 hours working on trying to get the heater casing out. I had to run to the store 3 times to get different tools. Looks like I'm taking this to the professionals.

I think it is best if i stick with detail work and body work.
The only tools required are simple wrenches and screwdrivers. If you don't have the Factory Service Manual you have been wasting your time. The whole job should take under 6 hours.

22GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
The only tools required are simple wrenches and screwdrivers. If you don't have the Factory Service Manual you have been wasting your time. The whole job should take under 6 hours.

It was just a bunch of little stuff, but no where open had a manual i already checked. Oh well I'm grumpy about it now, i know it should have been an easy job...
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Welcome to the Wonderful World of owning a classic car! One of the cool things about owning these cars, is you can do almost all the work yourself. You have to enter into the project with the right attitude, and knowledge. I learn everything from formums, how-to articles in magazines like Mustang Monthly, and just talking to people who have been there- done that. My best resource is my local Mustang club. Find one in your area and get involved. I've gotten so frustrated on things that should have been easy. sometimes you have to walk away, get on the computer and find some helpful hints, then get back to it the next day when your knuckles aren't bleeding and you are thinking more clearly.

Definately order the Factory Service Manual. It will be used often.

Have fun!
JTCope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnm30rdi3 View Post
It was just a bunch of little stuff, but no where open had a manual i already checked. Oh well I'm grumpy about it now, i know it should have been an easy job...
Unless you live near a Mustang dealer like I do (Glazier Nolan) you won't be able to just walk in off the street and buy this book. If you get on the phone now, you'll have it before the weekend and you'll be all set.
22GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Please don't take this wrong. Not blasting you. In fact maybe this doesn't apply to you
Have you worked on, taken wrenches to a recent auto, like zero to twenty
years old? A vintage Mustang, Camero or other vintage car of the 60's is like working on a Model A by comparison!

For years I've read about how impossible it is to diagnose/fix a vintage Mustang. Hey people try a vintage Infinite, Mercedes etc. in 20 years.

Sorry I blew up but...over and over I read "don't want to invest on a (shop) manual".
So...there goes Slim again!

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Does anyone have a site where they offer shop manuals that i can order?

I think I'll give it a try again. I'm sick today, and me + my dad's knuckles are all cut up & our hands are dry and worn out.

Tomorrow i will start cleaning some of my A/C parts, compressor, ect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.