Underbody/frame restoration ballpark? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Underbody/frame restoration ballpark?

Are we talking 1-5k, 5-10k, 10-15k for non-concours job to get the rust out and make my car decent? I don't plan on storing it. I do want to hand it down to my kids in about 30 years.

Click to view Underbody
Click to view more misc underbody.

If you're interested to see the rest of the car:
Click to view Interior
Click to view the chrome and ragtop

I know shops are reluctant at estimating based on photos but I'd like some people that have been around the block to possibly provide me with some expectations.

Thanks in advance.
Goosebrau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to VMF. Without seeing your Stang I'll guess 5-15K.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

To pull a number out of the air can be tough.Do you happen to have a shop in mind? To be very vague you can guesstimate probably in the neighbor hood of 500 hours worth of labor (or more depending) to restore A mustang (body,suspension,paint,interior,etc.)I'm vague on purpose because the car has rot(which is the only way I buy them) and when you deal with rot there are always hidden surprises.I can't really tell from the photos but are the fenders,doors, quarter panels,wheel houses,front frame rails,etc. In sound shape? I know a guy who is doing a car right now for a customer,That is soo rotted that by the time he is done replacing all of the rotted metal he will probably be in the 500 hour area by the time he's done just with the metal replacement/fabricating.Then he can proceed with the resto.
EastCoastClassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have three places in mind right now. A couple near Chicago and one in Iowa.

Here are their sites.

Mustang Restorations Inc.
Mustang of Chicago
H&W Speed Shop Inc. Performance + Fabrication
Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

from what i could see the main problem areas are your 2 front froor pans and possibly little patches on inner rocker although hard to tell,looks like rest could be blasted and coated with rust preventer and painted. you are missing the plate that ties the 2 under seat pans together on convert available aftermarket for about 55.00. probably less than 2k. wes
mustang656man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for. The car is sagging quite a bit in the middle (creeks a little over big bumps). The convertible top is getting gouged out when the windows are up because the body is out of alignment.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebrau View Post
Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for. The car is sagging quite a bit in the middle (creeks a little over big bumps). The convertible top is getting gouged out when the windows are up because the body is out of alignment.

Car is sagging IMO we're talking a lot more than $2k! Wes, you have tons of experience. I recpect your opinion but sagging quite a bit?

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't know how to do the work but I have looked at my original shop manual and parts catalogs that break out all the parts so I can see how the car is put together. The inner and outer rockers are shot. You can put your hands inside what is supposed to be a closed rectangle frame. That is where I think the majority of the problem is at. I was guessing around $6k if my cousin helps pull the interior out to save shop time. He's done 3 Cameros and a Nova. He's really good but has started college and has no time. How I wish I could hire him because I can trust him 100% to do an honest job. Don't think he can do it though.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

I see a lot of surface rust... but.

Those inner rockers are where your biggest challenge is. Thats not a repair for the faint of heart
midpack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know how to do the work but I have looked at my original shop manual and parts catalogs that break out all the parts so I can see how the car is put together. The inner and outer rockers are shot. You can put your hands inside what is supposed to be a closed rectangle frame. That is where I think the majority of the problem is at. I was guessing around $6k if my cousin helps pull the interior out to save shop time. He's done 3 Cameros and a Nova. He's really good but has started college and has no time. How I wish I could hire him because I can trust him 100% to do an honest job. Don't think he can do it though.

The outer rocker panels were heavily galvanized. It's rare for them to be rusted out. The inner rocker is often rusted out the givaway is normally the sagging you described. If the inner rockers are rusted out figure on at least front floor pans and torque boxes. You are just about right on....talking around $6K. Now while your there check the cowl vents for rustout. Repair of this is $1-$4k depending on how bad.

Lookng at the pics you posted. It's not hard to magine a looks good underside repair could be done pretty cheap and covered over with thick black tar undercoat. Adjust the panels to minimize sagging appearance. My 68 vert underside looked about like yours. It drove as you described. Replaced the inner rockers, front floor pans and torque boxes. It's now solid as a rock.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just got a PDF estimate from a place in Chicago based on my photos. Was nice of him to send when others won't. Shows all the parts prices, labor, tax. It also comes with the disclaimer that seeing it in person or getting into it can determine +/- dollars. Estimate was for almost $7700. That includes Rubberized 705G undercoating.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

In your pics I didn't see much rust that would make the car sag per-se. Mine was a lot worse than that and it didn't sag? Did it just sag when it was on the lift or when it's on all fours on the ground? Do the doors drag on the rocker when you open/close them?

MCA #72655
aolshove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I just got a PDF estimate from a place in Chicago based on my photos. Was nice of him to send when others won't. Shows all the parts prices, labor, tax. It also comes with the disclaimer that seeing it in person or getting into it can determine +/- dollars. Estimate was for almost $7700. That includes Rubberized 705G undercoating.

The last line bothers me! Regardless of the vintage car you shouldn't cover repairs with rubbrized undercoating! Also why Chicago? The overhead there is less than NYC. San Fran, Boston maybe !! Bet it's among the highest in the USA!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm in Milwaukee area, so I wanted somewhere within reason. The car sits in Cedar Rapids, IA right now. I'll have a shop there look at it this spring. I'm guessing they're lower. Plus my cousin said he'd help pull the interior and trailer it over for a low fee.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aolshove View Post
In your pics I didn't see much rust that would make the car sag per-se. Mine was a lot worse than that and it didn't sag? Did it just sag when it was on the lift or when it's on all fours on the ground? Do the doors drag on the rocker when you open/close them?
A little bit. The panel seems are all over the place, however when guys have seen the car up on a lift everyone always comments on how they've seen so much worse on average.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.