What is the best tilt steering column? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is the best tilt steering column?

I came to a quick realization, after both of my boys (both bigger than me) tried to get into the 'stang, that it really needs tilt steering.

There is the ididit column, and the flaming river column.
I also want to change the steering wheel, from my stock (falling apart) plastic mustang wheel.

I am really confused after looking at the differences.

For a wheel, i am guessing that I may use a more economical choice from branda, or lecarra wheel.

I still don't know which column is going to work for me.

Any tips you guys can offer are much appreciated.
ripped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default tilt

I would also like to know which column would be a direct bolt in for a 65 F/B with a 4-spd.

Thanks Dave
dada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

i use the FR tilt column... I have nothing bad to say about it other than you have to splice the wires yourself and that the output shaft to the steering wheel is GM splined...
64.5 vert
roboticservo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SpitFire

If I recall correctly, there was a post on here about a guy's Ididit power rack and pinion system breaking. If that is true, I sure wouldn't want anything else they manufactured with something as important as steering.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a FR column and a Lecarra wheel. Like stated earlier, need to splice the wiring but not difficult. Very pleased with column.
B-CAM, PRO-M 75mm, BBK CAI, MSD Ignition

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/q.../7-7-10158.jpg
FriscoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 12:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

With '67 down you have a solid column right? No rag joint and the steering shaft goes all the way into the gearbox as one piece. This would mean that you have to change the gearbox also. Be sure to add that all up and there's usually an install kit that's >$100, I believe you're looking at ~$1000 to put it into a solid column car.

It would be nice to have tilt but I couldn't justify it for the cost so for safety I swapped in a '68-'69 collapseable column and had my gearbox rebuilt with a short shaft. If I come across a reasonable cost tilt column later it'll slip right in.

Is it their midsection that's in the way or legs pinced between the seat base and steering wheel? I also installed foxbody seats and mounted them 1"-2" farther back and have plenty of slide room now (6'1").
Jon
Jon
1967 Coupe 333ci CandyApple Red w/red int., AOD, 9" 3.50:1, Front PDB
'09 Warriors In Pink V6 w/glass roof - wife's Stang
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK View Post
With '67 down you have a solid column right? No rag joint and the steering shaft goes all the way into the gearbox as one piece. This would mean that you have to change the gearbox also. Be sure to add that all up and there's usually an install kit that's >$100, I believe you're looking at ~$1000 to put it into a solid column car.

It would be nice to have tilt but I couldn't justify it for the cost so for safety I swapped in a '68-'69 collapseable column and had my gearbox rebuilt with a short shaft. If I come across a reasonable cost tilt column later it'll slip right in.

Is it their midsection that's in the way or legs pinced between the seat base and steering wheel? I also installed foxbody seats and mounted them 1"-2" farther back and have plenty of slide room now (6'1").
Jon
Jon
I have the rag joint type steering column.
The wheel hits their legs when they get in.

My current column steering wheel is toast, as is the horn wiring, so I can sort of budget that toward a new column.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFire View Post
If I recall correctly, there was a post on here about a guy's Ididit power rack and pinion system breaking. If that is true, I sure wouldn't want anything else they manufactured with something as important as steering.
Just a quick note...ididit does not manufacture any rack and pinion kits.
Carter57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the 65/66 Flaming river replacement column, and the 67 and up? I assume it's the column length??
Old 12-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Ididit columns are good pieces, and they use Ford turn signal switches, not a GM one. Designed to connect easily to your existing wiring harness. The length of the columns is the same, but the electronics are different. 68 uses a different steering wheel diameter and the mounting to the dash is different too. 67 is kind of an oddball - 65-66 will interchange 68 and 9 will too. 67 has traits of both of the others.

Dave

David Stribling
Dave Stribling Restorations
Dave Stribling Restorations
mustangsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

I messed around putting a 68 column in a 66. It would work, with mods with a 68 steering box. I have an extra one in case I need it, The 68 box would have worked in the 66 V-8 with PS. The 68 Pitman would have attached to the 66 susp. So now, just have a 68 and am able to use a nice restored 66 woodgrain wheel on the 68 column and the horn works(Mustang blah sounds) TS will cancel on a left turn-most of the time!. So, if you use the 68 column in your 66, the 66 woodgrain will work. It does slide into the larger 68 column. If you didn't know Mustangs well, it would appear to be orig.
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangsurfer View Post
The Ididit columns are good pieces, and they use Ford turn signal switches, not a GM one. Designed to connect easily to your existing wiring harness. The length of the columns is the same, but the electronics are different. 68 uses a different steering wheel diameter and the mounting to the dash is different too. 67 is kind of an oddball - 65-66 will interchange 68 and 9 will too. 67 has traits of both of the others.

Dave
67 depending on if it is early or late mfg date will have either the same as the 66 or the 68. Mine is early and is darn near the same as my 65.

When I change both of them out, I will have to look at which column uses the best electrical hook up. I do not want GM style and have to splice the wires!

Mel
Woman and Mustangs are like Artichokes, It takes a bit of work to get to their hearts.
May your dreams turn into goals and your goals turn into reality.
http://aandmcustomtours.com
guruatbol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

I went with a ididit steering column due to issues with flaming river. No personal experience though. I was very pleased with the ididit. Easy to put in did have to adapt wirig to column but took maybe an hour. I ordered a universal coulmn since i needed the double D to go with the rack and pinion. You will need to run a horn relay which I did not due to painless has a horn relay unless you have aftermarket wiring harness. I ordered the gm splined steering wheel version but I am going to run a aftermarket steering wheel from billet spec. Have pictures of it in if you want to see it. I went with the paintable version.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

you will need to get another steering box... i got the FR box with the column, it was just under 400 for the box and another 300 or so for the column.
You can adapt your old box to your new column if you wand to put the effort in and attach a "u" joint between the two....
64.5 vert
roboticservo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 01:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

I am sort of planning on doing all of this with the borgeson power steering box swap.

I just want to plan everything correctly, box, coupling (u joint vs rag), column, steering wheel/adaptor etc.

Getting good info from this thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.