Dynacorn 1965 fastback - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dynacorn 1965 fastback

Has anyone considered the 1965 fastback desert Mustang shell? It seem like it pretty solid has anyone used one of the things? Like I said it looks good from the photos.
Right now I have a chance to get a shell that is a legit "A" code fastback shell that is in the same condition as the desert Mustang shell.
r_boulware is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

what is the condition of it ?
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
what is the condition of it ?
The fastback I am looking has all the rust repair done to it..its perfect
Old 03-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Not quite sure what a desert mustang shell is, but if you're contemplating a real shell vs. a repro shell in the same condition, what's the hold up? Of course, I'm missing what a desert shell is.
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
Not quite sure what a desert mustang shell is, but if you're contemplating a real shell vs. a repro shell in the same condition, what's the hold up? Of course, I'm missing what a desert shell is.
Deasrt Mustangs is a place out in AZ where they take Coupes and convert them into Fastbacks. The Fastback that I am looking at here is a TRUE 5T09****** fastback shell and is going for half the price as the brand new repo shell and in the same condition as new also.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

If the shells are equal, I would go for the original one. Title in hand is much easier to deal with, especially in California.

1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible (Procharged/423 RWHP)
1969 Fastback, 351C, TKO 600, T-lock, Shaker, slats, fold down, yadda yadda, etc.
1972 Mach 1, 351C, FMX
1931 Model A Station Wagon 150B

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...46%20small.JPG

Here are my cars:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...gEmporium.html
69 Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hands down original (if you are concerned with resale)
Old 03-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Rustang View Post
If the shells are equal, I would go for the original one. Title in hand is much easier to deal with, especially in California.
shell are equal in condition but the real one is half the price...
I just want to know what a REAL one all cleaned up would be worth..vin 5T09A******
Old 03-24-2010, 03:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have a coupe to fastback conversion and it was done very well. Even you very knowledgable Mustang fans would not be able to tell unless you dug deep in the trunk.

Given that, for a nice build, I think in the end a real fastback is worth $5K more than a conversion car.
GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350R Klone View Post
I have a coupe to fastback conversion and it was done very well. Even you very knowledgable Mustang fans would not be able to tell unless you dug deep in the trunk.

Given that, for a nice build, I think in the end a real fastback is worth $5K more than a conversion car.
i never ever seen a fastback with that 1966 3 prong thing on the quarter inlay. as for as i know a fastback never came with them. so now we can tell ! i need a thing that looks like a tripped out circut breaker ! i second a real fastback is worth more then a conversion.
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 04:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

I still have my before pictures up and I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures on this forum.

Last edited by GT350R Klone; 03-24-2010 at 04:09 AM. Reason: I wish I knew how to post pictures on this forum.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

^^^^

His mustang looks awesome now who did the conversion?
nba1341 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

A body shop in San Jose CA took a rusted fastback and a california coupe and did the swap. From a metal standpoint, my car is almost identical from a factory produced fastback. There is really no way to tell, because there is metal in the same places as it came from the factory. They did not put in the brackets for the rear seat, but since I was going to be fabricating a package tray anyway, it didn't matter. They have claimed to do 10 of them. I am a picky guy and they really did a nice job on the metal work. I picked it up from there, sorted out the drivetrain (351W, toploader) picked up all the parts to put it back together, had it painted and now have a pretty nice ride for about $5K less than I would have if I started with a fastback. However, I think the value of the car is $5K less too, so not sure I gained much on the whole venture. However, it was a good starting point for what I wanted to do; V8 4speed disc brake car and it had a lot of the expensive shelby parts there; front valence, hood, quarter windows, roll bar and it was a pretty straight car.

The places I have talked to in AZ that do these conversions with Dynacorn parts have jigs, fixtures to make them straight and correct. The cost to do the metal conversion, if you bring them a coupe is $5500 and to buy a car, with the metal work done and a title $9,500.

Last edited by GT350R Klone; 03-24-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350R Klone View Post
A body shop in San Jose CA took a rusted fastback and a california coupe and did the swap. From a metal standpoint, my car is almost identical from a factory produced fastback. There is really no way to tell, because there is metal in the same places as it came from the factory. They did not put in the brackets for the rear seat, but since I was going to be fabricating a package tray anyway, it didn't matter. They have claimed to do 10 of them. I am a picky guy and they really did a nice job on the metal work. I picked it up from there, sorted out the drivetrain (351W, toploader) picked up all the parts to put it back together, had it painted and now have a pretty nice ride for about $5K less than I would have if I started with a fastback. However, I think the value of the car is $5K less too, so not sure I gained much on the whole venture. However, it was a good starting point for what I wanted to do; V8 4speed disc brake car and it had a lot of the expensive shelby parts there; front valence, hood, quarter windows, roll bar and it was a pretty straight car.

The places I have talked to in AZ that do these conversions with Dynacorn parts have jigs, fixtures to make them straight and correct. The cost to do the metal conversion, if you bring them a coupe is $5500 and to buy a car, with the metal work done and a title $9,500.
This is the place I am talking about...It is in arizona and they have the Shells for sale for $9500.00 ! Desert Mustangs is the place.

So they can take a coupe for 5500.00 and make a fastback with fastback parts for only 5500.00?
WOW, I thought it was more than that. But I did know about the shell for 9500 though..not sure if they are a good deal at that price.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

How much did they charge to do this conversion? What were the man hours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.