What is this car worth? GT500KR Clone - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is this car worth? GT500KR Clone

I just found a 1968 Hardtop that has been converted to a Fastback, it is in need of restoration, but it is in good shape overall. How much is too much do you think? Here is the auction: Ford : Mustang : eBay Motors (item 230447884548 end time Mar-13-10 14:44:59 PST)
StangFangs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

You are better off starting with a true fastback, value wise. I would be concerned about the skill of the people that performed the transformation. It may also be missing a lot of expensive fastback specific interior parts. The doors have some rust, maybe too much to save.

This car is a good candidate for a track car. I'm talking no interior, caged with a stout motor and tranny, similar to what Powerblock TV did recently.

This car would need a full restomodification. That is a lot of dough and it's still a converted coupe.
OCHOHILL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with the above.... Notice the rust on the fender aprons by the top of the shock tower. Every car I ever bought with that type of rust always has issues with the cowl or floors.. Maybe my bad luck... I would also be concerned with the quality of the conversion. Think resale after you spend thousands on the restoration and the the vin has 1 instead of a 2..... $3500-4000 tops...
1967 S code fastback
RCR GT40
1984 Porsche 911

Last edited by chatas1; 03-10-2010 at 08:49 PM.
chatas1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Potential for all kinds of grief. The regular old car grief is bad enough without taking on the horrors that could be lurking in that one. High-school kid with a sawzall and a 5-gallon tub of bondo? Unibody squared with 2x4s (or not at all) when the roof came off? Given the quality of the stripe and lettering job, I'm gonna assume the previous owner wasn't a perfectionist. Not worth the risk, IMHO- I'd rather shell out the money for a better candidate up front.

If there was any chance it was a VIN typo I'd consider it, but the owner's gonna get mighty suspicious when you ask to pull the fenders, so you're left gambling with a Marti report...
datac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

With the conversion being as old as it is you would think that you could see some obvious bondo cracking or something if it were done poorly. It could also possibly be a real fastback but swapped title/vin from a coupe.

ajfriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Whats do "KR" about it? Does it have a real 428 Cobra Jet? Or a 428 out of a T-bird? Or is it another 4 BBL 302 with KR stripes?
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Converted? The guy only talks about the door tag, so I'm going with 'I had a f'd up coupe with a title, so I swapped the door tag to this fastback so I could sell it for something other than parts.' Show me a fender VIN. Besides, we all know how easy it is to swap a dash VIN on a 68.
Someone takes his pants off and the rafters knock
Rock is dead they say
Long Live Rock!
67 conv. 289 4spd(mine), 67 coupe 289 Export(swmbo's)

ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jeff33702

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot View Post
Converted? The guy only talks about the door tag, so I'm going with 'I had a f'd up coupe with a title, so I swapped the door tag to this fastback so I could sell it for something other than parts.' Show me a fender VIN. Besides, we all know how easy it is to swap a dash VIN on a 68.
Exactly what I was thinking. It has correct fastback interior parts and fold down seat too. It's more likely that this is a fastback car with a coupe VIN. Potential for title issues - especially if the fastback was stolen. Think about how easily the insurance company could dodge a claim if it were ever in an accident.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Door panel and Cowl Vin match.

The guy sent me pictures, and the door panel and cowl vin match, could it be that they swapped cowl vin and door of donor car and it really is a Fastback, would looking at fender vin tell the truth to this mystery?
StangFangs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangFangs View Post
The guy sent me pictures, and the door panel and cowl vin match, could it be that they swapped cowl vin and door of donor car and it really is a Fastback, would looking at fender vin tell the truth to this mystery?
The doors are the same for coupe, vert and fastback. The door window is different. All that had to be done to use the coupe doors was put in fastback windows. Even the vert side/door windows are different from coupe.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.